What's new

Need help. My wife and I have verry different taste

During the summer I fell in love with
Aventus: my wife thinks it's just okay(for that kind of money I want something she will love)
4711: she says I smell like her grandmother
Florida water: she says smells cheap (which it is)

She preffered me wearing
YSL L'Homme: (which I find very generic and ordinary)
Mark Ekko Blue :(Nice citrus top notes but doesn't project well and dies off too quickly)
Versace Eros: all around cheesy scent

Now it's fall and here we go again.
I love
Bay Rum: she thinks I smell like the seasoning cabinet
Crabtree and Evelyn Moroccan Myrh: she thinks it's kind of nice
Creed original Santel: she thinks it smells good from "a distance"
Creed Royal oud: she absolutely despises this one
Fine vetiver: just blah
Spice bomb: here comes the seasoning cabinet analogy again

she likes
Givenchy play intense: I feel like that is a sent for a teenager going to a club

please refrain from all of the get a new wife comments. That's not happening, despite this we are very much in love and have five children together.

Based on this information what are some happy medium's?

That is the way it should be. Take blankets: five for her plus the heating on. None for us, window open, ideally. Food, manners at the table, underwear thrown away, beer and poker with friends and a very peculiar capabilty of forgetting to pay the bills plus the amount of time they take to shop... And so forth. Men and women are different, why your tastes should be the same as hers?

Marriage is made of constant negotiations men are doomed to loose. Still, I enjoy the constant quarrels this means. If handed correctly, it adds some spice to your life.

Plus, it gives you the chance to mark the points when needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wear what you want and occasionally throw one in there that she likes for date night or whatever. Sadly, as it is with most women, that's often going to be a generic freshy.

try Creed Original Vetiver. A gentleman's fragrance with almost universal appeal. pricey, but worth it.

If that fails..may I suggest the following:

Pick 3 fragrances that you really like. From the three, have your wife pick the one she likes the most. This way you BOTH had input.

She will probably like the Polo #4 in the orange bottle. Has a somewhat citrusy note.

My wife approved so I picked up a bottle. I tell her to pick whatever will result in the greatest amount of marital relations.

5 children? Clearly something is working. I suspect you need far less help than most members here. That out of the way, here's my take.

Wear what you like unless it's a scent she absolutely dislikes. Many scents take time to get used to. Knize 10 is a good example of one of those for me. At first my wife didn't like it, but I kept wearing it and she grew quite fond of it. Pure oud oil, however, is a no no for her and time has not changed that in the least. I wear it only when we are not together for the day.

The second thing is to get some sampler packs from Lucky Scent or Decantshop. Enlist her support in choosing them. First of all, scent descriptions are the most hilarious writing snippets in the world and an evening spent reading them with your spouse is a surprisingly fun even romantic evening. Trust me on this. Secondly, she'll have an investment in the outcome. The scents that don't work for you can be PIF'ed to others. Or she might even wear them.

My wife has very pedestrian taste when it comes to masculine scents.

She likes Aqua Di Gio and Victoria's Secret Very Sexy for men. She also really likes the Bath and Body Works Bigelow Lemon.

I tend to be a fan of Vetivers, which she doesn't care much for at all.

5 children? Clearly something is working. I suspect you need far less help than most members here. That out of the way, here's my take.

Wear what you like unless it's a scent she absolutely dislikes. Many scents take time to get used to. Knize 10 is a good example of one of those for me. At first my wife didn't like it, but I kept wearing it and she grew quite fond of it. Pure oud oil, however, is a no no for her and time has not changed that in the least. I wear it only when we are not together for the day.

The second thing is to get some sampler packs from Lucky Scent or Decantshop. Enlist her support in choosing them. First of all, scent descriptions are the most hilarious writing snippets in the world and an evening spent reading them with your spouse is a surprisingly fun even romantic evening. Trust me on this. Secondly, she'll have an investment in the outcome. The scents that don't work for you can be PIF'ed to others. Or she might even wear them.

I'm going to echo Oakeshott, wear it enough and she'll likely get used to it. Mind you, she won't love it, but she'll get used to it.

Sounds to me that your wife is like my gf, the scents she really likes are ones I view high school juniors spraying liberally over themselves. Me, I like most of the ones you listed.

You need to make a date and go to the fragrance counter at Macy's, or probably Dillard's or the Belk in your case, and go wild. I'm sure after a bunch of sniffing you will come to a wonderful agreement!

I feel your pain.

I like the smell of most bay rums, the Lass hates all bay rums. In her sake, I dont buy it.

I find scents many women prefer are like fashions. They go for the latest fad.

IME, you stop smelling your fragrance very quickly after applying it, so I'd recommend wearing something she likes and forgetting about whether it appeals to you. The things we do for love...

I Wear, (and no preference, they are all enjoyed the same)

L'homme (and I wouldn't call it ordinary, it does stand out as one of the best scents out there, but I do find it very strong so I wear it very sparingly)

Roots spirit for men

Water... actually "H2O" which is a knock-off, as I wanted something nice to spray around in the car (I like a nice smelling car), bought that one because it was the best smelling one and turns out that I really love it and use it on me (and the car) and wished I'd bought more bottles as I can't find this knock-off anymore and my bottle is starting to get low.

and of course : Old Spice

And my wife absolutely loves them all... somehow we are on the same page when it comes to scents.

Based on what you wrote, I would recommend checking out these mainstream fragrances:
- The entire Chanel line-up specifically Bleu de Chanel, Egoiste Platinum, Antaeus, Allure Homme Edition Blanche and Allure Homme Sport
- YSL La Nuit de l'Homme
- The venerable Terre d'Hermes - Orange (slightly darker/bitter) note up top that she appears to favor blended with a woody, vetiver-ish dry down that you would appreciate

I had the same issue with my wife, and so we went to Niemen Marcus on a Date Night and scented everything. We came away with Guy Laroche Drakkar Noir (the real stuff not the cheap stuff they sell at Walmart) Diptique Tam Dao and Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille, and we also found a Tremendously expensive "Dark Amber", but it was WAY out of our ball park...the 3ML tester was $149 alone....haha, but the salesperson did give us a spray, which was amazing!

Guy Laroche Drakkar Noir (the real stuff not the cheap stuff they sell at Walmart)

Maybe you're confusing this with something else? Neiman Marcus does not sell Drakkar. And the stuff they sell at Wal Mart is the exact same stuff they sell at every other store.

Maybe you're confusing this with something else? Neiman Marcus does not sell Drakkar. And the stuff they sell at Wal Mart is the exact same stuff they sell at every other store.
Perhaps your local NM store doesn't sell it but mine does...in fact they carry Lagerfeld, and Art of Shaving, too which other locations do not sell. As for the Drakkar, I've seen bottles of it at Walmart that read 'Made in Taiwan' and have seams down the side from when the bottle was made...I CHALLENGE you to find either of those on a bottle sold at a high end retailer, so yeah, there is a difference.

Top Bottom