What's new

2015 DE Shaving Start-Up KISS PIF for newbies

Welcome, new and future DE pogonotomists!

Now that you're here, many of you, if you're new, are wondering about putting together a starters kit. Some of you are worried about affording a starters kit. Worry not!

I was where you are two years ago, wondering, worrying, shopping, seeking, fretting. Now, it's: new year, new shaving stuff! For me, and thus for you -- for when I get new shaving goodies, I PIF off some of the best of the rest, to keep the den manageable.

What I've put together here is a very nice, mostly humble DE shaving starter kit. The theme: KISS -- keep it simple, stewpud! Simple, basic, good, dependable, inexpensive equipment that's all been tested by me and performs well, will do the job nicely, be easy to learn with, and not break anyone's bank. Any piece of this if you decide to give away to someone admiring it in the mirror, to your cousin, if it drops on the floor and breaks, if someone steals it -- nothing to cry over, cause nothing here costs more than a few bucks (except maybe the badger brush and let's see about the Klar). But, you'll love using all of it, and won't have to worry about it. Nice deal, if you ask me. Especially for starter kits, I think quality, low cost products are key - that makes it much easier for DE shavers to PIF early, often, painlessly and conveniently.

ENTRANCE CRITERIA:
  1. Type in your entrance post: I'M IN
  2. Be a newb: Have a B&B membership start date on or after September 1, 2014, and include it in your post.
  3. Be friendly: say something informative and inspiring about what brings you to/interests you in traditional shaving, B&B, etc.
  4. Be appreciative: tell us what you appreciate about B&B.
  5. Be smart and kewl: do it with thought, wit and style!
  6. Be not rich. If you have a special need for this PIF, the clearer that need, the more my heart melts.
  7. Be on the planet: Earth, and let us know where you are.
    (If you're in space, I'm not so sure how well suited traditional shaving is for zero gravity.)
  8. Be patient and a good sport: I'll use some method to choose the winner, possibly including random number generators, the I Ching, throwing dice, eenie meenie meinie mo, and whoever's responses inspire me most to choose a PIFee;
  9. to be announced Sunday 11 January 2015.

BarbaGnosa's 2015 KISS PIF
SOAP
  • STIRLING SOAP SAMPLES: Stirling Soaps is one of the hot, new shaving product startups of the last couple years, and has taken B&B by storm. Slickness is their hallmark, as well as value and price worthy performance. These soap samples are from their first year. All shave great, although they're not among my favorite fragrances. I like big, over the top fragranced soaps, and these are all a bit more subtle. There's about two ounces per sample, and each is packed into a 4oz jam canning jar, which are very nice, easy to open, load your brush from, manage, stack, seal airtight.
    • Coniferous
    • Well Dressed Man
    • Orange Chill
    • Tuscany
  • Williams Shaving Soap. The remaining 1/3 of the very first puck I bought. A simple classic.
  • Erasmic Shaving Stick Picked it up as part of my super cost-effective DE start-up shaving soap research last year, used it a handful of times, 97% new and unused.
  • Klar Kabinett: A classic, old school German intensely rose fragranced shaving soap discontinued in 2014. This is a collectors item now, and you, lucky newb, will be the only one in your block/town/county/state to have it. About 4 oz. Shave with rare pleasure, and/or trade it for something valuable on B&B from a desperate Klar aficionado!
CREAM: Palmolive Men Classic (EU) -- this is the one you want. Great performer, value, affordable, classic scent. Not so easy to find if you're not in EU.

RAZOR: Weishi TTO

• This is a surprisingly decent Chinese knock-off/homage to the Gillette Superspeed (I believe). I've got both, and you can see the resemblance, particularly in the design of the head, as well as the shave. This is an all aluminum razor, very light, which seems strong enough to shave with, but of uncertain durability. Great to start your DE shaving education with, but something most will graduate from in the not distant future. If you like this, get the real Gillette upon which it's based, made with significantly better production standards and far better materials.
BRUSHES
  • Ace Shaving Boar: For the bargain-basement price, this little boar brush performs surprisingly well. This one is well broken in. I was considering these as a potential grooms men DE shaving kit gift.
  • Badger Travel Brush: This was my first badger brush, PIFd to me last year. It's a great little brush for anytime, but its small size makes you work longer for less lather. Ideal for travel. It helped me to get an idea of the fuss about badgers, and inspired me to buy a full size badger.
BLADES
  • Personna Blues - popular, every day, easy going blades.
  • Sharp Chromium Durablade - Got PIF'd these. Got too many others to try.
  • Treat Classics - among my favorites, just discovered last summer, well deserving their near near the top, 9, ratings. These are somewhat popular favorites, and I don't get why they're not really popular.
    ADDED AFTER THE PHOTOS WERE TAKEN
  • Super-Max Platinum: PIF'd to me and now to you.
  • Super-Max Stainless Steel: ditto
  • KAI: Very sharp Japanese blades, up there with Feathers. If you love super sharp blades, you've gotta try them. Handle with care and you can get an incredible shave. Handle without care... well, don't.

proxy.php

proxy.php

You should also go get these pieces of essential kit.

