What's new

I hate mandolins.

... and shaving off finger tips!

Luckily it was "only" a partial and my right ring finger. So, only time and some good bandaging skills. But dadgummit! Why do they always lay in wait until you've got someone in the same room with you to run interference for them?

I really should make peace with the plastic thingamajiggie they included to prevent such stooopid accidents which are waiting to happen...

after it was said and done though; I got a really nice French Apple Cake as the boobie prize.

So! Let this be a lesson for you! Do As I Say, not as I do...
(that is all)

They are awesome at what they do, but that little plastic protector is pretty much useless for just about everything.

I've stopped using my mandolin in favor of the slicer attachment in my food processor. It does the same thing in less time, without the worry of shaving off your fingertips.

Alton Brown on Good Eats would always eschew the plastic hand guard in favor of a kevlar glove. I think that's a great way to do it. Also, when I use the hand guard I either palm it with my fingers sticking up, or just stop with about a quarter of whatever I'm cutting left to go.

I don't use the plastic thingy. It sucks. But this glove on Amazon works great!
It's thin and flexible -- it feels like a lightweight winter cotton knit glove and has enough dexterity to hold on to vegetables and fruit.
It doesn't replace common sense -- I'm sure you could cut yourself if you really try -- but it prevents you from accidentally lopping off a piece of finger.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IGGBX6

proxy.php

One of those gloves is absolutely essential with a mandolin. When I first was getting a mandolin I researched on line whether folks thought they were worth having and it seemed like everyone that had one had cut themselves, often severely! I got a glove when I got the mandolin and have been happy I did. This is one dangerous kitchen appliance, and it is hard to get a close to perfect job out of it. But I find it pretty indispensable for what it does well. It does scare me though.

I learnt something new today. I couldn't, for the life of me, figure out why there was a thread in the Mess Hall about

proxy.php

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I've been very careful and lucky. I decided to be even more careful a few months ago and purchased the cut resistant gloves. They come in pairs and both are universal left and right.

+1 on the gloves, I've never used it with my mandolin as I very rarely use it, some reason I find it more trouble than it's worth. But I do use my glove for fish fileting. Very nice to have when you have a five gallon bucket of blue gills to clean.

Someone gave me a mandolin with a blade that goes straight across, no slant. Worst cutting and most unsafe piece of junk ever produced. I used it once and tossed it into the junk drawer.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
+1 on the gloves, I've never used it with my mandolin as I very rarely use it, some reason I find it more trouble than it's worth. But I do use my glove for fish fileting. Very nice to have when you have a five gallon bucket of blue gills to clean.

Man, I love blue gills. I remember when my grandfather was a preacher at a small town east of Youngstown. One of the congregation had a big pond stock with blue gills, catfish, and bass. Pound for pound, nothing puts up a fight like a pan fish.

Top Bottom