What's new

Awesome "found" stone passaround signup

Guys, I'm going to do a passaround of one of my very nice "found" stones shortly. This is a stone I named Kuro slate, after the blackish grey color. Looking to start a list of who wants to participate. I would like to get a list of names and state you live in, that way I can order the list in a fashion that will shorten transit time between members and thus cut down on the ratio of time spent in shipping.

I am willing to send out two stones if the Euro guys want to get in on this too. This is a stellar stone, I can pretty much guarantee that you will like the shave if you know how to hone a razor. It is among the best finishers I have ever used...and I have used a fair few. You can ask Alex Gilmore or Gabe (HunterBlades) if you don't want to take my word for it, they both have one.

I usually finish on slurry a la JNat but it can be used with a dilution or even with straight water. For a touch up on a razor that doesn't need the bevel reset, you can hone on a slurry right off the bat with no lead in. About 30 - 40 laps is plenty, although there doesn't seem to be any problem with doing more like with some synths. If you need to correct some damage first, this stone can follow a 1k JIS with about 60 - 80 laps, or a 2k with 30 - 40 laps. Again, more won't hurt and may add a little smoothness in some cases. Slurry starts off pretty dark gray already so it's not possible to see how much swarf is generated. I have done some tests with a magnet though...it's definitely there! Lol.

The stone is about 1.9" x 6" and I will include a small Tomo for slurry generation, or a diamond plate can also be used. Here's what the passaround stone looks like:

$IMG_20150308_213650.jpg

$IMG_20150308_213528.jpg

$IMG_20150308_213348.jpg

All I ask in return from participants is a shave report on this thread once you've tried the stone. After the passaround is complete I will be PIFing the stone(s). I haven't decided how I'm going to choose the recipient yet, but I would probably prefer to help out someone who may not be able to afford a nice natural finishing stone otherwise.

Requirements to participate are being registered on B&B for at least six months - or a longer term member to vouch for you. Also a minimum post count of 75 - or, again, a well-known member to vouch for you.

The updated passaround lists are:

U.S. List:
1.) GolFisHunt - MI
2.) newb - NY
3.) TimS - RI
4.) dundak - VT
5.) SliceOfLife - PA
6.) Chaloney - FL
7.) joamo - NE
8.) bluesman7 - CO
9.) dfoulk - AZ
10.) CFrankC - WA
11.) JBjunior - AK
12.) buffalo - SC

Euro List:
1.) Cachorro - DE
2.) doorsch - DE
3.) Sharpchef - DE
4.) hatzicho - DE

When you are ready to send the stone on, send a PM to the next person in line after you and request their name and address for shipping. After the stone has shipped, make a post letting us know it's on the way and who it's going to. When you receive the stone, please also let us know it got there safely.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love my sample. It is one of my favorite/best stones(in the top 3-5 at least out of many). I use mine with plain water usually and it will improve the edge from most stones.(except thuris, high grade jnats or other super finishers). I got amazing edges on slurry also I just really like the feedback on plain water. Also works great with oil(I use smiths solution , sometimes watered down). This is a no frills high performance hone. I'm sure everyone will like it.

I still need to give Alex his Kuro stone back and let him borrow the mars stone. I was sick before and then busy working this last week so I haven't had a chance.

i'm in, I don't have a finishing stone so my "shave report" will also be a first SR shave report. I'm in New york.

Count me as very interested, I am also thinking about a passaround of the Vermont slates I have recently acquired.
Midland, Tx

Count me as very interested, I am also thinking about a passaround of the Vermont slates I have recently acquired.
Midland, Tx

It may be possible to send these stones together for comparison but the shipping cost may be prohibitive. What do you think? I have 4 different ones I am working with. I may wait to see which one is comparable to the Kuro (if any) to get them as close as I can.

It may be possible to send these stones together for comparison but the shipping cost may be prohibitive. What do you think? I have 4 different ones I am working with. I may wait to see which one is comparable to the Kuro (if any) to get them as close as I can.

Dave, definitely test them first to see if you have anything worth sending. As it sits, one stone will fit in a small flat rate box but two or more and we'd probably need to go to medium. I don't think people are going to want to pay to ship dead weight. It will be tough to match the Kuro, it's absolutely one of the best stones I've ever used. It gives a very keen edge but is still a very very comfortable shave.

I honestly doubt the Vermont slate will hold a candle to the Kuro. It is just performs too well in every area.

Comparing to a Dragon's Tongue you will want to chuck the DT in the trash. This is a premium stone, rivaling my best thuris and my Nakayama Jnat.(It almost gets as sharp as my trans ark). I have had HHT 4 off the stone. It is the only stone I get consistent pre stropping HHT results with my fine hair, even my thuris don't pop hair really till after stropping.

Sebastian, why don't you see if Peter and other Sebastian would be interested too, they may not have checked this thread.

As far as i understand Sebastian (Sharpchef) want to take part, i will write to him again and also ask Peter....

Top Bottom