What's new

Gillette Aristocrat... Worth It?

I have come across the opportunity to buy a 1946 Gillette Aristocrat for $45. The issue is it is missing the end caps. The plating is in fantastic shape, comes with case and blade holder. It's it worth the price missing the end caps?

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Terms_Of_Usage

TOU said:
7. B&B is not an appraisal site. As such, asking values here isn't acceptable behavior. All B&B members, asking and answering, new or old, should be aware that B&B is a community of users, and not an appraisal or identification service.

Only you can answer that question anyway, it's your money. You can consult sold eBay listings, most likely you'll find razors in similar condition.

FWIW, the lack of end caps is merely a cosmetic issue, it won't affect the shave whatsoever. I even think some razors look cooler without end caps.

I really enjoy my aristocrat. Fyi, I paid $18.- but it is completely user grade. Plating is 50%, no box, no blade case.

Only you can decide what the rest of that is worth!

I have come across the opportunity to buy a 1946 Gillette Aristocrat for $45. The issue is it is missing the end caps. The plating is in fantastic shape, comes with case and blade holder. It's it worth the price missing the end caps?

When you say missing the end caps, are you saying that it looks like end caps were once attached and now gone leaving a gray area?
If that area is not gray then it could be a 1941.

Yes, here's a pic $uploadfromtaptalk1432087558318.jpg

[emoji16] I bit the bullet guys. Did what one of you recommended and checked the bay. The only two listed were going for much more right out of the gate(albeit their end caps were intact). It's worth it to me, $uploadfromtaptalk1432089646615.jpg it's a beautiful razor. And yes, the plating seems to be in great shape in photos. Here are some more just for curiosity sake. $uploadfromtaptalk1432089543116.jpg

Banging the end caps off smacks of abuse. I would avoid the razor. I have a '46 that I paid around $50 or so for in the original box in nice overall condition. It has the end caps.

Well, I received my Aristocrat today and already indulged myself in a shave. I am actually a bit disappointed[emoji17]... I did not enjoy my shave as I usually do. Possibly this is due to my still developing experience, but I found it very hard to sustain the right angle while shaving. This is never an issue with the three to four others in my rotation. I hope it's just an issue of finding the blade it likes. Time will tell

Top Bottom