What's new

Current Rooney Knot Grades

In the Rooney Out of Business thread, there was some discussion pertaining to the current status of Rooney hair grading. One point of confusion was that 2 vendors currently carry similar brushes listing them with different terminology for the hair grade. Vintage Blades lists their Rooneys as "Super Silvertip", while Classic Shaving list similar brushes as just "Silvertip". So what is the deal, do these brushes contain different grades of hair? I reached out to Vintage Blades and Classic Shaving and got some useful feedback.

The two vendors are carrying Rooneys with the same knot grade. When Rooney switched their logo from block letters to script a few years ago, they also trimmed their lineup down to one grade of silvertip. There is no longer both a Silvertip grade and Super silvertip grade.

The next issue is what to call these brushes, Silvertip or Super Silvertip? The current handles with script logos just say Silvertip, and apparently Rooney labels their shipments of these brushes to the vendors as just "Silvertip".
Modern script logo brush with "Silvertip Badger" label
$IMG_3821.JPG
So if you are buying a current Rooney Style 1, 2 or 3, the official name for the knot grade is apparently "Silvertip". Vintage blades still lists their brushes using the older terminology Super Silvertip, and they kindly admit this is outdated. But I can understand why they haven’t made the change…read on.

If these brushes are called Silvertip, does that mean they are the equivalent of the older era "Silvertip" grade? Or is it possible they are a continuation of the higher-end "Super Silvertip" grade? (Updated since original post..) Here the two vendors that I reached out to have different impressions.

Vintage blades believes, to the best of their knowledge, that when Rooney trimmed their lineup, they discontinued the Super Silvertip grade in name only. That the current Silvertip grade is actually the equivalent of the Super Silvertip grade from the block letter era. They got this impression based on information directly from Lee a few years ago. Classic Shaving on the other hand believes that the current Silvertip grade is equivalent to the old Silvertip grade. In their words - "...with the high labor costs and non-exact description of benefits the high-end brush has been discontinued". High labor costs refers to the extra hand sorting by Rooney workers that was performed for the Super Silvertip grade. CS didn't explain why they think this (and I didn't push it).

I have gone and reexamined my two Rooney Silvertip brushes with the script logo - a 3/1 from 2013 and and 1/2 from 2014. Unfortunately I do not have a block letter super grade brush to make a comparison. But I think I can make my own judgement based on the description of the grade on the B&B wiki and other vendor sites:

Super Badger Hair: The hair is Silvertip then re-dressed and re-graded in England. This means the bundle of badger hair is sorted, the short and twisted hairs are removed from the bundle. This leaves the hair feeling softer and whiter. Also by doing this it gives the brush better lathering and water holding capability

My 1/2 has a fair amount of "twisted" hairs that I believe would have been removed if this was the Super of old. I'll try to post a close-up pic soon. So just based on this observation, I am thinking that the current Rooney Silvertip grade is equivalent to the old Silvertip grade of the block letter era, not the Super Silvertip grade.

Block logo era brush with "Super Badger" label
$superbadger.jpg

One last issue. Heritage 3-band brushes sold by other vendors still have "Super" on their handles, not "Silvertip" (see pic). Why is that, if Rooney discontinued that grade name? Could there possibly still be a difference in the hair between the current style 1/2/3 brushes and the Heritage 3-bands? From my own hands on comparison, I could not tell the difference between the hair in a Style 1/2/3 Silvertip brush and the hair in a Heritage 3-band brush. And 2 vendors stated to me that they believe the hair is the same, and that Rooney puts their best 3-band hair in both the Heritage and standard handles. (Updated:) But based on the description of the Super grade, I'm not really sure that someone could tell the difference between these two grades by "feel". Could removing short/bent hairs really result in a softer brush with better lathering capabilities? Well either way....I do think it is possible that Rooney only discontinued the Super grade for the Style X line of brushes, but still uses it for their pricier 3-band Heritage brushes. This makes the most sense to me.

Modern Heritage 3-band with "Super Badger" label
$Screen Shot 2015-01-22 at 12.07.42 PM.png
Of course some murkiness must remain. That should be expected, we are talking about Rooney here, right? :laugh:

Last edited:
Really great write up, Rob. Thank you very much for doing all of the legwork on this! This certainly will help with the demystification of the 3-band hair grade discussion.

And in the words of Paul Rubens as Pee Wee Herman, "It's like a giant sweater you're trying to unravel, and someone keeps knitting, and knitting, and knitting, and knitting..."

Gotta love you, RA Rooney!

Thank you for the research. I bought a 2/1 a couple years ago from Vintage Blades with the script writing "silvertip". What ever you want to call it, it is a terrific brush.

My Rooney bushes that are 5 or 6 years old are far superior in terms of density and tipped softness. My 1/ 1 silver tip that I just purchased is not as dense nor as soft as my Simpson's classic 1 in best.

My Rooney bushes that are 5 or 6 years old are far superior in terms of density and tipped softness. My 1/ 1 silver tip that I just purchased is not as dense nor as soft as my Simpson's classic 1 in best.
Thank for your great help. Simpson classic is dense brush after chubby so the density should be much higher than Rooney 1/1 but surprisingly the classic 1 in best is denser and yet softer than Rooney? So the new rooney slivertip is having scritchyness?

Right now a classic 1 costing $110 but Rooney 1/1 vintage blade promotion is going for $68. The rooney look very value for money.

