What's new

Hawaiian Surf - anybody remember?

Deeply buried in another thread, I hijacked my own post with a reminiscence from my days of ignorant youth, early shaving, and...girls!

I thought the topic worthy of its own thread, being curious if there are any other Boomer-esque aging creatures out there who share my memories.

My favorite AS splash -- and a favorite of my best girl (now the LOTH, BTW...) -- was Hawaiian Surf. It came in a funky bottle clad in cork rings. I seem to recall a citrusy fragrance, and it was a fresher alternative to the heavy Jade East I would wear sometime. The HS became pretty much my ED splash.

Anyone else have memories of this?

I seem to recall seeing (maybe on daBay?) bottles being sold as "vintage." I can't imagine it's any good after 50+ years...it's not like it's scotch or wine!

Here's a photo that might jog senior memories:

$517306215.jpg

I seem to recall seeing (maybe on daBay?) bottles being sold as "vintage." I can't imagine it's any good after 50+ years...it's not like it's scotch or wine!

Why wouldn't it be good? I use vintage aftershave all the time: Avon, Amway, Jade East, Old Spice, Aqua Velva, Skin Bracer, etc. Some of my vintage Avon aftershave dates back to 1965. Still great!

Why wouldn't it be good? I use vintage aftershave all the time: Avon, Amway, Jade East, Old Spice, Aqua Velva, Skin Bracer, etc. Some of my vintage Avon aftershave dates back to 1965. Still great!
I guess I was assuming that the seal on the bottle was not good enough to retain the alcohol over 50 years.

My concern is probably academic anyway...all the bottles I saw on the web seem to be gone...

The bottle would have had a plastic cap on a glass bottle, so the seal should remain intact. The bottle and the cap were covered in cork for looks only. As long as it has been stored relatively well and not subjected to heat or direct sunlight for long periods of time it "should" still be good.... if you ever find any.

The bottle would have had a plastic cap on a glass bottle, so the seal should remain intact. The bottle and the cap were covered in cork for looks only. As long as it has been stored relatively well and not subjected to heat or direct sunlight for long periods of time it "should" still be good.... if you ever find any.
That is the issue...:001_huh:

You're probably right about the seal...and the cork would certainly block any sunlight!

Ahhhh. I remeber the Hawaiian Surf well. My older brother had that when he was in middle and high school. Very distinctive packaging.

Top Bottom