What's new

Santa Maria del Fiore

TSE aka The Shaving Evangelist uploaded a review of this soap yesterday on YouYube. He made it sound pretty darn good, especially for the modest price.

IMHO, these guys are paid by the product people, they are nothing more than infomercials. I beleive emperical experimentation or from the consensus from these boards are more telling than people who have already shaved and now just lathering the soap and pretending they love it.

IMHO, these guys are paid by the product people, they are nothing more than infomercials. I beleive emperical experimentation or from the consensus from these boards are more telling than people who have already shaved and now just lathering the soap and pretending they love it.
The guys who make these video reviews I'm sure are not paid by the vendors or manufacturers. Anyone can make a video and review whatever they want.

Getting back on topic of SMF, I love the smell and mine is very soft. I've given a sample to a friend as a blind test. I can't wait to hear his opinion.

I'm fairly certain as well that they aren't "paid" for reviews. However I can guarantee that some get their palms greased with free product for review and early acces to releases or products for test. I can think if one in particular, who gets a certain Portuguese brush makers brushes and LE's, like this.

As for Joe, I can't say what he does. What I've observed is he will pay homage to some of these guys who've reviewed RR before and who he developed relationships with. They do seem to get early access to try out their homage product, but none have said they've gotten it for free as far as I recall. Did they get free product from Joe, maybe, maybe not, I can't say. I do know from personal experience that the RazoRocktober soap and AS that he created as an homage to the month long celebration that I created, was not gifted to me in advance or upon release. I bought it all myself. Granted I'm not a video reviewer ;)

But yeah, I don't think paid in $ is really what goes on

I'm fairly certain as well that they aren't "paid" for reviews. However I can guarantee that some get their palms greased with free product for review and early acces to releases or products for test. I can think if one in particular, who gets a certain Portuguese brush makers brushes and LE's, like this.

I can see how that could happen in some cases. I looked over TSE's channel, though, and he reviews a lot of products by a lot of different brands. Unless he is really high profile, and companies are just clamoring to get their products reviewed by him, I can't imagine he has arrangements with all of them. FWIW, I'd never heard of him prior to Musikmann's mention, and his videos have pretty low view counts compared to some other Youtube reviewers.

Besides, if enthusiastic reviews are the criterion for determining if a reviewer is getting his palms greased, then I'm calling out Royalpar right now for having arrangements with SMN, AdP, ABC and Xpec. :wink:

I can see how that could happen in some cases. I looked over TSE's channel, though, and he reviews a lot of products by a lot of different brands. Unless he is really high profile, and companies are just clamoring to get their products reviewed by him, I can't imagine he has arrangements with all of them. FWIW, I'd never heard of him prior to Musikmann's mention, and his videos have pretty low view counts compared to some other Youtube reviewers.

Besides, if enthusiastic reviews are the criterion for determining if a reviewer is getting his palms greased, then I'm calling out Royalpar right now for having arrangements with SMN, AdP, ABC and Xpec. :wink:
This was a "lol" moment.

Just watched the TSE review and learned absolutely nothing. Also, that poor plisson.

I'll be buying this if Joe makes it in 2016

Last edited:
Just watched the TSE review and learned absolutely nothing. Also, that poor plisson.

I'll be buying this if Joe makes it in 2016
I can't watch shave product reviews, from anyone.

As for the soap, I've only it twice but really enjoyed the scent and performance. When I'm done my puck of Haslinger in a week or so, it's looking pretty good that SMdF will be my next soap to 3017.

I never gave TSE a free jar, he bought it like everyone else, nor did I pay him or grease his palms. I prefer honest reviews because it gives me a good idea about how good a product is. Just to set the record straight.

I never gave TSE a free jar, he bought it like everyone else, nor did I pay him or grease his palms. I prefer honest reviews because it gives me a good idea about how good a product is. Just to set the record straight.

Thanks, Joe.

Since you're here, any chance you might enlighten us as to the odds of SMdF becoming a permanent offering?

I can't watch shave product reviews, from anyone.

As for the soap, I've only it twice but really enjoyed the scent and performance. When I'm done my puck of Haslinger in a week or so, it's looking pretty good that SMdF will be my next soap to 3017.
You're killing me, stupid sabbatical.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”

Received my pot today. Initial impression is that it is a substantial product by sheer volume and heft alone to start with. I really like the glass jar and even though the label was slightly wonky, (adds to the artisan appeal?) it had a very intriguing fragrance once the lid came off. Some settling had occurred in transit but I would still call it FULL.

Overall very nice impression particularly at this $19.99 base price point. I rarely shave on a daily basis any longer but I will try this product out soon and do a review of sorts after first use. I do not do video reviews myself either. I have used my fair share of products since December of 2006 in this wet shaving experience so I believe I will have to see how this product ranks among some of my past favorites.

I have dealt with Joe and Italian Barber in the past on at least one other occasion and just as the last time, this was a no hassle transaction. I noticed the buzz about the soap here on B&B...inquired on his site, found it to be not in stock but was offered a chance to be emailed when it returned. In a day or so the email alerted me and I promptly purchased. I would rank this vendor very highly with their excellent communication throughout the process.

Last edited:
Top Bottom