What's new

Move over metrosexual's, The rise of the Lumbersexuals are upon us

I live in Portland, OR too and the lumbersexual look is definitely in. That said, I think everyone was already looking like that, it just has a name now.

Scott

Nope. And why would I? There are a thousand garages that'll do it for a few bucks all itching to compete for my business.

Hey, my dad was an auto mechanic, and I have a two bay garage with a lift in one bay. But Jiffy Lube disposes of waste oil properly.

I will, however, snatch the wheels off myself and get the rotors turned in a hot minute. But even that is tempered by the fact that I've got several old farm vehicles to drive.

If I had one car that needed repairs I would always default to allowing a shop that's already set properly for it in short order. Allowing my car to sit overnight dysfunctional is a luxury most can't take.

Changing a flat? I think there should be a class required to get out of high school name "life skills" that teaches stuff like that.

Last edited:
Cool, another thread about judging someone simply by their looks.
Have no fear, I won't pull trigger out of the barn on this one. :)

Thank you sir. I'm kinda like, "who cares" what somebody dresses like and what "they" think about it. I'm a child of the 80's, I didn't dress like my dad and I don't dress like my son. My dad was an upstanding guy and so is my son. I don't know what happened to me though, lol.

I don't think that is what the OP's intention was though. I'm thinking it was meant to be more informational than judgmental and information is fine. Thank you for bringing to our attention what is considered cool these days. By the way, I do notice that my son is wearing a lot of flannel these days.

Thank you sir. I'm kinda like, "who cares" what somebody dresses like and what "they" think about it. I'm a child of the 80's, I didn't dress like my dad and I don't dress like my son. My dad was an upstanding guy and so is my son. I don't know what happened to me though, lol.

I don't think that is what the OP's intention was though. I'm thinking it was meant to be more informational than judgmental and information is fine. Thank you for bringing to our attention what is considered cool these days. By the way, I do notice that my son is wearing a lot of flannel these days.

I agree. I didn't make that statement referring the OP, I just know where these types of threads usually go.

Yeah...it gets tiresome really fast. Not everyone works in a corporate environment where you have to look like Don Draper, not everyone has a face that's best suited for "clean shaven," and not everyone CAN shave everyday because their skin simply doesn't allow them to. And would the people who DO judge others based on their looks actually teach that to their young children?

Probably not the OP's intention, but these threads tend to bring out the worst in B&B.

I'm waiting for the sheltersexual trend. Where guys do their damndest to make homeless look good. From the look of things we may not have far to go.:frown2:

Reddit already has this: https://www.reddit.com/r/HipsterOrHomeless/

I merely have to not shave for a day, and BAM!, homeless guy look.

I can't stand it. I shave every day.

12 hours after shaving to 2 weeks makes me look homeless. After two weeks I have a decent beard.

Needless to say, I'm far outnumbered by the lumberjack look here in Portland. I've started grad school and have noticed that every guy in every one of my classes sports a beard with jeans.

Are you studying at PSU, L&C, or ___? Beard+jean+flannel is petty much the standard look in Portland. If you don't eventually give in to it you'll draw attention to yourself. This may be a good thing. If you need an antidote to all of the over hopped IPAs go down to Bushwacker's Cider and get some proper English, French, Basque, or local cider.

I agree. I didn't make that statement referring the OP, I just know where these types of threads usually go.

OP here. 100% correct. As my OP detailed, I initiated the thread to discuss the changing style trends from what has been termed "Metrosexual to Lumbersexual and Metrojack". I had provided a link to the original online publication article that first coined the term late last year, and has since been picked up by just about every magazine publication and news outlet, but it was removed for reasons known only to the Mods.

+1 DVPremo, I too don't dress like a Kid or my Grandfather but I respect their style choices. Why we can't have an adult discussion on B&B about modern facial hair trends without it always degrading into negatives about 3 day facial growth or Hipster beards being a unemployed homeless man's look or questioning a man's masculinity based solely on his look, is puzzling to me.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, prejudice tends to live everywhere.

