What's new

The lightest (but still good) double edge razor?

I have a merkur something or other that lives at a girlfriend's house, and i usually use an edwin jager something or other (sorry all the packaging is long gone - it's red, and probably cost $40) but here's the thing: I want a quality DE razor that is light. I don't mind if the head is heavier (and I'm not saying I want it so light it's slippy), but I don't need heft to control my stroke, and I've been wondering for a while now (just haven't had time to post) about what a good lightweight DE is. Anything under $100 I would buy immediately and report back

I suggest any of the modern or vintage bakelite razors - they are all pretty light, and provide a very nimble shave. West Coast Shaving sells the current Merkur 45 bakelite DE razor new for a little more than a third of your budget. It would shave comparably to your current razors.

On various online sites you can search for vintage bakelite DE razors, and then be stroking your chin over the selection!

Happy Hunting - there are plenty to choose from in the wild!

I recently bought an all aluminium Standard razor & I think that it would suit your purposes. It shaves as good as my Weber PH, but is even smoother. I mostly use heavy stainless steel razors & I thought that the light weight of the Standard would give me issues, but it has perfect balance & quite a thick handle, so I don't find the lack of weight a problem. The handle, though not knurled, is matte finished & I don't find it at all slippery (unlike my Muhle R89 handle).

I recently bought an all aluminium Standard razor & I think that it would suit your purposes. It shaves as good as my Weber PH, but is even smoother. I mostly use heavy stainless steel razors & I thought that the light weight of the Standard would give me issues, but it has perfect balance & quite a thick handle, so I don't find the lack of weight a problem. The handle, though not knurled, is matte finished & I don't find it at all slippery (unlike my Muhle R89 handle).
Agree 100%. Also prefer heavy stainless usually, but the Stanard Razors aluminum razors are really great, smooth and efficient, shavers. Super light.

+1 for this. Bakelite is as light as it gets.

I suggest any of the modern or vintage bakelite razors - they are all pretty light, and provide a very nimble shave. West Coast Shaving sells the current Merkur 45 bakelite DE razor new for a little more than a third of your budget. It would shave comparably to your current razors.

On various online sites you can search for vintage bakelite DE razors, and then be stroking your chin over the selection!

Happy Hunting - there are plenty to choose from in the wild!

Don't those corrode over time?

Not if they are stored properly. I have a 70's Aluminium handles Tech in practically mint condition -

$20140804_202141.jpg

Moreover, most of the times the corroded aluminium forms a layer on the base metal which actually protects it.

Another vote for the Feather Popular. I'd also suggest the Wilkinson Sword Classic as another lightweight option.

I've tried a few of the suggestions and have been finding it hard to put down my Bakelite Tech. It is nice and light and provides a very good shave mine was from eBay as part of a grooming kit and did not cost much at all.

Top Bottom