I am going to update the OP since I have some new information from Classic Shaving. After the original post, Classic Shaving sent more feedback saying that they believe the current Silvertip grade is the equivalent of the old Silvertip grade, not the old Super Silvertip grade. So the two vendors have different impressions of how this hair relates to the hair of old. I wish I had an old block letter standard brush in Super Silvertip or Silvertip to make the comparison myself. Time to go back and do some editing! (done)

Last edited:

Which models/knot grades from 5 or 6 years ago are you using for this comparison?

Simpson classic is dense brush after chubby so the density should be much higher than Rooney 1/1 but surprisingly the classic 1 in best is denser and yet softer than Rooney? So the new rooney slivertip is having scritchyness?

Right now a classic 1 costing $110 but Rooney 1/1 vintage blade promotion is going for $68. The rooney look very value for money.

Both Simpson Best and Rooney Silvertip have a hint of scritch and I would consider both grades as scrubby. I do find that Rooney Silvertip has the edge in softness, but will give Simpson best the edge on density/backbone.

Are you looking for a really small brush? Because a Rooney 1/1 is pretty small IMO.

I sold a 3/1 in 2014 that was purchased around 2010/2011. About 5 weeks ago I got a new 3/1 from VB (sellers remorse). This brush is really soft, the tips and the sides (when I rub my thumb along the length of the knot). It is a totally different brush than the one I sold. I could tell this as soon as I opened the box. It has smoother and softer hair with about the same backbone as the older brush. I liked this brush so much I spent the $159 for a 1/3. The 1/3 is more like the brush i sold as far as softness and feel. The biggest difference between the 1/3 and my new 3/1 (and the 3/1 that I sold) is the 1/3 has more wild hairs, like the hair wasn't sorted as well. This has been my experience. It is a good time to buy one with the sale at VB, still great brushes IMO.

I sold a 3/1 in 2014 that was purchased around 2010/2011. About 5 weeks ago I got a new 3/1 from VB (sellers remorse). This brush is really soft, the tips and the sides (when I rub my thumb along the length of the knot). It is a totally different brush than the one I sold. I could tell this as soon as I opened the box. It has smoother and softer hair with about the same backbone as the older brush. I liked this brush so much I spent the $159 for a 1/3. The 1/3 is more like the brush i sold as far as softness and feel. The biggest difference between the 1/3 and my new 3/1 (and the 3/1 that I sold) is the 1/3 has more wild hairs, like the hair wasn't sorted as well. This has been my experience. It is a good time to buy one with the sale at VB, still great brushes IMO.

Your description describes my 3/1 and 1/2 perfectly. Both have have some scrub in the tips, but the 3/1 is a bit softer.

This talk of twisted hairs made me curious about how common this is. Here is a comparison of two Rooney Silvertip knots, a Thater 3-band and a Simpson Best. Even if the Rooney Silvertip is not in fact the equivalent of the hand sorted Super grade of old, it still has less twisted hair than some of its contemporaries.

Rooney 1/2 Silvertip from 2014
$1-2.jpg
Rooney 3/1 Silvertip from 2013
$3-1.jpg
Thater 4376/4 3-band Silvertip from 2014
$thater.jpg
Simpson Colonel X2L - Best Badger from 2013
$x2l.jpg

Last edited:
I have a 3/1 super with blocks letters, it is similar to the current simpsons classic 1 in best. The new 1/1 in silver tip is definitely less dense and scritchier. I also have a 1/1 in best from a few years ago that feels kind of similar to the current offering in silvertip. Don't get me wrong, I love my new Rooney 1 / 1 in silver tip, but I think the Simpsons classic in best is a superior brush. I also have a few Rooney pure and finest, but those are both in totally different ball parks, respectively.

Both Simpson Best and Rooney Silvertip have a hint of scritch and I would consider both grades as scrubby. I do find that Rooney Silvertip has the edge in softness, but will give Simpson best the edge on density/backbone.

Are you looking for a really small brush? Because a Rooney 1/1 is pretty small IMO.
Right now I'm using a Duke 3 and I always keen in a 1/2 and considering getting it for rotation. My Duke 3 best hair was quite 'rough' or scritchy. I will get brush burn and feel raw if i swirl too much when face lathering so I'm hoping the new Rooney Slivertip can be softer than Best. I read that Duke 3 is a better brush than Rooney 1/2 for face lather since Duke is denser with more hair, backbone.
I also like the feeling of dense brush so the 1/2 density was my concern too. I was thinking should i get a 1/2 or try my lucky and get another Duke 3 with softer hair.

I'm just getting into trying out various brushes. I'm a face latherer and like backbone and softness. I purchased a Rooney 1/3 about a month ago and am disappointed that the brush is not softer. I have a WD 24mm which is definately softer. Hoping the Rooney will soften with time. Got my sites set on a Simpson Chubby (NOT in best) but that's a lot of money.

You can see in these closeups why the Silvertip batch from 2013 feels softer than the one from 2014. In the photo of the 3/1 from 2013, you can see the tips of the hair are intact. But in the 1/2 from 2014, some of the hairs contain flat ends. Not sure what would cause some of the ends to be flat - perhaps some tips broke off during the various processing steps.

Rooney 3/1 Silvertip from 2013
$3-1 copy.jpg

Rooney 1/2 Silvertip from 2014
$1-2 copy.jpg

Thater 4376/4 3-band Silvertip from 2014
$thater copy.jpg

Simpsons Colonel X2L in Best from 2013
$s best.jpg

Great pics. The first thing I noticed was the flat tops in the 2014 pics.

Almost looks like it was trimmed after the knot was put in as some are flat and some are more naturally pointy.

I've seen Rooney be accused of trimming before but I forget where.

Top Bottom