What's new

ATT S2, and the new wet shaver

I have just begun wet shaving a month ago. I started with the Feather Popular razor and blades, I have been getting real great results from this set up, however, I really wanted something that will last a lifetime, a little more aggression... Enter Above the Tie S2.

Why the S2 for an admitted newbie? ??? Well, I am of the school of thought that one can learn to master just about anything given time and the right research. A great forum such as this gives me point number two, so I just have to invest in point number one! Also, I found this at great price on EBay, so here we are.

Now, For a beginner this is not the tool that will have you singing praises of Baby Butt Smooth and No Irritation right out the gate. All I am saying is give these things time and patients.

Been playing with the Above the Tie S2 slant open comb for about two weeks now. Man, this thing was a major step up from the Feather Popular razor I have started with. The shave was real different and much much more aggressive.

Attention to technique and NO pressure is paramount to a successful execution! Once I had the technique dialed in, a very smooth shave is very easy to accomplish! Started with Feather blades which wanted it's blood sacrifice, changed this week to Wilkerson Sword (much less aggressive) which gave a superb result with no nicks or burn so far. I also have a few Sputnik blades to try out.... I'll revisit the Feather blades later when my technique is more solid.
proxy.php
Question, since I am so new, what other blades do you all use in this particular machine?

Congrats on the S2. Way to jump right to the top as a beginner! I like it. I use Polsilver SI and Voskhods in mine. Astras were decent as well. Probably anything will work in this thing. Ha. Enjoy it as there are not that many razors that will top this one.

Congrats on the S2. Way to jump right to the top as a beginner! I like it. I use Polsilver SI and Voskhods in mine. Astras were decent as well. Probably anything will work in this thing. Ha. Enjoy it as there are not that many razors that will top this one.

Thank you! How are the Voskhods compared to Sputnik blades? Im going to try the Sputniks next week, but I may have an easier time finding Voskhod if im impressed by the Sputnik.

Congrats on your S2 :thumbup:

The Astra SP is a great all round blade that's well liked by a large majority. It's a forgiving blade that gives a great shave.

Congrats on your S2 :thumbup:

The AstraSP is a great all round blade that's well liked by a large majority. It's a forgiving blade that gives a great shave.

Yes sir and thank you! I will certainly be looking into a sample of these AstraSP to try!

I finally bit the bullet and just literally bought a "used" one from ATT. I enjoy Polsilvers but I think I'll use the milder Vokshod first then maybe a Ladas. The Ladas didn't seem to perform well in my S1 but in certain open combs like my raised flat bottom new they're amazing so I'm looking forward to trying it in the S2.

I've only tried a single Spudnik, didn't stand out as being bad but nothing special either. Have a few more but Vokshods just get closer and in the right razor can be very smooth.

I finally bit the bullet and just literally bought a "used" one from ATT. I enjoy Polsilvers but I think I'll use the milder Vokshod first then maybe a Ladas. The Ladas didn't seem to perform well in my S1 but in certain open combs like my raised flat bottom new they're amazing so I'm looking forward to trying it in the S2.

I've only tried a single Spudnik, didn't stand out as being bad but nothing special either. Have a few more but Vokshods just get closer and in the right razor can be very smooth.

Awesome! Thank you for the input! I'll have to try that as well.

I really wasn't a fan of the Astra SP until I bought an ATT. Stan ships the razor with them, so I figured he probably knows something I don't. Now I use Astra's 75% + of the time. I find them to be a very good compromise between comfort and sharpness. I do like Voskhods also, and slip one in once in a while. When I really want to go after the perfect shave, GSB is my next favorite, followed very closely by Feather or 7:00 Black.

It is hard to beat the GSB for the S2.....HELL, they are one of the few that work great in all my razors.....

The S2 is a great razor.

I slightly prefer the ATT H1, but I personally love a very aggressive, super close shave. If there were no such thing as straight razors, Feather AC's, the ATT H1, and the Muhle R41, the S2 could easily be my only razor. But, with the above choices, the S2 just has to patiently wait its turn in the rotation!

I like the Astra SP's but lately I have been using the Platinum Lux's and like them alot, maybe more than the Astra's!

I use the H2, and a variety of blades, including 7 O'Clock blacks, Voskhods, GSBs, Personna Med Preps, Feathers and Polsilvers. I always seem to return to Astra SPs. I bought 100-packs of all my other blades, but have bought 200 Astras. They're the cheapest in my arsenal, as well.

Nice...and I see you're using the Colossus. Most seem to prefer the other two, but I'm a Colossus fan myself. Perfect weight and balance for the head (R1 in my case).

I forgot to mention above, that for me, Astra SP's seem to work well in any DE razor, including the ATT's.

Toying with getting a S1 baseplate. How pronounced is the difference, in aggressiveness and smoothness of the shave, from the open comb version?

Top Bottom