What's new

Meanwhile back at the lathe...

Just a quick handle project as a return favor for "econjoe" for the use of his hone.
This one is maple burl just after fishing it out of a can of spar urethane after a couple of days of soaking. It will get a finish coat then be ready to ship.
Hope you enjoy it. I especially hope Joe enjoys it.
$uploadfromtaptalk1410470244703.jpg
$uploadfromtaptalk1410470297801.jpg
I also hope posting this from my phone works.

Here he goes again, sneaking new brush handle threads in under my nose! WOW DAVE! I really like that design! Joe is certainly in for a treat:drool:

Here he goes again, sneaking new brush handle threads in under my nose! WOW DAVE! I really like that design! Joe is certainly in for a treat:drool:
Thanks, brother! Not bad for half an hour from decision to start and putting it in the finish can. If I do say so myself.

That is lovely, and to say done in half hour - excellent craftsmanship. Joe is a lucky man.

Photos could have been better........

Y'all are too kind! Guru, you are right, they are terrible. They were taken with, reviewed on and posted from my phone. I'll get some better shots before it gets shipped.

Except for my first brush, the rest I've done have been around 1 inch deep. Makes for very good backbone.
The 1" reference was regarding the diameter of the hole. The depth is about 22mm, but you are right, it is better to drill deeper than you need and adjust up from there. I (and many others, I'm sure) made the same mistake on my first brush as well.

Here is a picture of the handle on the lathe after receiving the finish coat of urethane. It will spin on the lathe slowly until mostly cured to insure against runs. This pic may be in focus, we'll see.
$IMG_20140912_165908_830.jpg

I too made that mistake. Just gives me another reason to make another brush! Looking good, Dave. The picture is focused enough for me[emoji3] I really like your beadwork there...

I too made that mistake. Just gives me another reason to make another brush! Looking good, Dave. The picture is focused enough for me[emoji3] I really like your beadwork there...

Thanks again, CAP. The shape, now that I think about it, is just a scaled version of the barrel of many of the duck calls I've turned. That's probably why it didn't take very long to complete. Hmmm....maybe I'll make a full "duck call" brush for myself next.

Top Bottom