What's new

What are your favourite non-biblical quotes?

Lady Nancy Astor:
"Winston, if you were my husband, I'd put poison in your coffee."

Winston Churchill:
"Nancy, if you were my wife, I'd drink it."

It is easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission.
- unknown

Look left, look right. One of you won't graduate.
- my physics teacher on the first day of university

I know.
- Han Solo (to Princess Leia)

... and this one is prominently displayed in my cubicle at work:

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
- unknown

A reporter is interviewing The Beatles:

Reporter: "John, what kind of women do you like?"
John:"I like my wife."
Reporter:"George, what kind of women do you like?"
George:"I like John's wife."

Reporter:"Is Ringo the best drummer in the world?"
John:"Ringo isn't even the best drummer in The Beatles."

Reporter:"How did you find America?"
John:"Turn left at Greenland."

Last edited:
"If you're young and conservative, you have no heart. If you're old and liberal, you have no brain". Winston Churchill

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
You are only paranoiduntil you are right - then you are a visionary.

'If you lend someone$20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.'

Pity the poor agnosticdyslexic insomniac who lies awake at night wondering if there really is a Dog.

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." -- Sinclair Lewis

"This is not a novel to be tossed aside lightly. It should be thrown with great force." -- Dorothy Parker, reviewing Atlas Shrugged

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." -- Sinclair Lewis

"This is not a novel to be tossed aside lightly. It should be thrown with great force." -- Dorothy Parker, reviewing Atlas Shrugged

The Parker quote reminds me of the famous line from Clive James' review of Brezhnev's biography:

"If you were to recite even a single page in the open air, birds would fall out of the sky and dogs drop dead. "

I have noticed that even people who claim everything is predetermined and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.
-Stephen Hawking

The Dorothy Parker quotation was about another novel, alas.

'If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” - George Orwell

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Dans ses écrits, un sage Italien
Dit que le mieux est l'ennemi du bien.
-Voltaire

Better a diamond with a flaw than a pebble without.
-Confucius

General form:
Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

Top Bottom