What's new

Razor Heft/Adding Weight to Gillette NEW

Hi friends,

I have noticed that I can bring extra life out to my blades if I put them into my Red Tip Super Speed. Less skip and jump on those tough patches of whiskers, presumably due to the heft. For example, I had an easier time shaving with a Red Tip SS (blade on shave 8, 65 grams) than a NEW (blade on shave 7, 54 grams).

Maybe I should look into adding some weight to one of my NEWs to test the theory. Any advice on a different handle to use or a way to add weight to the NEW? I have a short comb and two long combs to experiment with (short comb is my favorite of the 3). :thumbup1: The lightweight bar handles have been a point of curiosity for me.

I like the red tip, but it doesn't seem quite as efficient.

Any help or advice is appreciated!

Josh

Just get an MR8 handle for use on a three piece razor from Maggard's Razors. I recently picked up a "Scratched/Dented" from them for $13.00. I can't even find a defect on it.

Some folks have placed BB's and epoxied them into the long bar handles, to add some weight

I will have to get some BB's and give it a 'shot'. :lol:

Just get an MR8 handle for use on a three piece razor from Maggard's Razors. I recently picked up a "Scratched/Dented" from them for $13.00. I can't even find a defect on it.

Good deal! I don't mind spending that amount of dough. I ordered one. Hopefully it works on both the LC and SC heads.

Thanks gents.

If you get a Maggard handle you'll have to turn down the top to fit in the recess on the bottom plate, unless its a flat bottom NEW.
If its a 30s new, the handle top won't fit through the bumps to fully seat.
I use my ball end handle from my tech and it works great compared to the bar handle.

If you get a Maggard handle you'll have to turn down the top to fit in the recess on the bottom plate, unless its a flat bottom NEW.
If its a 30s new, the handle top won't fit through the bumps to fully seat.
I use my ball end handle from my tech and it works great compared to the bar handle.

I hope the M8 handle fits! Just from eye balling it, I figured it would fit the LC base plates I have at the very least (the bar handles on my LCs are different and larger at the top, and the base plates are not recessed as close). The ball end on my tech does fit all of my NEWs, and adds about 10 or 11 grams of weight. That should be sufficient. Will give it a test drive tomorrow.

I hope the M8 handle fits! Just from eye balling it, I figured it would fit the LC base plates I have at the very least (the bar handles on my LCs are different and larger at the top, and the base plates are not recessed as close). The ball end on my tech does fit all of my NEWs, and adds about 10 or 11 grams of weight. That should be sufficient. Will give it a test drive tomorrow.

On my new which is a ball end, the top ring where the handle touches the baseplate won't fit between the two round ridges. Easy fix if you put the handle in a hand help drill and spin it onto a sander or grinding wheel lol.

A better idea would be to get some Tungsten putty they use for pinebox soap cars.
I did this with one of my Tech handles and was able to add 30+ grams to the weight. It now weighs as much as a Slim.

You can roll the stuff up into tiny slivers and pack it into the handle - here's a video a guy made and I followed:

Last edited by a moderator:
I put my MR8 handle on a $10 Utopia razor. No modification required.

There isn't much issue using Maggard handles on many razors. We wlare discussing the vintage Gillette new. There are two humps on the bottom of the bottom plate that doesn't allow the neck of the handle to seat properly.

If the handle is hollow and you have some shotgun shells, cut open the shell and pour out the shot, then drop the shot into the razor handle, to keep it from shifting while using light a candle and drip the hot wax down the hole until filled. You can add quite a bit of weight to a bar handle razor or a ball end NEW handle this way. If you don't shotgun yourself you might know someone who does and could get one shot shell from them. Any size shot from about # 5 to # 9 should work well.

The M8 handle fits on my LC heads just fine. Clocks in at... 180+ grams. :lol: Maybe overkill, but it certainly works. I don't think I realized what a behemoth this handle is.

Shaved just fine. I was afraid of getting some irritation and razor bumps, but it was all good. Personna Lab blue (11) plowed through the whiskers with no sign of slowing down.

$20150625_173938.jpg

A better idea would be to get some Tungsten putty they use for pinebox soap cars.
I did this with one of my Tech handles and was able to add 30+ grams to the weight. It now weighs as much as a Slim.
This is exactly what I did with my NEW handle. Lead split-shot sinkers are unavailable in NH and I don't have or know anyone with shotgun shells, so I went the tungsten putty route. It's significantly more expensive than lead but about 30% more dense. It's available at Hobby Lobby for $11 and 40% coupons are always available, bringing the cost down to $6.59 per ounce. My NEW razor weighed 52 grams, and I was able to stuff 48 grams of putty into the handle. So now I have what I call my Gillette NEW 100.

Nice! I tossed some mojo tungsten putty into an online shopping cart.

I don't think I could find BBs small enough for the SC's handle. Smallest size I could find was .177 ". I live in the city, and I didn't know of anyone who has a shotgun here in town, otherwise I would give the shot in the shell a try.

Top Bottom