What's new

Mystery German Razor, From Switzerland.

Hello there. Another identify my razor thread.:001_smile
I received this today, from Switzerland. The only marks on it, are on the lower part of the handle. The markings are German, like on the kitchen knives I have. I was told by the seller, they are the Zwilling marks. It is silver plated, and is a three piece razor, with a safety bar. I put a blade in it, after it got a hot soapy bath, and polished the tarnish off. The aggressiveness is about equal to my Fat Boy, on setting 8-9.
Information on what this razor is, where it was made, and the time frame it was made, would be appreciated.

$P5120627.jpg$P5120628.jpg$P5120629.jpg

Thanks Edgar. A J.A.Henkels. Any idea about when it was produced?
I probably overpaid, 22.50 CHF, but, I tend to gravitate towards oddball, or unusual razors. I had not seen one like this before.
Anyone shave with one of these before? I intend to give it a go, this weekend.

I probably overpaid, 22.50 CHF, but, I tend to gravitate towards oddball, or unusual razors. I had not seen one like this before.

Overpaid?! What is 22.50 CHF? About $25? That is a steal! I find myself gravitating to weirder and weirder razors as time goes by. After all, there are only so many Gillettes that I want to buy ...
Congratulations! I look forward to the shave report.

I would say after the 1930's to early 40's.

Overpaid?! What is 22.50 CHF? About $25? That is a steal! I find myself gravitating to weirder and weirder razors as time goes by. After all, there are only so many Gillettes that I want to buy ...
Congratulations! I look forward to the shave report.
I agree great price for quality piece.

Blimey ....... A Henckels DE for that price is a steal. I don't see many of them floating by on Fleabay ..... And of the ones I do, it's usually the other kind of three piece ..... fatter handled and practically indistinguishable from the likes of Golf, Asan Schlussler, etc... but for the Henckels branding and comb configurations.

I have one of these as well. I'm pretty sure they were made by Merkur as I have other Henckel razors that are very clearly Merkur-made. Perhaps Waits has some information on dating these?

I have one of these as well. I'm pretty sure they were made by Merkur as I have other Henckel razors that are very clearly Merkur-made. Perhaps Waits has some information on dating these?

Zeppelinkarte (in the other thread I linked) seemed pretty sure these were not made by Merkur, but I think you are right.

I've read other comments, including from German folks, saying these were indeed rebranded Merkurs.

I haven't seen one like this either, that's what drew me to it. It didn't have the Merkur emblem(head). But, had the J..A.Henkel Zwilling symbol. Like the Henkel knives I use and like.
It was listed on the eBay UK, and came from Switzerland. You have got to love the internet.
You guys in Europe get a lot more selections in razors than we do.

Zeppelinkarte (in the other thread I linked) seemed pretty sure these were not made by Merkur, but I think you are right.

I've read other comments, including from German folks, saying these were indeed rebranded Merkurs.
Henkel may have been a brand that wasn't.

"You guys in Europe get a lot more selections in razors than we do."

I'll think of that next time I'm trying to bag a President at a price that won't give me a heart attack :lol:

"You guys in Europe get a lot more selections in razors than we do."

I'll think of that next time I'm trying to bag a President at a price that won't give me a heart attack :lol:

And why would you want a President when you have all those beautiful British Aristocrats for like 2 quid in the antique shops? :lol:

First shave with the "Mystery German Razor" done today.
I did the usual prep. Hot towels, preshave oil, then face lathered with Arko/Almond essential oil.
Razor was loaded with a Personna Blue blade.
The shave was super smooth, with the razor being medium, on the aggression scale, about 4-5 on my Fat Boy Razor.
The curved head angle worked great, and I had an effortlessly BBS shave. No cuts, nicks, or weepers.
I feel that there is something to be said for vintage razor engineering.
It will be put in my rotation.

Top Bottom