What's new

Book suggestions please.

I am wanting to read a new book or series. I enjoy many different genres but right now am looking for something like a few series of Dean Koontz and Stephen King. I really enjoy the Odd Thomas series and the Frankenstein series from Koontz, and most of what i have read by King I quite enjoyed. I would like more books like these if you can suggest something great to read.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Point Blank
Black Light
A Time to Hunt

-Stephen Hunter

Aztec
Aztec Autumn
Aztec Blood

-Gary Jennings

Last edited:
You might enjoy the James Rollins books. They are action thrillers that are loosely (very loosely) based on a different historical mystery with each novel. Kind of like Dan Brown but more tongue in cheek and action oriented. The series is fairly sequential though, so if you want to try one, try an earlier novel of his first.

I loved early King, but not much after 1990. I also liked early Koontz (esp The Door To December). I don't know how many of the following are still in print, but the early works of Robert R. McCammon (They Thirst, Swan Song, Stinger, Night Boat, etc) are very similar to King. Another old horror favorite of mine is The Wolfen by Whitley Streiber. For quick, mindless horror where no one lives more than a page or 2, there's the Crabs series by Guy N Smith or anything by Harry Adam Knight (Carnosaur, Fungus..).

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
The first three or four books from The Dark Tower series by Stephen King are great. Many will agree that the last few books of the series are not nearly as good as the first few, though. Even if you don't finish the series (I gave it up in the middle of the 5th book), the first few are well worth the read.

I was pretty disappointed how the dark tower series ended. I still have not read the latest, but as it has no effect on the ending I am not sure I will.

BTW I do digital books and audio books. I use my tablet to read or listen to them on my ipod, or both.

I have been a big Koontz fan and recommend all of his books, with the exception of the last few years, other than the latest Frankenstein and Odd Thomas.

Does it have to be a complete series or one in progress. I know waiting for the next book can be very problematic. So, these are not really like Stephen King or Dean Koontz but I think they're great so far:

The Gentleman Bastard Sequence by Scott Lunch (in progress)
The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss (in progress)
The Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson (in progress)
The Black Company by Glen Cook (in progress)
The Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe (complete)

THis may not get a good match, but I've only seen the Odd Thomas movie. It reminded me of little of the Dresden Files from Jim Butcher. Books 1 & 2 are ok, but the series really kicks up around book 3.

Find "The Wheel of Time" series. fantasy. ogres. trollocks. magic, battles etc. Pg 13 . 14 books total (Heavy) paperbacks were 2 inch plus thick. It took me a few years to read the whole set but I to keep waiting for the next book to come out.

The Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin. It is what Game of Thrones on HBO is based on. Fantastic (in all senses of the word).

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever, by Stephen R. Donaldson
Bring a dictionary. Maybe some puppy uppers.

The Culture series, by Iain M. Banks.
Stand alone, but set within the same sci-fi universe. The Player of Games and Use of Weapons are high up on my must read again lists.
Then read Feersum Endjinn and Against a dark Background because they're great too.

Find "The Wheel of Time" series. fantasy. ogres. trollocks. magic, battles etc. Pg 13 . 14 books total (Heavy) paperbacks were 2 inch plus thick. It took me a few years to read the whole set but I to keep waiting for the next book to come out.

Maybe I misunderstood your last sentence, but there are no more books to be released. A Memory of Light was the last one. For those who don't know, the books were written over a 23 year period in which the author died and the last three were completed by Brandon Sanderson (whom I mentioned in my other post).

I spent a large portion of my life reading these books. Wow.

The Dresden Files series, by Jim Butcher. There are 15 books (so far), with a plan for about 20, plus an "Apocalyptic Trilogy" at the end. The books in my opinion keep getting better and better, and you can really see Butcher's writing mature and develop as the series goes on. Butcher's pretty good about getting books released regularly, too; the first book, Storm Front, was released in 2000, and in addition to the 15 books in this series, he wrote another 6 book series (called the Codex Alera, also very good), a one-off Spiderman novel (I haven't read it), and has the first book in another series set to release in September.

I highly recommend them!

Top Bottom