What's new

Whats the purpose of buying MULTIPLE DE razors?

I thought I was a shaving enthusiast until I joined this site and seen some of you guys wares. Now I usually collect various shaving creams, aftershave balms and blades, but not DE razors themselves.

For you guys that have 10 20 30 DE razors, whats the purpose? Do you shave with a different DE everyday or do you just like to collect them like people collect old signs, bottle caps, and coins :tongue_sm?

Last edited:
I have two. My daily shave is the ATT Kronos, but I just had to have a vintage 1950's Gillette, so I picked up an immaculate '55 Super Speed for the fun of it.

I have so many now (7) just for the sake of getting lucky. My first razor was a Merkur 34C I got on Amazon to start with. I happened to go to the Williamsburg Antique Mall and found my 40's SuperSpeed and GEM Micromatic for $12 a piece. The Fatboy, Slim, Black Handle SuperSpeed, and Gold Gillette Tech Ball End I got on Craigslist in one lot for a good price so I jumped on it. I want to try a slant at some point, and eventually acquire a Super Adjustable to round out the Gillette adjustable collection I got going. Although at some point it may balloon to 20 or 30. Who knows. I never thought when I got the 34C I would wind up with 7 in 2 months.

It's a hobby for a lot of us. I have about 80 vintage razors and a few modern and I have shaved with most all of them. I enjoy the nostalgia of it and I also find that a lot of them render up quite a nice shave as well. I could easily do with just one razor to shave with. But then I would have to look for another hobby that I enjoy doing. If just mowing down the whiskers is a chore that you do and don't have any interest in doing any more or less than what it takes to just do that chore with comfort and efficiency then that is just great as well.

Soaps, creams, aftershaves, balms, etc can bring a little comfort and joy to the shaving experience but, so can having an assortment of razors to choose from.

I have a couple of "vintage" safety razors for display, and three that I will use. Two are standard DE razors, while the third is an Open Comb. I doubt I will purchase more of them, unless I should find a nice 1964 model, as that is my birth year and it would be a nice conversation piece.

Now, Straights, on the other hand . . .

i cannot afford multiple sports cars but can afford multiple DE razors. Same goes for brushes, soaps, etc.

+1 I like changing things up. I have about 35 vintage DE razors and one current model DE. I have 9 in a regular rotation, and bring the others in on occasion.

It's all the different styles available that keeps me buying. I've purchased about 15 since I started, have 6 now and am looking to be down to 4 next month. A lot of times it seems like I'm renting them considering how many I've bought and sold.

It's the neverending search for the perfect razor. And when we find it, we such for a "more perfect" razor.

I thought I was a shaving enthusiast until I joined this site and seen some of you guys wares. Now I usually collect various shaving creams, aftershave balms and blades, but not DE razors themselves.

For you guys that have 10 20 30 DE razors, whats the purpose? Do you shave with a different DE everyday or do you just like to collect them like people collect old signs, bottle caps, and coins :tongue_sm?

I only have one right now, but there are many people who like to collect them. Looking through some of pictures on here makes me think that there's a fine line between collecting and hoarding, though.

Depends on the person. I have an Aristocrat, a horn and gold Plisson, a Leresche, a Timor SS handle and an R41 on an EJ bulbous lined handle. Unless someone hands me a Toggle or Darwin, I think everything is perfectly represented. And they're all open-combs. And it's fun.

it's called RAD Razor Acquisition Disorder... Some just feel the need to have many razors, like some women buy shoes or Longaberger baskets
Lots of times the individual only uses one or maybe 2 razors on a regular basis and the rest just sit on a rack or in a drawer ... A lot of razors are purchased on impulse buys ( I'm guilty ) then usually sold to try and recoup some of the money

Always looking for something better, I guess.

But I also enjoy rotating the razors. For now, I'm doing 5 shaves with one razor, then switching to a new razor for the next 5 shaves (that's how many shaves I get from a DE blade). So everytime it's time to change the blade, I also change the razor.

I have 11 in the rotation, so it's 55 days before I get back to razor number one. I enjoy it, I can afford it, so no harm, no foul.

I have settled on 4 after buying/trying/selling many more. They offer all the variety I need.

-One is my Dad's former razor, a vintage adjustable, a classic with sentimental value
-One is a mild vintage head with a modern, grippy, heavy handle
-One is a moderate modern razor with a thick, beefy, heavy handle
-One is a moderately aggressive modern razor with a wonderfully grippy, heavy, stainless steel handle

Top Bottom