What's new

poor stropping?

Is it possible to have rolled the edge on a straight if said razor sill passes the HHT on the length of the blade? I know there are almost infinite reasons to be getting a sub-par shave with a straight, but I had some pretty aggressive stropping attempts when I first got my razor. I feel like my angle / pressure are where they need to be but the blade is constantly skipping across my face.

Help!

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
How many shaves have you had with a straight razor? If it's passing the HHT, then I can't imagine it's the blade that's the problem. I've only been using a straight razor for a few months, but I would think that if it's cutting hairs, then the edge is fine.

If the edge is still passing the HHT, that's a good sign for your stropping, and for the edge's shave-worthiness in general. That said, an edge that passes the HHT can be overly-sharp, but I don't think that would result in skipping or tugging. Conversely, an edge off an early stone can allegedly yield a decent HHT result as well. Much depends on the state of the razor as received. If you are new to the process and the blade comes from a reputable seller/honer, my guess is that it may have to do with your shaving technique. With a straight, there is a confidence in the stroke leading to the desired result that can only come from continued experience. The process with a DE, or a DE half-blade loaded in a shavette as well, is more ginger in comparison, staccato-like. With a straight it is more of a sweeping pass, with or without a bit of swerve (scythe-like motion) as needed. But such passes can only come with experience, and it is best to take a cautious approach from the start. Good luck.

Last edited:
Alum is right. Let the learning process take as long as it takes. This is an old skill set that is bigger than you would think. That is why it was such a big deal in days past. Learning to shave was a mark of manhood and it wasn't easy. Modern gadgets turned it into an activity without skill. You will look back on this as hard won and worthwhile knowledge.

Thanks Alum! Definitely agree it's technique, but with so many variables I have a hard time figuring out which is the main culprit.

If the edge is still passing the HHT, that's a good sign for your stropping, and for the edge's shave-worthiness in general. That said, an edge that passes the HHT can be overly-sharp, but I don't think that would result in skipping or tugging. Conversely, an edge off an early stone can allegedly yield a decent HHT result as well. Much depends on the state of the razor as received. If you are new to the process and the blade comes from a reputable seller/honer, my guess is that it may have to do with your shaving technique. With a straight, there is a confidence in the stroke leading to the desired result that can only come from continued experience. The process with a DE, or a DE half-blade loaded in a shavette as well, is more ginger in comparison, staccato-like. With a straight it is more of a sweeping pass, with or without a bit of swerve (scythe-like motion) as needed. But such passes can only come with experience, and it is best to take a cautious approach from the start. Good luck.

the Art of SR Shaving is a lot more intensive than Sun Tzu's Art of War. As everyone's beard is different as well as their preference for razors and sizes, it all comes down to patience, practice, trying new things and never, ever giving up(well except not going that extra pass if it burns you up each time!)

Alum is right. Let the learning process take as long as it takes. This is an old skill set that is bigger than you would think. That is why it was such a big deal in days past. Learning to shave was a mark of manhood and it wasn't easy. Modern gadgets turned it into an activity without skill. You will look back on this as hard won and worthwhile knowledge.

+1 for this!

Is it possible to have rolled the edge on a straight if said razor sill passes the HHT on the length of the blade? I know there are almost infinite reasons to be getting a sub-par shave with a straight, but I had some pretty aggressive stropping attempts when I first got my razor. I feel like my angle / pressure are where they need to be but the blade is constantly skipping across my face.

Help!

The part of the edge that is rolled wouldn't pass an HHT3.

Top Bottom