What's new

What's your coffee today? What brew method? Photos

Just finished off the last of the Sweet Maria's Guatemala Antigua Finca Retana I roasted on the 27th in the Bodum 2 cup press.

I can only hope that I get this much flavor when I dig into this bean again. That roast really topped the charts. Right up there in the top 10 roasts I have ever done.

I was counting the roasts I've done in the Hottop and I am nearing 100. About time to take it apart and do a through cleaning (chaff and oils). ARgggg Not a lot of fun but necessary.

proxy.php

Had a flat white with Peet's/8 o'clock blend in my Gaggia baby twin. I tried grinding on the second notch with my skerton since the machine had been choking with a very light tamp (at least what I considered light with my limited experience) Today I tamped to what I thought was about 30 lbs and it poured fast in about 15 seconds. Maybe I need to have my 2 year old daughter help me learn to tramp since she weighs 30 lbs now... Or buy a scale

Still slogging through my Feb 27th roast of Sweet Maria's Espresso Workshop #27.

Pulled in the Pasquini and served as Americanos

The Gayo/Permata co-op (Sumatran) and Yirgacheffe Kochere (Ethiopian) will be rested by tomorrow so I can start enjoying those roasts View attachment 546009

Doubble espresso, pulled tight. This was from a new bag of espresso 2.0 from the coffee collective. Very well balanced coffee!

This morning I opened a fresh bag of Dunkin' Donuts Dark-Roast Arabica, done in a Mr. Coffee Autodrip.

I had given blood last week, and the Red Cross van was set up in the DD parking lot. The shop was donating a pound of coffee to everyone that gave a pint of blood. This was great. I'd given blood before and never gotten anything except some orange juice or bottled water and a few cookies, along with a sticker that says "I MAKE A DIFFERENCE." This coffee was something I can actually take home and use.

The coffee itself is rich and flavorful. Not as much caffeine as I was expecting, but what I needed for the morning wake-up is all there. I had set up the pot the night before and set the timer, and when I got out of bed, the whole house was filled with a delicious coffee aroma.

At $8.99 a pound, DD is a little expensive to drink on a regular basis. But I'm definitely getting more Dark Roast the next time I need to restock. Probably Wegmans brand, which is $7.99 for a 33.5oz can.

Mocha Java. Hand blended here at Casa Mick. Half and half of my Ethiopian Kochere and Sumatran Gayo roast from Feb 2nd.

I can say without equivocation that the sum of the blend is greater than both parts. (I.E. this blend makes some mighty fine coffee)

Brewed in the commercial Bunn again. The Bunn is one fine fine brewing machine. Consistent. No surprises. Does not matter what I throw into it, it brews at the perfect temp and even though it does not pre-infuse and the brew cycle is a little fast (by what some "experts" say) I have never had any cause to look for another auto drip machine :nonod:

proxy.php

I picked up some Chromatic Colombia La Virgen and some Ritual Rwanda Gihombo at Whole Foods since I don't have any roasted coffee on hand. Both these are very sweet, fruity, lightly roasted coffees and I'm enjoying the Chromatic this morning (had them both yesterday).

Attachments

• $ChromCup.jpg
    $ChromCup.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 47
I like the coffee from the Mount Kilimanjaro area,especially the "sweet creamy" taste of the Peaberry,even though Peaberry is considered fourth in quality.The Africafe instant single use comes in plain ,and sweetened with creamer,I like the mixed variety.I am extremely lucky to have the head of the government coffee instituition and auction house as a friend,and I have sat in on a few auctions.The tall cans ,500gr, are usually filled with b,or pb grades,but I have brought home AA grade before,both ground and whole beans,all Arabica,all good,but the PB is still my favorite,so smooth and fragrant.The photo is of a pamphlet the gov't coffee house gives out,real pulp.A side note,the grinding ,roasting and packaging machines in the "Kahawa House" (gov. coffee center) are ancient,left over from British occupation,and prior to that ,German occupation,and they still function perfectly,being repaired as needed..

Attachments

• $IMG_0002.jpg
    $IMG_0002.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 43
  • $IMG_0003.jpg
    $IMG_0003.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 43
  • $IMG_0004.jpg
    $IMG_0004.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 43
  • $IMG_0005.jpg
    $IMG_0005.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 43
  • $IMG_0006.jpg
    $IMG_0006.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 43
Had a flat white with Peet's/8 o'clock blend in my Gaggia baby twin. I tried grinding on the second notch with my skerton since the machine had been choking with a very light tamp (at least what I considered light with my limited experience) Today I tamped to what I thought was about 30 lbs and it poured fast in about 15 seconds. Maybe I need to have my 2 year old daughter help me learn to tamp since she weighs 30 lbs now... Or buy a scale
In the beginning I went through a similar learning curve and questioning of my tamping ability, especially around tamping pressure and its effect on flow rate. I am still learning, but my advice is to not worry as much about tamping pressure, but focus more on (1) the dosage (weight) of coffee, (2) grind size, and (3) the coffee's age. Those three factors have more impact IMO, assuming your tamping routine is roughly consistent. Older coffee is especially hard to tamp, there doesn't seem to be much difference in the puck height between ~30 pound tamp pressure and 200+ pounds of pressure.

If you are measuring or eyeballing the volume of coffee instead of weighing it, that may have been the bigger source of the inconsistency. I often measure by volume instead of weighing, but it is not as consistent since it is harder to measure.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
brewed some of the Ethiopian Kochere in the commercial Bunn this morning...

WOWZERS what a coffee

proxy.php

My understanding is that there is a boiler filled with water with these machines. If you don't use the machine over the weekend do you put through a batch of water without grounds to get rid of the stale water?

Top Bottom