• Styptic pencil or gel to stem bleeding from nicks.
  • Alum block: potassium alum block astringent to rub on irritated skin after shaving, helping to calm and disinfect irritated skin and weepers.
  • Aftershave lotion, such as a quality witch hazel, bay rum, etc.
  • Aftershave (aka facial) balm/moisturizer.
  • Shaving bowl/mug: I started with mugs, but in the past year have mostly been face lathering. I like the joy of the feel of the brush scrubbing my face and the added hydration time building the lather on my face gives me. I find I get better lathers, face coverage, and shaves with face lathering. But, everyone should be familiar with both and many love mug/bowl/scuttle lathering.
These are all available starting around a few bucks each for quite decent quality. A starter DE kit including hardware and a year's consumables, providing at least twice the shave performance, pleasure and quality can be assembled for less than half the cost of just one year's supply of cartridges and frankengoo. Of course, you can always move up market from there, should you be so inspired.

Last edited:
I AM SO IN!!!

I've joined B&B on December 6th 2014 so you can say I'm definitely an 'UBER noob". The main thing I love about B&B was that, I really feel like this place and all its members are a true brotherhood looking out for one another and never hesitating to give advice for those like me who always need it.

My biggest appreciation of B&B, was that this forum and all you guys were here for me when I needed help/advice/knowledge the most. My grandfather Taught me how to Wet Shave back in April 9th 2014 after he say the "Nick orgy" happening on my face when I tried a new cartridge. He died April 17th of 2014 and it was really difficult for me as, he was always my hero, my go to, my mentor. I looked back on the last day we spent together, with him teaching me to wet shave and showing me that shaving didn't have to be a chore, it could be a true relaxing, fun experience. Almost meditative ritual craft for a man to learn and someday master. I wanted to carry on that torch he passed onto me, and thus began my journey into wet shaving. I spent months trying on my own to learn technique and products, Started with AOS like many others, Eshave, ect.. I stumbled upon B&B after doing some research into creams for guys like me with sensitive skin (I was still using canned goo and AOS cream at the time). I wasnt even lurking on B&B 15 minutes before I knew I had to be part of this place. I learned so much in that one little hour reading on B&B than I ever would have learned in 6 months on my own. All you guys are generous, kind, helpful, and are so knowledgeable, I truly look up to a lot of you guys and I appreciate all that you do.

With that said, Sir, You are great and this is an amazing PIF.. So do Count me in!

I'm in, as being in Turkiye, I have no access any of this stuff. I do not need razor and brushes, but if I win, I am going to PIF them, too. I am a newbie, eager to try as much stuff as I can.

The thing about badger&blade we can all discuss manly pleasures from shaving, fragrances to writing and firearms. The community is very friendly that I can describe like we are all sitting, fishing and chatting, such relaxing experience. I appreciate the effort of maximising the pleasure we get from life as being a man and badger&blade is perfect place for this effort.

Thank you for this great PIF.

Not in, but what a great gesture setting up someone with everything they need to lather up and go! (I joined in Dec 2014, uber-noob). These are all great starter products, and I'd hate to get in the way of someone learning with this gear!

I am not a newb so NOT in but what a generous PIF. I love seeing these threads!

Hear Ye! All new members/shavers here should throw in on this!

I am not in, though this is an excellent PIF with great spirit behind it.

I bow out due to #6. I'm not rich by any means...but neither do I lack the means to procure my own goodies. In fact, I have some Stirling samples on the way and am probably, unbeknownst to myself, building a PIF/Passaround box.

Good luck to all, but mostly to BarbaGnosa for putting together a great item.

Thanks for all the encouragement, B&Bers, and thanks for the I'M INs. If you know someone who'd benefit, let em know.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
NOT in; Very generous of you, my compliments!
I've been a PIFfee and a PIFfer, it's always fun!

Last edited:
I'm in. On my sixth shave tonight... Sorry - clickie too quickie last night... And then spent a good portion of my time battling the nick that I got. Little bastard wouldn't stop bleeding. Might take a break from shaving tonight, and do more research (read: dig through B&B, Youtube, etc). I'm thankful this forum/wiki is here, not so much for the community (yet - I have gotten a very warm welcome and a small blade PIF on its way), but because I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. My first shave on Sunday, I didn't even know this website existed and miraculously didn't find myself being whisked to the ER while bleeding out from my jugular. I guess safety razors ARE safe!

I live here in VA Beach, which is currently a balmy 33 degrees with an overnight low of 16. If you don't like the weather in Hampton Roads? Wait 5 minutes. Two days ago it was 72. It's going to be 50 on Sunday. I once saw all four seasons in the same day. And a bear. But that's another story.

