What's new

My experience using a cartridge for a few weeks

I have been using cartridges for almost a month now and I have not experienced any seriously ingrown hairs. I believe using a brush to lather makes all the difference as it makes the skin smooth over time. Maybe I'd get two or three minor bumps, but I have gotten those from DE shaving too. That really surprised me, I was expecting having to deal with one or two serious ingrown hairs, but I did not.

I have experienced is a much faster shave, but I doubt that comes as a big surprise. A Trac II or Mach 3 shaves about twice as fast as using a DE. If you like the ritual of shaving, that's not as thrilling I suppose. I spend most of my time washing my face off and making lather, the shave itself is very fast.
And I notice my stubble tends to just feel better, less irritating when I brush my hand across my face. I'd love to get that with a single blade because I was finding that to be a problem shaving with a DE (I haven't used an injector enough to compare it).

My technique is just a single downward pass, I don't even pay attention to grain very much. And my best shaves are right after I get out of the shower. Prep isn't anything elaborate though, I find spending a minute using cold water to wash my face is just fine, then I lather up. Occasionally I use Barbasol brushless as a pre-shave if I'm using a cheap soap or cream.

I strongly suspect using the brush accounts for most of the benefits of traditional shaving. A DE might even have some drawbacks for skin comfort.

I've shaved with all kinds of razors over the years and haven't had a lot of trouble (carts included).

My favorite cart was the Atra. The Sensor wasn't bad either.

I prefer a DE or Straight now because I have the time to enjoy a shave. Also, using a brush and good soap makes for a good experience.
I think the canned goo is getting betterand I have a few gels and foams in the cabinet for a quick shave when necessary.

Well if it's working for you and your satisfied with the results of you shaving, then more power to you! Keeping shaving enjoyable and out of the category of a chore is what it's all about!

I I couldn't get an acceptable shave from carts after having used a DE for just a few months and try as I might the whiskers came back MUCH quicker after shaving with a cart razor. So for me it DE for the rest of my days. Your experience is great, and hope you continue to get good shaves from whatever method you choose!
:thumbup:

I think I will be trying a DE again just for nostalgia sake, now that I have learned what blades I like (smooth and "dull").

Well if it's working for you and your satisfied with the results of you shaving, then more power to you! Keeping shaving enjoyable and out of the category of a chore is what it's all about!

I strongly suspect using the brush accounts for most of the benefits of traditional shaving. A DE might even have some drawbacks for skin comfort.

I agree that the brush plus a decent soap or cream makes a bigger difference than the razor. Good preparation is most of the improvement, in my opinion.

I used to smear canned goo onto a damp face and get on with it. Now I take several minutes to face lather, which will soften the whiskers up nicely.

I'm kind of curious to try a cart again, but I really don't want to pay for one.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
The beauty of having so many shaving tools out there is that you're bound to to find a setup that works for you if you keep exploring ... hopefully :tongue_sm

mswofford

Rest in Peace
My shaves with carts were just fine; My complaint (besides the expense) was the clogging. I still have a Mach 3 and Fusion for guests. I weaned my son away from Fusions with a Gillette Guard from WCS ("other razors") and he likes it. I tried it and it's a single blade cart that doesn't clog and is ideal for carry-on when flying.

Last edited:
I have a Gillette Guard as well, it's a good shaver.

I'd like to add a Wilkinson Bonded to my collection some time. Maybe I'd shave with it, it would just depend on if the packaging was opened or not.

Aside from zen experience that we cherish, I wonder if DE shaving is really significantly better than cartridge shaving.
I thoroughly enjoy the whole ritual of shaving, but sometimes I doubt myself and ask if I got brainwashed into DE shaving, listening to all those people saying that you will save tons of money by DE shaving, not to mention better skin.

let's calculate, assuming I will keep using feather as my daily and get 4 shaves per blade, (feather is my favorite now)
since I shave about 6 days a week, that's 24 shaves per month, which equates to 6 blades x $.25 = $1.50 per month.

If you get the fusion with 5 blades, I think it can be had for about $2 per cartridge or even cheaper when on sale, and these multi-blades tend to last a lot longer than double edge blades. Even if I can only use it for 2 weeks, it will only cost $4 per month.

so, all in all, I am saving about $2~3 per month at the cost of extra time it takes to shave with DE and multiple passes that are required to get clean shave.

Or am I wrong to think that those fusion and mach cartridges can be used for 2+ weeks?
Maybe If I were a little more frugal and used blades that are about 10 cents (astra, derby, personna labs), the saving will be more significant than it is with feather blades.

oh well, penny for your thoughts.

My shaves with carts were just fine; My complaint (besides the expense) was the clogging. I still have a Mach 3 and Fusion for guests. I weaned my son away from Fusions with a Gillette Guard from WCS ("other razors") and he likes it. I tried it and it's a single blade cart that doesn't clog and is ideal for carry-on when flying.

When I shaved with fusion with 5 blades, it always clogged so badly that I couldn't even glide the razor over my face, it would just stick to my face and won't budge. This is probably due to using shaving gels instead of real creams / soaps. I haven't had a chance to go back and try them with cella or other shaving creams that I have, so I can't comment on it further, but the moment it just stopped gliding, I thought i was cutting my face up, it was an unpleasant experience.

Or am I wrong to think that those fusion and mach cartridges can be used for 2+ weeks?

I just think the savings of shaving with a DE are modest at best, there are other ways to save money. It really is just the soap scum that kills the razor blade, the blade itself will remain sharp a long time.

I'm using a RazorPit... I easily got a week out of a cartridge (Dorco's are so cheap I haven't pushed beyond that), whereas before it was uncomfortable to shave with a cartridge for more than a few days. My wife has been using the same Venus cartridge for a long time now. It will easily pay for itself in a few months. I was not convinced at first- it didn't seem to be working. But I stuck with it.

Mantic tested the Razorpit and found you could get almost the same length out of a cartridge just by stropping on his arm. But he had no luck using a double edge razor because of the angle, though others have managed to get them to work with a double edge razor. But it's hardly worth it because DE blades are so cheap.

The Fusion is not really worth it, several reviewers and consumer groups have tested them and the Mach 3 shaves almost as good for a lot less money.

My preference is for older style cartridges, I believe they are more efficient shavers, they use a similar technique to a DE and the cartridges rival the cost of DE blades.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I went for a month of daily shaves with a single cart last September (see here for the story). Twas my first time using anything with more than two blades. he hardest adjustment for me was getting used to the slime trails. :tongue_sm

Like many others, I have no problem with carts (I like Mach3 best), other than cost. I have been using a brush and soap for over 45 years and always enjoyed my shaves. I do think that a DE is a little kinder to the skin when used properly. My DE shaves only take about 2 minutes longer than it takes with a cart.

I think tomorrow I'll have a go at the Atra, been awhile so why not?! Since I've 'learned how to shave' on here, any problems I did have with a cartridge before don't seem to be anymore. Honestly, I think I would be alright even if I did go back to cartridge again. I won't, but I think ot would be alright now.

Prep/lather is definitely the key to a good shave. Cartridge blades passing through a quality soap lather - applied with a brush - will cut whiskers just as well as a DE can.

Top Bottom