What's new

Are there any Kayak fishermen in here?

If so, what kind of boat are you running? How have you modified it to fit your needs?

I think this will be the next hobby I get into. This guys videos got me over the hump, I can feel the tranquility through the screen. I think the really good audio is what makes it so real.

Last edited by a moderator:
I fished the Willamette, the Columbia and the ocean from my OK Big Game for about 3 years. By the time I sold it, my kayak was heavily modified to match the moving water conditions. Getting through the surf and onto the fishing grounds was interesting with all the extra gear on board. It always provided entertainment for the dory fisherman and others on the beach.

I really didn't enjoy fishing on still water. But around here, I had lots of options.

Enjoy,
Jay

I have fished from my kayak. It's a cheapo 10 footer sit in style. It's OK for fishing still water, but I always struggle with the gear and sometimes the rod. I have used it to fish a river, it worked OK, I would float to a spot get out and fish, then float to the next spot, etc.

I prefer fishing out of a canoe now, both on still water and moving. I can keep my rods and gear organized and accessible, take a cooler, and it is easy to anchor in still water or drag a chain in the river to keep me mostly in the middle and slower than the current.

I'm sure if I were to invest in a sit on top 12 footer or longer the fishing would be easier; however, I'm happy with the canoe and will use the kayak for pleasure trips with the Mrs.

Good luck finding what works for you!

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Just bought a fishing kayak from a bud (week ago); a Pelican Castaway 116 ... there's a learning curve. Still learning. The one time I've had it out, there were quartering seas on the bearing I had to go ... less fun in a kayak than a real boat.

AA

I've got a Hobie Mirage Sport, best damn Kayak you could ever want. Peddle power is the way to go, more expensive but for fishing hands free is the best. Used in the ocean and freshwater, no problems in either. It's a bit scary during chop but I never worried about it. The Mirage Outback is the next up, 12.1 foot, it runs around $2300 but will last you a lifetime.

Last edited:
My budget won't allow for a Mirage, but they sure are cool.

My total budget will be less than that boat. I'm looking at the Perception Pescador 12.0, or possibly the Wilderness systems Tarpon 120. I figure by the time I get a paddle, life jacket, fish finder, fishing poles ( I figure 2 or 3 will get me by for now), tackle and everything that goes along with that, plus odds and ends, I'm hoping to come in under 2k.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Kayak fishing? Sounds interesting. It would be fun to catch one with a hook, but harpooning one would be more exciting, I think.

My total budget will be less than that boat. I'm looking at the Perception Pescador 12.0, or possibly the Wilderness systems Tarpon 120. I figure by the time I get a paddle, life jacket, fish finder, fishing poles ( I figure 2 or 3 will get me by for now), tackle and everything that goes along with that, plus odds and ends, I'm hoping to come in under 2k.

If you go paddle power there are plenty of great choices. I would go with one that has a good amount of storage, a live well/bait box is really nice. I never bother with a fish finder, never got the hang of using one tbh. I would take the money spent on a FF and get a really nice paddle, Werner makes a damn fine fiberglass model, really light and great for fishing. Make sure you grab enough mounting hardware for however many rods you plan to use. http://m.kayakfishmag.com is a great magazine for picking up tips and I like http://www.austinkayak.com for picking up gear, reliable and fast shipping on stuff you can't find in a B&M store.

If you go paddle power there are plenty of great choices. I would go with one that has a good amount of storage, a live well/bait box is really nice. I never bother with a fish finder, never got the hang of using one tbh. I would take the money spent on a FF and get a really nice paddle, Werner makes a damn fine fiberglass model, really light and great for fishing. Make sure you grab enough mounting hardware for however many rods you plan to use. http://m.kayakfishmag.com is a great magazine for picking up tips and I like http://www.austinkayak.com for picking up gear, reliable and fast shipping on stuff you can't find in a B&M store.

Thank you for the links, John :thumbup:

Fantastic info there. That Feelfree Moken 12.5 is definitely going on the list.

Thank you for the links, John :thumbup:

Fantastic info there. That Feelfree Moken 12.5 is definitely going on the list.

That Feelfree is really nice, everything you could possibly want in a fishing kayak. From what I've read the uni-track is really dang handy too. Although they have some pretty funky colors on hat thing, I would have to go with green camo.

I love fishing from my kayak but it's been a while and mine isn't a true fishing yak; it's a Dagger 12' Rec/touring hybrid. It is enough fun that I have thought of getting a SOT dedicated fishing kayak with rod holders etc. My kayak is a little awkward and cramped for fishing from.

Another thing I like is fishing from a creek/whitewater yak. They are small and easy to maneuver so getting into little nooks and crannies in a lake is easier. They are a true pain in the neck to paddle on flat water though and extremely cramped.
I will be following this thread, pretty interested myself.

What makes a Kayak a fishing kayak? Is it more than just places to hold equipment? Or are their other functional differences regarding shape and maneuverability?

What makes a Kayak a fishing kayak? Is it more than just places to hold equipment? Or are their other functional differences regarding shape and maneuverability?

Fishing kayaks are sit on top instead of sit inside, makes them safer and easier to fish from. They are also a bit wider making them more stable. They have a bit more weight capacity for all of the extra supplies that fishing takes and they normally have rails or other mounting spots for the additional gear or even a motor. Fishing from a regular kayak is super uncomfortable.

Fishing kayaks are sit on top instead of sit inside, makes them safer and easier to fish from. They are also a bit wider making them more stable. They have a bit more weight capacity for all of the extra supplies that fishing takes and they normally have rails or other mounting spots for the additional gear or even a motor. Fishing from a regular kayak is super uncomfortable.

Thanks for the insight!

I don't know if you are still following this or not. I recently bought two Perception Kayaks, an 11.5 Striker, and a 10 Pescador. I am not new to fishing in general, bit very new to kayak fishing. That said, I can offer some feedback on the boats I bought.

I bought the Striker for myself, mainly because of the stability and weight rating. (550 Lbs.). I am a pretty large dude. (6' 3", 250). I find it to be very comfortable to sit in/on, and very stable. The biggest downside I see it that it is kind of a wanderer when paddling. I am fairly new to kayaking, but have done a ton of canoeing. I am getting better at it, but I don't know that this would be a first choice if I had to paddle a long way on flat water. I am not interested in adding a tail rudder, but I think it would probably cure the problem.

I bought the Pescador for my wife who kayaks more to "tour" and less to fish. It does handle better than the tri hull Striker, but is not nearly as stable, and I don't see it being as user friendly from a strictly angling perspective. Admittedly, it is a shorter boat than mine, but they aren't as stable a design.

The Striker is ten pounds heavier than the Pescador you are looking at. It won't matter unless you are thinking about portages.

the Striker is discontinued, so if you can find one still, you can get a really good deal. I got mine for $425.

Either way, you should be able to get out at under 1K to satisfy the conditions you listed. They are both good boats. Entry level to be sure, but plenty suitable to get started. I have a fishing boat, so I don't ever see myself getting too high end.

I will post some pics when it stops raining (which is the only reason I'm not fishing right now), with the stuff I added. I'm decked out pretty sweetly, and only have $700 ish into the yak, which would leave you $300 to get started on tackle. You can get moving easily for under a grand.

Can't even tell you how much fun I've had fishing from this boat. It's really a challenge compared to boat fishing, but in a fun way. It's quiet, and you can see SO much. The biggest advantage to me is that I can get into some of these really small lakes that don't have boat landings. Something to be said for being the only one on the lake.

Good luck.

Top Bottom