What's new

Dark Holler Design Works preview

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Hey Ken,
I think I sent my brush request as a PM here @ B&B, not as an e mail. Does that mean I missed the list?

You're good. Just do me a favor and send one to my username at darkholler dot com. It's easier for me to keep track that way.

Thanks.

Feeling excited, Ken. Your brushes are stunning! I might have missed this, but which of Lee's knots are you going to offer for your initial release? And then, do you plan on having a standard selection of different knots from Lee? Thanks so much!

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Feeling excited, Ken. Your brushes are stunning! I might have missed this, but which of Lee's knots are you going to offer for your initial release? And then, do you plan on having a standard selection of different knots from Lee? Thanks so much!

Thanks much. Knots in first-batch brushes will be 2-band. FWIW, I don't put much stock in labels; there's too much variance from batch to batch, and no consistent standards.

I've now used one of the Ebonite-handled PK-47s we received back this past Saturday three days in a row. I'd describe its appearance and characteristics as typical of what Lee labels as Blonde Badger. It seems very close to the hair he used in the first batch of M&F Group Buy Chiefs (which I have more experience with than brushes that were shipped later in the group buy), except the knots Lee used for the Ebonite-handled brushes appear to be somewhat more dense across the board. Not as dense as a 2XL, though. Good backbone in my judgment. My face is highly sensitive to scritch, and I've detected none so far. But that's something with respect to which mileage broadly varies.

I hope we'll be able to offer some variety within a standard selection, but that will depend on what Lee has available. I'll certainly advocate for it.

Last edited:
Outstanding. I prefer 2-bands with zero scritch. With your American made handles and Lee's hair...oh boy! I see quite a few Dark Holler brushes in my future.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Outstanding. I prefer 2-bands with zero scritch. With your American made handles and Lee's hair...oh boy! I see quite a few Dark Holler brushes in my future.

I should have added that I can't say with certainty whether the knots Lee used for the Ebonite-handled brushes were made with the same hair as the ones he's installing in the rest of the first-batch handles. However, I have no reason to expect otherwise. In any case, I'll be sure to post my impressions after I've had an opportunity to try out one of the latter, which should be reasonably soon.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
... it seems this whole thing will be epic... and endless.

Epic preview anyhow.

Hopefully not endless preview. :blush:

Talked to Lee late yesterday. Sounds like he's pleased with how labels have turned out. He suffered a paper cut to one of his eyes while playing with his son Harry and ended up in the hospital on Sunday, so he's a bit handicapped at present. Last week he fell into a trench in his yard.

I've now dreamt about shaving brushes four nights running.

Talked to Lee late yesterday. Sounds like he's pleased with how labels have turned out. He suffered a paper cut to one of his eyes while playing with his son Harry and ended up in the hospital on Sunday, so he's a bit handicapped at present. Last week he fell into a trench in his yard.

Hoping he's fine, but the first thing I thought was "That sounds like a script for a 3 Stooges Movie"

Am I the only excited to see the labels? I don't believe anyone has seen it and there have been no teasers aside from the potential use of your last avatar image of the owl.

Last edited:

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Hoping he's fine, but the first thing I thought was "That sounds like a script for a 3 Stooges Movie"

Am I the only excited to see the labels? I don't believe anyone has seen it and there have been no teasers aside from the potential use of your last avatar image of the owl.

Dark Holler Design Works is our shop name, what we do, and will be our company name (when I get around to filing the paperwork). The label we chose for use on brushes produced in collaboration with Lee is Paladin. So these will be Paladin Shaving brushes made with Dark Holler handles and Lee Sabini knots.

Dark Holler Design Works is our shop name, what we do, and will be our company name (when I get around to filing the paperwork). The label we chose for use on brushes produced in collaboration with Lee is Paladin. So these will be Paladin Shaving brushes made with Dark Holler handles and Lee Sabini knots.

Got it, thanks. I'm still interested to see how the brushes are labeled, what wording is used, what fonts, simple like M&F or decorative like Wyborg etc.

I don't know why, but I'm curious.

Last edited:

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Got it, thanks. I'm still interested to see how the brushes are labeled, what wording is used, what fonts, simple like M&F or decorative like Wyborg etc.

I don't know why, but I'm curious.

Something like this on the handles:

proxy.php

Maybe a little smaller.

Something like this on the T-shirts:

proxy.php

With a TM stuck in.

I really like the logos! The more minimalistic design is something I am particularly fond of.

And t-shirts? Now I feel spoiled! :lol:

Top Bottom