Sadly very true. It makes discussing style, fashion, and trends difficult when those types join into the thread. I know for a fact adults judged me for my fashions when I was a teen and young adult (granted, I intentionally dressed to cause such reactions), so, as an adult now myself, I do my best to not be those types I disliked back then. Doesn't mean I understand the trends and fashion choices, or like some of them, of course. lol

Reddit already has this: https://www.reddit.com/r/HipsterOrHomeless/

12 hours after shaving to 2 weeks makes me look homeless. After two weeks I have a decent beard.

Are you studying at PSU, L&C, or ___? Beard+jean+flannel is petty much the standard look in Portland. If you don't eventually give in to it you'll draw attention to yourself. This may be a good thing. If you need an antidote to all of the over hopped IPAs go down to Bushwacker's Cider and get some proper English, French, Basque, or local cider.

I teach down in Woodburn and have started taking graduate classes at PSU. Thanks for the cider recommendation. I'll be sure to give Bushwackers a try [emoji106]🏻

When I would enter the office like that, I bet that I would be kicked out within 10 minutes lol!
I agree with you there. No professional environment would allow someone that looks like these guys to work for their company. Unless of course they live in Portland, Oregon, where people with multi colored hair, tattoos covering 90% of the body, and more hardware embedded in their faces than the average hardware store keeps in stock working at banks, law firms, medical offices, and high-end department stores. This was a shock for me, and I'm originally from Las Vegas. Portland, truely the land for the weird!

I agree with you there. No professional environment would allow someone that looks like these guys to work for their company. Unless of course they live in Portland, Oregon, where people with multi colored hair, tattoos covering 90% of the body, and more hardware embedded in their faces than the average hardware store keeps in stock working at banks, law firms, medical offices, and high-end department stores. This was a shock for me, and I'm originally from Las Vegas. Portland, truely the land for the weird!

I rest my case.

The thing is, tattoos and piercings have gotten so mainstream, that in some places if you aren't willing to hire anyone with them, then you have almost no younger population to hire from, period. I am perfectly ok with people being that expressive of themselves and working in whatever jobs/careers they are suited for, honestly.

I'm waiting for the sheltersexual trend. Where guys do their damndest to make homeless look good. From the look of things we may not have far to go.:frown2:

I wish I had discovered how to shave properly before I became homeless, but that wasn't to be. Thanks to a PIF about a year ago, I'm the happy owner of a pre-war Tech and a Merkur 33C. The 33C and some Barbasol are giving me the best shaves I've ever had. Trying a brush and some real shave soap are still in the future for me, but I'm happy with what I've got until then. An open flannel over a t-shirt and jeans have been my style since junior high back in the 70s. If it wasn't for the bag I gotta lug around with me all over, I don't think many people would pick me out as homeless. I'll settle for being one of the best-shaved homeless guys in the Chicago area. :001_cool:

looks like a resurgence of 1920's Egbert style haircuts to me. With some modern twists of course. Think of this with a bit more refinement;
attachment.php

My look is a mix between Mod/Skin/Woodright's shop/Peaky Blinder/Orville & Wilbur Wright apprentice/Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Driver. I dub myself, Office Steam.

*sigh....* So how long did that take?

At least there were no comments this time around about how stubble and/or facial hair makes people look drunk or high. I remember one of these threads awhile back where someone said that anyone sporting an unshaven look had him "instinctively looking for the twitching and bloodshot eyes of a drug addict" or something to that effect.

Why can't we all just get along? What if one of these tattooed, pierced guys saved you from a robbery or called 911 for you when you needed emergency assistance? Or happened to be on the other end of the line as a dispatcher?

B&B...a gentlemanly place indeed!

*sigh....* So how long did that take?

At least there were no comments this time around about how stubble and/or facial hair makes people look drunk or high. I remember one of these threads awhile back where someone said that anyone sporting an unshaven look had him "instinctively looking for the twitching and bloodshot eyes of a drug addict" or something to that effect.

Why can't we all just get along? What if one of these tattooed, pierced guys saved you from a robbery or called 911 for you when you needed emergency assistance? Or happened to be on the other end of the line as a dispatcher?

B&B...a gentlemanly place indeed!

It did take longer than I expected it to in a thread like this. For the most part, at least, the general perception in the public is changing about how those of us with lots of tattoos or piercings are seen, which is a positive step. :)

Top Bottom