What's new

2015 Online Purchase Sabbatical

If anyone cares, I started a journal in the Journals and Diaries section in the General Discussion thread. I honed up a Genco Henrys XX with some lapping film. Tomorrow, I shave with it.

Enjoy your lapping and honing. I got a Straight from an antique store, sent it to Larry to fix up and get shave ready, but haven't used it yet. The more I think about it, the more I don't want to. I like to keep things simple and all the discussion over honing, lapping, grinding, taping, etc just kind of overwhelmed me. I may get into it down the road or just PIF it.

Enjoy your lapping and honing. I got a Straight from an antique store, sent it to Larry to fix up and get shave ready, but haven't used it yet. The more I think about it, the more I don't want to. I like to keep things simple and all the discussion over honing, lapping, grinding, taping, etc just kind of overwhelmed me. I may get into it down the road or just PIF it.

You can keep it pretty simple. Shave, strop, send out as needed for a refresh on the edge.

You can keep it pretty simple. Shave, strop, send out as needed for a refresh on the edge.

I know, I can keep it simple.

I can also save money by using a DE, Brush, and Soap; and we all know how well that worked out for me. :lol: I might start out simple, but then before too long, it wouldn't stay that way.

I still might give it a go down the road.

I know, I can keep it simple.

I can also save money by using a DE, Brush, and Soap; and we all know how well that worked out for me. :lol: I might start out simple, but then before too long, it wouldn't stay that way.

I still might give it a go down the road.

Well, I keep it simple.. shave, strop, send out for an edge refresh as needed with straights. I am talented at making straight razors into butter knives, I discovered. lol

Well, I keep it simple.. shave, strop, send out for an edge refresh as needed with straights. I am talented at making straight razors into butter knives, I discovered. lol

Hi,

Ha! That is a good one!

I can make razors out of butter knives if I want to, having a machine shop and the skills to use it all. The thing is, I never want to. I have one SR, was my Grandfather's, and I can't be bothered to mess with it even though I can shave just fine with it should I get the urge. I use my other Grandfather's Old Type a lot more often....

Stan

I have a few samples I'll break out soon...but I'm keeping a fairly even rotation of 7 soaps atm. Working through some lesser used aftershaves however....it's reminding me why some are at the back of the den.

I can also save money by using a DE, Brush, and Soap; and we all know how well that worked out for me. :lol:
LOL.

I like to tell people "Then I drove to Kansas City for a straight razor meet, to save even more money"

So, your straight collection is about the same size as my soap collection.

I've decided on my sample of Irisch Moos as my next soap. I've had it for a while and figure it's time to figure out what the fuss is all about. It's about 33 grams of soap, so should last a week or so. It's grated from one of their sticks.

I hope it turns out to be terrible....that way I don't have another soap I want to buy. :tongue_sm

Less than a week to go on my tube of Prorasso Sandalwood. It's a good soap, but not sure I will get it again. Not sure why, but it just didn't grab me as something I want to use everyday.

I've decided on my sample of Irisch Moos as my next soap. I've had it for a while and figure it's time to figure out what the fuss is all about. It's about 33 grams of soap, so should last a week or so. It's grated from one of their sticks.

I hope it turns out to be terrible....that way I don't have another soap I want to buy. :tongue_sm

Less than a week to go on my tube of Prorasso Sandalwood. It's a good soap, but not sure I will get it again. Not sure why, but it just didn't grab me as something I want to use everyday.

Well, if you fall in love with the Irisch Moos, good luck on getting any sort of decent supply of it, even if you are willing to pay the premium for it. lol

I didn't like the Prorasso sandalwood in the tube, but the tub version is a little bit different on the scent, and that one I liked a lot. If you get the chance to sample the soft soap version instead of the cream, don't discount it, since it is a little different in a good way (to me at least).

Well, if you fall in love with the Irisch Moos, good luck on getting any sort of decent supply of it, even if you are willing to pay the premium for it. lol

That's why I never tried it, if it turned out to be any good I wouldn't be able to get any more...

I didn't like the Prorasso sandalwood in the tube, but the tub version is a little bit different on the scent, and that one I liked a lot. If you get the chance to sample the soft soap version instead of the cream, don't discount it, since it is a little different in a good way (to me at least).

Thanks for the info on the Tub being different than the Tube. I'm pretty sure that when I have worked my way through the 4 or 5 years worth of software that I have, I'll probably just move forward using croaps or harder creams in tubs. They seem to lather the best for me and I work my way through them in a month or two, so I get to enjoy variation in my products.

Thanks for the info on the Tub being different than the Tube. I'm pretty sure that when I have worked my way through the 4 or 5 years worth of software that I have, I'll probably just move forward using croaps or harder creams in tubs. They seem to lather the best for me and I work my way through them in a month or two, so I get to enjoy variation in my products.

I found the same to be true between the original green versions as well. The tub is similar, but not quite the same as the tube in regards to scent and such. I prefer the tub version of both types.

Top Bottom