What's new

First honed edge

I honed my first straight today from start to finish. Killed the edge on ceramic tile. I honed through a progression of lapping film that I received from isi07734 in a generous PIF. Progressed about 50 laps each of 15, 12, 9, 5 and 3 micron films laid on top of my Cnat stone. I did 10 laps on 1 micron then added wet paper and did about 25 more laps. Finished by stropping about 40 laps on leather.
I know I should have stropped more, but I was scared I was going to ruin the edge if I made a bad stroke. I shaved with the razor and ended up with not quite a DFS shave. I went two passes WTG. I got a little more than a weeper on the curve of my chin. Other than that there was little to no irritation. I would imagine that had I finished with an alum block it might not have been the same story.

Sounds good!

Gamma, what do you think about spending 15 gentle min on the CNat to put a natural finish on the bevel before the 1 micron. I know it depends on the CNat, but it might smooth things out. Then a couple laps on the 1 micron and strop. It might also combat a potential wire.

Gamma, what do you think about spending 15 gentle min on the CNat to put a natural finish on the bevel before the 1 micron. I know it depends on the CNat, but it might smooth things out. Then a couple laps on the 1 micron and strop. It might also combat a potential wire.

Cant say, I dont use films. 1um is prob finer than the Chug, but perhaps the brick will leave a smoother edge.
It would depend on the stone - no way to know for sure without trying it.

If you dont have a wire edge issue, dont worry about fixing it.

Next go around I'm going to set the bevel on a 1k king followed by progressing through the film. If you were me, would you go to the stone after film? Pre 1u?

I would try it after the 3 um film. Impossible to say how fine the cnat is as has been said here. But the 2 will provide a very different feel IMO. The natural should be a smoother feel, at least thats how my face takes it. Only one way to find out though. Perhaps since your just starting, see how you can develop the edge off of films first. It is easier and much faster. Your call of course. Once you have that one down, by all means experiment.

Next go around I'm going to set the bevel on a 1k king followed by progressing through the film. If you were me, would you go to the stone after film? Pre 1u?

Try it all ways possible and see what works for you. There is nothing wrong with experimenting now, before or later.
As long as you're consistent in your attack, and taking notes - whatever you do is fine.

Mix it up - have fun - this is honing, not saving lives.
So give those plans a spin and see what you get.

Not that it matters - but personally - I would not be inclined to try film-stone-film. I would want 100% of the natural stone's benefits on the edge, without having it compromised by synthetic film.

But you may enjoy the result from putting it before the 1um.

Top Bottom