What's new

Merry Month Of Mystic May

I've wandered off the 3017 reservation a bit, mainly alternating some Mystic Water Coconut Lime Verbena and IanS Lavender Lime Lanolin and Orange Geranium.
Last few days have been all MW CLV and a shipment just came in from Michelle.
Alongside some face/bath soaps I slipped in an order of Tea Tree/Blue Gum puck and samples of Lily of The Valley, Brown Windsor and Green Fairy. So i thought. why not dedicate this month to my favorite soap maker.

Green Fairy first on deck tomorrow, then maybe a taste of the Tea Tree before going into the other two samples. I might even finish off my beloved Bay Rum this month.

After getting a fresh batch I realized my CLV was a lot harder now than it was when I got it a couple years ago. Explains why it improved a lot when I let it soak some water up on a few overnights.

Green Fairy Sample
GEM Damaskeene OC, GEM PTFE (3), Plisson synthetic

First impression is...I don't care for soaps smelling of anise. I thought I would based on reviews and the fact I like the taste of anise and licorice, but I don't. Maybe it will grow on me, but right now, glad I got a sample. :) if you do like the smell of licorice in a soap you will love this soap.
Performance on the other hand is stupendous.
Hand lathered from the sample smushed into the bottom of an old razorock classic tub. Then the usual method of adding water slowly while picking up soap, then transferring to hand and again slowly incorporating water.
Got the lather right where I like it - very slick and medium thick.
The post shave feel is the usual splendidness - no ASB for added moisture is required.
A good start :)

I am onboard with Mystic May. I shaved with Rosalimone this morning, and Jasmine yesterday. Both amazing scents. The only other MW on the shelf is LOV which is my FAVORITE all time soap fragrance.

Working my way through some samples. The Bay Rum is awesome. The Poggio de Pini, and Maestrale didn't work for me but it is not because they are not great scents, they just didn't hit the olfactory sweet spot for me.

Going to place an order for Bay Rum, and who knows what else. LOVE these soaps !!

The only MW I have is Adirondack Jack, I need to rectify that at some point. However a new car and some unexpected home/plumbing repair costs have me holding off on new purchases for the foreseeable future.

I'm working on a MW Barbershop sample she sent when I ordered her 4 shampoo bars to try.
I nearly went with that instead of Green Fairy. Maybe next time

The tea tree and blue gum is awesome!! That is probably the standout soap that I got from MW as far as the smell is concerned! Enjoy!
It would never have occurred to me, except that beginish ordered it and loves the scent and I trust his review :)

I am onboard with Mystic May. I shaved with Rosalimone this morning, and Jasmine yesterday. Both amazing scents. The only other MW on the shelf is LOV which is my FAVORITE all time soap fragrance.

Working my way through some samples. The Bay Rum is awesome. The Poggio de Pini, and Maestrale didn't work for me but it is not because they are not great scents, they just didn't hit the olfactory sweet spot for me.

Going to place an order for Bay Rum, and who knows what else. LOVE these soaps !!
Bay Rum is just outstanding. It presses all my buttons in a good way. Maestrale grew on me the more I used it. I was expecting something like Proraso Green and it's much more complex. Rosalimone was a free sample back when Michelle was playing with the formula. Convinced me I'm not a Rose kind of guy. LoTV was sampled based on Phog Allen's reviews. I'm not quite there on JAsmine yet. Maybe next time...

I had a really nice shave with the Lilac stick, my first lather with MW was very slick, and my face was well moisturized on the final rinse, the reviews I've read have been on point and I love the performance of the soap.

My one minor negative is the softness of the soap smushes and leaves soap around the outer threads, I may press the stick into a wide bowl to satisfy my OCD on a clean container.

The Lilac scent is one that begs for a healthy splash of Lilac Vegetal, I didn't follow through since it's a workday shave, the Veg is reserved for my weekends.

I'm glad I gave in to my need for an unnecessary soap purchase, and will buy a puck or two in the future, once my soap stash is reduced. I look forward to tomorrow's shave, time to reform my stick into a puck.

Does over 3 years of almost exclusive use of this soap count?! It is my Holy Grail soap. :biggrin1: I am actually trying to minimize the number of Michelle's scents in my den so that I don't have to wait so long to use my favourites! :blush:

Last edited:
Does over 3 years of almost exclusive use of this soap count?! It is my Holy Grail soap. :biggrin1: I am actually trying to minimize the number of Michelle's scents in my den so that I don't have to wait so long to use my favourites! :blush:

I was going to try that "limited choice" theory for the same reasons. I just can't wait to long to get back to my favorites. That was working until I got the Bay Rum sample. The favorite list grows : )

How do you like the MW shampoo bars? I've been using Mike's shampoo bars and I'm almost out, but he's sold out at the moment.

I think the one I'm using is great, I began wth her original. They look small but last a pretty long time too. I wantd to try Mike's and I have the sample bar on the way (all he had when I was also ordering shaving soap).

I had the original shampoo bar a while back when investigating whether scalp issues were purely SLS or not. Turned out not, but I did enjoy the shampoo. About to put the Neem Tea Tree bar to the feast.

Care to list your favorites? You guys are killin me! I just ordered 9 more samples. I think Michelle's soaps are among the best.

I had the original shampoo bar a while back when investigating whether scalp issues were purely SLS or not. Turned out not, but I did enjoy the shampoo. About to put the Neem Tea Tree bar to the feast.

Please let me know if you like her newest(?) If you like it, I'll try that next. I'm so glad I tried hers first out of the several available. I'm anxious to try Mike's as well, and I guess the sample will have to do for now. The ones from QCS sound interesting, at least the fragrances do, and I think they are larger than Michelle's.

I had to leave the shampoo bar aside a few days since Michelle cut me one fresh off the block. It wasn't quite ready but since I managed to finagle her ordering system she sent it anyway :)

3 shaves in on the Green Fairy. Lathers are marvelous, scent is growing on me a bit. Keep getting flashbacks to drinking Pernod at college ...

Top Bottom