What's new

How to take care of skin while shaving with an electric razor?

I am 14 in the 9th grade and i have quite alot of facial hair for my age usually takes 2-3 days for me to grow a beard. I shave with an electric razor. I had started shaving when I was 13 in the 8th grade. I dont like shaving too often anymore because i am aware of how it is bad for your skin. Can you please list ways down below to take care of skin while shaving with an electric razor. I have been starting to get quite a bit of acne and razor bumps since i have started shaving and i just wanted to know ways to get rid of these and prevent them form occuring even more. I really hate the shadow it leaves, acne, and razor bumps lol so please help thank you. Oh also to add on, is there something else i can use instead of aftershave after a shave because i have heard how aftershave is bad for your skin.

Welcome to B&B! Great to see young folks getting involved.

Whether using a DE razor, cartridge, or electric razor good prep is key. It can be as simple as shaving after you shower. A good way to help your skin after shaving is to use witch hazel. You should be able to find it at your local grocery store or drugstore for about $3. It helps reduce inflammation and may help with your acne.

Good luck!

Welcome to B&B! Great to see young folks getting involved.

Whether using a DE razor, cartridge, or electric razor good prep is key. It can be as simple as shaving after you shower. A good way to help your skin after shaving is to use witch hazel. You should be able to find it at your local grocery store or drugstore for about $3. It helps reduce inflammation and may help with your acne.

Good luck!
+1 on this and welcome! Glad you joined us!

Step 1. Set electric shaver down.
Step 2. Buy Merkur 34C or Edwin Jagger DE89.
Step 3. Pick up some cheap, quality soap like Arko.
Step 4. Get yo-self a shaving brush.
Step 5. Enjoy shaving again.

If you're dealing with acne, understand this is a process we've all had to go through in adolescence. What's starting to happen to you now is your glands are producing more sebaceous fluids than before. Keeping your face, and thus the pores upon it clear and clean are going to help quite a bit. There are medications that your Physician will be in a better position to speak with you about. What we can offer here is simple things, things like witch hazel and washing your face a couple times during the day. Remember though that your body is going to be working against you for a while an don't get frustrated - it does pass. Try not to dig at pimples nor pop them. You can run into more damage that way and it can leave scars.

There are others here who are likely more recently experienced with the problem and the potential offerings Doctors have in their arsenal these days. Again, the biggest bang for your buck, after cleanliness, is going to be what they can offer. Get with your parents and see what modern medicine can do to help.

Oh... about your electric razor, clean and keep clean that cutter assembly; use some alcohol to sterilize it. Don't use it right after, wet alcohol sucks on your nerves :( If you like electrics and can afford one, Braun's self cleaning systems are nice, but they come at a price. )

When I was your age I dabbled in electric razors (still have the one my Mom gave me as a Christmas present when I was 12). When I used one the best advice I got for prep was to apply baby powder to my face prior to shaving. It's a dry lubricant that allows the shaver head to glide along your skin as it cuts the whiskers down. It worked a treat for this and I can still smell the scent of that powder on the head of the shaver all these years later.

That said, I quickly abandoned the electric shaver and switched to a straight razor because the electric didn't get all my stubble (there were always a few whiskers that were left behind no matter how diligent I was and no matter how much time I spent trying to mow those last ones down). I switched back to wetshaving (I experimented with cartridges and old fashioned double-edges as well as a straight) because it got everything, hands down. This is a personal preference so use what works best for you.

As for the acne you're experiencing it's perfectly natural at your age. And in my day a lot of guys started experiencing it too at that stage (I was one of the luckier ones that didn't have much acne). BUT I do remember that the guys who started wetshaving soon experienced a sharp reduction in acne on their beards - almost to nothing. The electric guys (few and far between in those days - the 1980's) did not see a reduction in acne. This seemed to be a truism as many a high school teacher remarked at that time about how wetshaving reduced acne for boys at that age even going back to the 40's and 50's. That was their experience (and I went to an all boys high school).

You're young and I encourage you to try shaving many ways (double-edge, canned foam, shaving soap with a brush, high end creams with a brush, and cartridge blades) just to see what works best for you. You needn't try a straight razor as a blade is a blade no matter what. But give every combination a try for at least two weeks just to see what works for you. It's fun and can be very rewarding.

Hope that helps.

Chris

I had severe acne as a teenager, so severe that nothing topical worked and the only thing that cleared it was a powerful prescription medication from a dermatologist that essentially snuck into the pimples via my bloodstream and destroyed them from the inside. A Trojan horse is how I like to think of it. Anyway, as bad as it was (the medication dried my skin out to the point that I pretty much bought stock in Vaseline to keep my lips moist), it got rid of my acne for good. My only regret is that I waited so long to address the severity of it with a dermatologist (I went when I was 17, started having acne at 13) and therefore picked at the pimples for years and gave myself permanent ugly scars.

Last edited:
I flip flopped alot between electric razors and cartridge razors in high school. I've got sensitive skin and had some acne. I still do even in my 40's.

Were I able to go back in time and go about it again, I'd stick to wet shaving with a DE. Good face prep, good shave soap and non-alcohol based after shave (that would be key!). Changing razor blades every 2-3 days to keep things nice and clean. Save the alcohol dip for your razor not your face. :) Learn good facial prep and shaving technique and your face will clear up, mine does. And do yourself a favor don't pick at your face or chew your nails both vectors for infections and dirty things.

-Stephen

Yes get to a dermatologist, he might be able to help you in addition to a good shave/face cleaning regiment.

-Stephen

I had severe acne as a teenager, so severe that nothing topical worked and the only thing that cleared it was a powerful prescription medication from a dermatologist that essentially snuck into the pimples via my bloodstream and destroyed them from the inside. A Trojan horse is how I like to think of it. Anyway, as bad as it was (the medication dried my skin out to the point that I pretty much bought stock in Vaseline to keep my lips moist), it got rid of my acne for good. My only regret is that I waited so long to address the severity of it with a dermatologist (I went when I was 17, started having acne at 13) and therefore picked at the pimples for years and gave myself permanent ugly scars.

When I used one the best advice I got for prep was to apply baby powder to my face prior to shaving. It's a dry lubricant that allows the shaver head to glide along your skin as it cuts the whiskers down. It worked a treat for this and I can still smell the scent of that powder on the head of the shaver all these years later.

Sounds like a pretty good plan!

I don't have experience /w electric, but I wish you luck. Welcome to B&B.

Have you tried using a cartridge razor with a good soap and brush, for now, until you decide to try a DE razor? I am sure your parents wouldn't mind getting you an inexpensive boar brush, soap and cartridge razor. Bic still makes a single-blade one. You can easily find them. Omega makes some very inexpensive boar brushes and Arko, Cella, or most any soap in the Wiki would serve you well. I think this option might be better than your electric razor, in my opinion. Best of luck to you and you have great courage to join this forum and ask your question! Congratulations, young man! :thumbup:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Bic-Sensitive-Shaver/10320810

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Category:Brands_of_Shave_Soaps

When I was an electric shaver, massive quantities of Lectric Shave applied before during and after the shave helped a lot.

Honestly, learning to shave with some kind of single blade razor will be immensely better for your skin, and can be done very cheaply.

Step 1. Set electric shaver down.
Step 2. Buy Merkur 34C or Edwin Jagger DE89.
Step 3. Pick up some cheap, quality soap like Arko.
Step 4. Get yo-self a shaving brush.
Step 5. Enjoy shaving again.

This. All of this. Can't +1 this enough.
I HATED shaving my whole life, until making the switch to DE shaving. Now it is a very soothing ritual every morning.

Top Bottom