What's new

Heine's Blend Question

I have an old tin of Heine's Blend tobacco that was my grandfather's. There are also some old pipes (kaywoodie, medico and yello-bole). The stamp on the lid is from August 1954. There is still some tobacco in the tin. I know practically nothing about smoking a pipe. I'm thinking about getting some tobacco and corn cob pipe. I have found where I can get Heine's Blend tobacco.
My question is whether I should dump out the old dried tobacco, or if it's something I should save.

Last edited:
Hmmm. Well if it were me, I would smell it and make sure it still smelled like tobacco. If it smells like dust, musty, or moldy I would pitch it. If it is dried out, which it most undoubtedly is, I would rehydrate it and smoke a bowl. The worst thing that could happen is that it tastes bad. Nothing a little mouthwash can't fix!

As a new pipe smoker, you might want to wait a bit and get your smoking technique down before attempting to smoke it. Nothing makes a good tobacco taste bad as bad technique. Trust me, I know from experience. I think you would be doing your grandfather an honor by smoking it in one of his pipes!

Thank you for the info. There is almost a whole tin and it smells great. I started looking at some of his pipes, one of them may be a Yello-bole from the 30s. There are 6 pipes total.
I'm going to get a pipe and some baccy to try pipe smoking.

$Pipes.jpg$Stamp.jpg I will post pictures of the individual pipes separately.

Thanks, I don't even work out.

Hahahaha. Nice.

You might want to get a Mason jar to put the tobacco in. I know it has survived thus far in the tin, but you might want to take the extra steps to further preserve it since you have now re-opened the tin.

Should I use a boveda pack or something similar to bring it back slowly?

Well, there are a couple of things you can do. One is to lay out the tobacco on a paper towel. Soak another paper towel in water and wring out as much water as you can. Lay the wet towel over the tobacco and let it sit for a while until the moisture is absorbed into the tobacco. You don't want to get the tobacco too wet. Just wet enough so it doesn't crunch and break apart when rubbed between your fingers.

Another thing you can do is order some of these. Soak these in water and put them either in the tin or in the Mason jar.

Last edited:
Thank you for the info Riff Raff. I ordered 3 of the pouch humidifiers. I also ordered some 1Q, Sutliff Vanilla Custard, MM cob and several other items (cigars, cleaning supplies, etc). Now I just have to learn how to smoke a pipe.

I'm not sure what that tobacco is worth but I would imagine a LOT (to the right person). Then again, with the sentimental value, it's probably not worth selling. Still, an incredible piece of live history. Congratulations.

Thank you for the info Riff Raff. I ordered 3 of the pouch humidifiers. I also ordered some 1Q, Sutliff Vanilla Custard, MM cob and several other items (cigars, cleaning supplies, etc). Now I just have to learn how to smoke a pipe.

Once you get your technique down, I am interested in hearing your impressions of that tobacco. Just remember to be patient and technique is everything.

Enjoy your new adventure!

When I was a younger man, all I thought about was getting my hands on some Heine. Now it's not even on my top five "to do" list.

Top Bottom