Wet shaving is the natural progression for me. I envision myself as a renaissance man, most people label me "indecisive" or "scatter-brained." My hobbies include cooking, homebrewing, cigars, computers, now shaving, magic tricks, playing the trumpet, guns, and researching travel. Please note - working on cars is not in that list. So why in the H-E-double hockey sticks did I buy a fixer-upper truck? One - have you SEEN the cost of a brand new/slightly used F-250 Super Duty? Two - my buddy loves working on cars, owns the exact same model/year and agrees to labor costs being paid in homebrew. Win/win if you ask me. When the entire world's economy comes to a collapse - I'll be ready to barter.

What kind of job do I have? 3. Seriously. I'm a GS working for Uncle Sugar (some of you know him as Uncle Sam), teaching some of the finest young Americans in the country (Marines, naturally) how to kill our nation's enemies with Close Air Support. I'm also a Marine Reserve CH-46E pilot. And yes, it's awesome - and therefore I'm awesome by association. I took one hobby (researching travel) and am starting to turn it into a business. My wife and I bought into a travel agency franchise. Last year (my first year ever in sales, marketing, travel industry, etc) we sold almost $40K in travel. I netted a whopping $2000 in commission. After paying for marketing, etc - I think the business account is sitting at around $400. Gotta start somewhere, right?

Anywho, great PIF - I hope some lucky guy gets it, whether it's me or not.

Last edited:
Great PIF barbagnosa! Good to see new guys taking the time to tell a little about themselves and get some good shaving bear in the process. It's quite the sampler. Good luck to all!

obviously not in as I've been around a while, but I'll probabk keep checking back. (My vote is for my fellow brother in arms above me though). Not that my vote counts or anything lol.

Kyro

Not in even though I qualify. I'd rather someone else got the goodies your PIFing as I already have way too much shaving stuff. Thanks anyway and great PIF!!!

I am IN!

Joined November 19[SUP]th[/SUP], 2014

I put a lot of this in my “new arrival” post but in a nutshell…I went years without ever thinking about shaving. It was something I had to do and didn’t enjoy. My skin is dry and sensitive so rash and burn were very common. I skipped as many days as I could get by with. At some point I decided to do something about it. I went through all of the iterations of mass produced things with some success but nothing earth shattering. I divorced a few years ago and if any of you out there have been through that then you know every penny spent starts to count, especially with kids involved. I went through a simplification of my life, back to basics that were versatile and affordable. Clothes, car, furniture, etc. Shaving supply refill time came up and I couldn’t bring myself to pay for the expensive cartridges. Long story short, after much debate and reservation, I looked into DE as a cost saving option. It appealed to me for $$ and also because I like classic, simple things that just work. I grew up with my grandparents and that kind of thinking sort of ties me back to them in my head. They were retired so we lived on benefits mostly. They had a bookstore but that pretty much broke even and was really just a way to feed the families reading habits. Don’t get me wrong, we weren’t poor. There was always a meal and I had clothes but we were below average. Sometimes we had powdered milk with the cereal and some of those clothes were hand me downs. It taught me to be aware of everything I spend and put the money where it counts. For me, if I can save $10 a month on shaving supplies and still get a good shave that is one more time I can take my girls to the ice cream shop that month. Worth it.

So I am getting started in this wet shave change with the focus on finding affordable options that punch above their weight and give me that little piece of nostalgic pull towards the grandparents. I am doing my best to avoid the slippery slope of turning this into a hobby or collection but it is tough since there are so many options and almost every good source is online. I ran across B&B doing a search for types of straight razors for a friend (bought a honed razor from a member here actually) and have been reading since my join date. I took almost a solid month before I made my first purchase (Remie 3 piece) and am relatively happy with it but would love to get my hands on a TTO to compare side by side. I am also searching for a good budget cream for daily use but can’t bring myself to buy more when I already have some that work even if I am not thrilled with them. I have a fair amount fo stuff to get me by for now but this PIF is pretty ideal because it contains a few things that I have been curious about but just a little out of budget to have multiples of at this point (TTO, Palmolive, a few of those blades). Also provides a couple of “special occasion” scents that I wouldn’t use everyday and would be a luxury (Stirling) and would also give me enough to have a real travel kit. My fiancée lives about 2 hours away for the next 4 months so I live out of a bag a decent amount. If I got this PIF I definitely have a couple of things that I could send on myself.

Normally I don’t have a problem offering some wit to my comments but I really have to say that regardless of if I win or not, the simple nature of this type of thing kind of takes it out of me and puts me in an appreciative and respectful mood. That is what really has drawn me into this forum I think. It is refreshing. Everyone has been polite to me and I have seen the same questions asked repeatedly but not a foul or cross response to any of them.

As far as where I am…born and raised in the Atlanta GA area and still here now.

Top Bottom