What's new

Nib Acquisitions, December 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't expect this thread to have a ton of entries early, but the holidays should bring some great acquisitions.

I will start: for me, I picked up a fine-nib Levenger True Writer Kyoto.

ETA: I guess not.

Last edited:
I nabbed a couple of Sheaffer cartridge pens (#304 nbs) on the Bay for $7 shipped. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Vintage-S...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I really like these throwbacks. I wrote with a school pen when I was, well, in school. And my daily driver is an ED-converted one with a medium nib.

I haven't yet decided if I'm going to ED these new ones or try to find some generic cartridges that fit.

UPDATE: Googling around... Will these pens take international carts?

Last edited:
I nabbed a couple of Sheaffer cartridge pens (#304 nbs) on the Bay for $7 shipped. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Vintage-Sheaffer-Founbtain-Pens-w-304-Nibs-L-K-/131359717219?nma=true&si=JPbcxp%252B%252BAbJTbbsAFYWzmlTH%252Fq8%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I really like these throwbacks. I wrote with a school pen when I was, well, in school. And my daily driver is an ED-converted one with a medium nib.

I haven't yet decided if I'm going to ED these new ones or try to find some generic cartridges that fit.

I believe they will only take the proprietary Sheaffer cartridges. Although, you can always refill an empty cartridge with whatever ink you want, using a syringe with a blunt-tip needle.

I nabbed a couple of Sheaffer cartridge pens (#304 nbs) on the Bay for $7 shipped. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Vintage-S...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I believe they will only take the proprietary Sheaffer cartridges. Although, you can always refill an empty cartridge with whatever ink you want, using a syringe with a blunt-tip needle.

Perhaps a Sheaffer converter would fit?

http://www.gouletpens.com/SH86700/p/SH86700

I had to try it. The international cartridges work. They look a little odd, but the ink flows fine.

I usually use GouletPens for my pen-related purchases, but I was in one of our local shops yesterday. This is the only shop, I believe, in my area that has any FP related merchandise. I had always been curious about the Lamy Studio. They had one in Imperial Blue with a fine nib, which is exactly what I was looking for. It was nice to be able to physically examine a pen before pulling the trigger.

It cost me about $10-$12 more than I would have paid from GouletPens and I feel bad that I didn't give Goulet my business, but I was also happy to support a local pen shop. Their selection is relatively limited, so they won't be taking over all of my "nib needs," but it is nice to have something nearby so I would like to keep them there.

Pictures to follow when I take some.

There is something to be said for supporting local brick-and-mortar businesses. One thing I try to avoid (although not always successful!) is looking at and trying out an item in a local shop, and then going home and ordering it online to save a few dollars.

I usually use GouletPens for my pen-related purchases, but I was in one of our local shops yesterday. This is the only shop, I believe, in my area that has any FP related merchandise. I had always been curious about the Lamy Studio. They had one in Imperial Blue with a fine nib, which is exactly what I was looking for. It was nice to be able to physically examine a pen before pulling the trigger.

It cost me about $10-$12 more than I would have paid from GouletPens and I feel bad that I didn't give Goulet my business, but I was also happy to support a local pen shop. Their selection is relatively limited, so they won't be taking over all of my "nib needs," but it is nice to have something nearby so I would like to keep them there.

Pictures to follow when I take some.
I would pay $10 to $12 more gladly if I could try pens in person before I purchased them. I would because I would want the opportunity to continue to be available to me. In fact, it would probably save me money because I wouldn't buy pens just to see if I like them or not.

Levenger refunded my purchase of the Kyoto because it was out of stock and is discontinued. Oh well.

I probably don't need another pen right this minute anyway. :lol:

Levenger refunded my purchase of the Kyoto because it was out of stock and is discontinued. Oh well.

I probably don't need another pen right this minute anyway. :lol:
The Kyoto is discontinued? Bummer...It's one of prettiest pens I own. And a very nice performer, to boot.
--------
Hmmm...just checked the Levenger web site and they still have the True Writer Kyoto available (although currently with a Medium nib only).

Last edited:
I got my leaky Pelikan 140 back from Ron Zorn. :) Such a smooth writer and oh so pretty...

I was going to have it fixed at the Columbus Pen Show but he couldn't get it apart. He took it back to his shop with him and expedited it a bit since he couldn't fix it at the show. It took three weeks instead 4-6 months!

Very happy with the customer service!

The Kyoto is discontinued? Bummer...It's one of prettiest pens I own. And a very nice performer, to boot

Not to worry, a trade came in. I now own a cordovan brown Vac 51 with a 1/8 14k gold-filled cap, and a Bexley Jitterbug.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Here:

$IMG_2129.jpg

Sorry for the crappy picture, guess, I need to dust-off my laptop.....

SWMBO gave me my birthday gift a little early, my birthday is Christmas Eve. She bought me the Monteverde Invincia and it is a smooth and great looking pen. Have some pictures!

Freddie wanted to be in the picture. It was packaged very well

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417890266.083503.jpg

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417890321.306703.jpg

Beautiful finish on it, chrome and a "carbon fiber" barrel.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417890373.196932.jpg

The nib is very smooth and flows great.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417890415.871093.jpg

Thanks guys, I now have a Nib addiction and SWMBO is in on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom