What's new

Tried Clubman for the first time this weekend

I've only been wet shaving since January, and prior to that I've never given fragranced aftershaves much of a thought. All the talk about Clubman had me very intrigued, so this weekend I broke down and picked some up. I didn't really know what to expect, but I'd have to say I was pleasantly surprised. It is much more citrus'y than I expected and it has quite a floral note, but not in a bad way. It did sting like crazy due to my rushed shave and inexperience. The scent also seemed to stick around for a long time. I don't know of if was noticeable to others, but I could smell if for a few hours. I understand the "classic barbershop" description that is usually used to describe it, it's very difficult to describe the scent. I'll be working this into the rotation as I think this is a scent that will definitely grow on me.

Welcome aboard. And welcome to the Chuck Norris of aftershaves.

Clubman doesn't smell like barbershops; Barbershops smell like Clubman.

Be sure to try some of the other Clubman scents. Some, like Lilac Vegetal, generate a lot of discussion on this website both pro and con. While I enjoy "the Veg" and used it this morning, you might go for their vanilla or bay rum. The only Pinaud Clubman scent I didn't particularly like is their Special Reserve. But you might like it. Enjoy!

Enjoy being in the Clubman Club. Consider yourself lucky if you're not allergic. I've heard great things about their Bay Rum and Special Reserve scents, as well.

I got my first bottle a month or so ago, and the Special Reserve soon after. The scents are great, but what impresses me the most is the way my face feels afterward, almost like I'd used a balm rather than a splash.

--Bob

Is the difference in the scents just the fragrance oil? Does the Vegetal and the Bay Rum feel the same on your face, or are the ingredients different enough that some scents could work better as an aftershave than others?

Thanks

Clubman has no glycerin. So if your face needs more moisturizing, try putting one drop of glycerin per two ounces of AS. Your face will feel like you used a balm all day.

Clubman has no glycerin. So if your face needs more moisturizing, try putting one drop of glycerin per two ounces of AS. Your face will feel like you used a balm all day.
I just started doing this myself. I'm not sure if I have quite enough glycerine yet, but I do think it keeps my head from getting overly oily during the day, which typically happens because of the excessive alcohol in the AS.

Is the difference in the scents just the fragrance oil? Does the Vegetal and the Bay Rum feel the same on your face, or are the ingredients different enough that some scents could work better as an aftershave than others?

Thanks

As far as I know, the Original, the Vanilla, and the Veg are the only three listed as aftershave lotions. The others are considered aftershave colognes. I've tried the Original, the Vanilla, and the Musk. The Original has the best face feel. The others don't feel the same to me. The Veg is next on my list to try.

All of the pinaud products make excellent aftershaves, even the hair tonics. I do not add glycerine to the tonics, but I do all the others. 3 drops per oz. I like all of them. They all dry down to great scents to me.

I have Clubman, but went with Canoe as it already has the glycerine in its formula. I tend to use it more than the Pinaud.

I love the scent and feel of the Original and Lime sec. Special Reserve is nice but not the right time of year for me. I need to get the whole collection.

Top Bottom