What's new

Jeans Going Out Of Style?

That CNBC article noted that VF Corp (maker of Wrangler jeans) saw domestic US sales drop by 6 percent over the past year, and they call that a long term trend? Maybe this article was written at the beginning of the week, as I saw reports on CNBC over this past week fretting about the weakness in retail sales. Macy's, Nordstrom, and Walmart all reported less than expected numbers. Commentators were speculating as to whether or not back-to-school sales would help stores catch back up.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
proxy.php

In the 80's people who wore skinny ties laughed at people wearing fat ties. In the 90's skinny ties were laughed at in favor of bigger ties. Now thinner ties are back in. Such is the fleeting world of fashion.
In the 80's acid washed jeans were in. Before that, thinner blue jeans. Now, jeans with huge embroidery on the back pockets.
I'm pretty sure in "Back To The Future" Marty was wearing jeans. No one mentioned those, but they did ask him if he jumped ship regarding his down vest.

blue jeans wont go out of style, now the style of blue jeans will. Anyone who grew up in mid 90s will remember the oversized jeans, a couple years ago skinny jeans (or wearing your sisters jeans) were in style.

We really don't have a replacement for blue jeans. Other than dress pants or shorts.

No matter what happens in the rest of the rest of the world, we will keep jeans going here in Texas. I suspect being on NBC, some pointy shoed liberal wrote that article...
:001_rolle

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
No matter what happens in the rest of the rest of the world, we will keep jeans going here in Texas. I suspect being on NBC, some pointy shoed liberal wrote that article...
:001_rolle

I bet his shoes aren't as pointy as your boots.

proxy.php

:lol:

I fully suspect that those who take this ...

proxy.php

... as the ultimate inspiration for their dress code will never abandon jeans. And there's probably lots of guys like that in Texas. And that image has had a huge influence on dress throughout the western (pun not intended) world since WWII at least, but the question is ... will that influence continue?

Hell no ! I don't believe in trends. Classic clean-cut look never goes out of style, ie. dark denim, tucked dress shirt and sport jacket paired with some casual/elegant shoes. I don't care about any Justin Biebers and other swaggots out there who wear overalls, jeans that have crotch right up to their knees (I guess it is supposed to show that they have something to fit in that space) or anything like that. Classic jeans will NEVER go out of style, only some fancy models like one described above will change.

It will be a cold day in hell if I switch out distressed jeans and combat boots for salmon shorts and boat shoes! Follow your own style and path, rather than the trend others buy into.

If you think Jeans are going out style, I have a bridge I would like to sell you.
All industries have its ups and downs. Back in the 90’s it was all about Levi’s. I had the jeans, shirts, sweaters. They almost went bankrupt by the end of the 90’s. They had to restructure and go back to focusing only on Jeans again.
The trend followers will increase and decrease sales depending on how the fashon winds blow. Average people like me will always wear jeans. We will follow the styles as far as color and cut but beyond that we will not stop wearing them because GQ doesn’t think they are in this season.
My two cents worth
Johnny

Last edited:
Top Bottom