What's new

Arko Scent Description Thread

I've finally scored a stick of Arko. I ordered it along with a number of other items from G. just for curiosity's sake as it's cheap and the shipping would be minimal.

Oh. My. Goodness.

Nothing I have read was adequate preparation for the assault this stuff launched on my olfactory centers. It is a staggeringly foul concoction.

I will probably shave with it soon just from sheer perversion; and I do want to check out the lather for which it's praised.

I've read some pretty clever descriptions of the scent of humble Arko. I thought it might be fun to gather them in one thread.

First thing that went through my mind was, "This is what the Roswell aliens must have smelled like when they started to rot."

Really? I think Arko shave stick smells pretty good; mostly it smells like Ivory soap to me, but there's a few other notes in there that are okay; I mean, I like other shave creams & sticks a lot more, but it never smelled "bad" to me.

Some of the other Arko scents are a little boring, but I generally like them.

Really? I think Arko shave stick smells pretty good; mostly it smells like Ivory soap to me, but there's a few other notes in there that are okay; I mean, I like other shave creams & sticks a lot more, but it never smelled "bad" to me.

Some of the other Arko scents are a little boring, but I generally like them.

I gave it the acid test with my four-year old daughter.

"EEEEwwwww!"

:tongue_sm

I probably should have tried Arko before I got used to Tabac.

The Fat and the Valobra stick smell like 'soap' to me.

I'm going to try the 'leave it open for a month or two' that another poster mentioned, see what it mellows into.

J

Jarmo P

Arko smells bad for me. I hate the smell of Arko.
I tried to stand it because it is a good shave stick otherwise but my bathroom is not a place where Arko rules in "scent", no way!!!

I gave it the acid test with my four-year old daughter.

"EEEEwwwww!"

:tongue_sm

Cute! I suppose that is a pretty tough test.

FWIW, I travel with a Speick stick, not an Arko, but the Arko delivers well on lather too. The real advantage of the Speick stick (besides, apparently, that it doesn't smell like hot death and putrefying zombie flesh) is that, if you cut a section off, that it will fit inside an old small-size 2.5" high Colgate shave stick container (pretty, made of tin, sturdy, and cheap). And that's a nice advantage when I travel, to not have to carry a large shaving stick or a big tube of cream (though I do cheat and take a small nalgene jar with some Proraso in it, just for variety).

I probably should have tried Arko before I got used to Tabac.

The Fat and the Valobra stick smell like 'soap' to me.

I'm going to try the 'leave it open for a month or two' that another poster mentioned, see what it mellows into.

Arko doesn't smell staggeringly foul to me, but it is kinda reminiscent of detergent. Cheap, bargain-basement detergent.

On another note, your icon is probably the best shave-related icon I've seen. LOVE Blazing Saddles! :biggrin:

IMO at 2.28 $US Arko is a hell of a bargain. :thumbup1: Adn with the scent fading after a few weeks the lather qualities are over-shadowing the scent.

Arko is great. By no means fancy, but a Clean, Crisp, Classic Unnatural Scent. It reminds me of freshly laundered sheets hanging on ropes on a late summer/early fall season day. Don't expect it to smell like Lavender or Roses, but expect it to get the job done. It's old fashioned synthetic. That's the best way to describe it.

It smells like industrial strength Ivory to me. Which, btw, is not good.

I agree. Ivory soap on steroids. But in my case, that's a good thing. My wife really likes the scent, in fact, she uses it as a bath soap. Unfortunately, Arko seems to dry out my face. Too bad, 'cause it's a good performing soap.

Dave

To me it smells like the bar soap you used to find in the old non-chain motels when I was growing up. Something like "Cashmere Bouquet". Ivory Soap on Steroids is a good approximation.
It's really grown on me. Would I like it better with a more modern scent? Maybe, maybe not.

Chip --

The aroma of this stuff just shouts "SOAP!!". It does smell like an industrial cleanser that the janitor uses.

I really like the performance of this shave stick though, and find that it provides about as nice a lather and shave as you can get, regardless of cost. The lubrication and moisturizing is exceptional, and it is a tallow based soap. I've used a couple of these sticks, and find that I get probably 70~90 shaves from a stick. I bought a bunch of these when tulumba.com offered them for $0.99 ea, and then discounted them at quantity (had to justify the shipping costs, you know). :w00t:

I will say a couple of things about the fragrance: 1. It dissipates from the stick with time, 2. If you shave with it regularly, you become accustomed to the aroma and it no longer seems so strong, and 3. you'll grow to like it over time, as well.

-- John Gehman

I bought one stick to try it out and I wish I had bought more after I tried it. The scent to me is just "soapy" and it doesn't bother me at all. I get excellent shaves with this soap and lathers exceptionally well.
Anybody that can't stand the smell of this soap, you can ship it to me. :biggrin:

I sliced it up and pressed it into an Anchor bowl. The scent is fading already. Give it a month, I'll be ready to try it out.

In the meantime, Tabac.... mmm....

Top Bottom