What's new

Good Thermos?

For quality and durability you just can't come close to the Aladdin Stanley stainless steel insulated bottle. Twist open cap and nice cup. Almost all current all steel bottles copy the Stanley. We've had them fall out of trucks at highway speeds and they hold up. I don't think they hold heat as well as the glass-lined "thermos" but they get the job done.
I bought a NOS 1981 vintage Stanley 1 qt. Then i got my 7 yr. Old Chinese made Stanley and filled them both with water from my coffee maker. I put them outside where the temp stayed in the 20's for 20 hrs. Adjusting for a slight temp difference when filling both bottles, the vintage Stanley was 10 degrees warmer in the end. So while the vintage did outperform the new one. It wasn't by much. That said, I hate the stoppers in the new Chinese models. Mine is ready for its third one.

I bought a NOS 1981 vintage Stanley 1 qt. Then i got my 7 yr. Old Chinese made Stanley and filled them both with water from my coffee maker. I put them outside where the temp stayed in the 20's for 20 hrs. Adjusting for a slight temp difference when filling both bottles, the vintage Stanley was 10 degrees warmer in the end. So while the vintage did outperform the new one. It wasn't by much. That said, I hate the stoppers in the new Chinese models. Mine is ready for its third one.
Thanks for posting some hard comparison data.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I use a 16oz Thermos Tumbler and 2/16oz Thermos Bottles daily
The tumbler will keep my coffee hot for an entire 8 hour shift and the bottles at least 18 to 20 hours.
Of course they usually don't last that long

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 31
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 30
I travel a lot, so I always use a thermos to have something warm and liquid on the way from one point to another. When I only started traveling, I didn't think it would be so important, so I bought a cheap one. It didn't keep food warm and leaked a lot, so then I decided to buy a new one, but that time a bit more expensive. https://keepithot.co/best-soup-thermos helped me a lot because they give good options for different price categories. So go to check it!

first fill it with boiling water and let it sit for a minute, then immediately dump it out and put in the tea.

Pre-heating it makes a big difference.
Got this at Target. $25, holds 25 oz. Nice size works great. I would add that I let my hot water sit in there 10 minutes.
15214604332311178991921.jpg

While maybe not an actual thermos as we all remeber, I picked up an Orca growler at menards for $12.99 and couldn’t be happier. I drove semi during the summers to put myself through college and had the old Stanley and while they were great I was lucky if hot coffee lasted 12 hours. Now I travel a lot for work and the thought of having to drink hotel coffee is nauseating at best. I fill up my orca after work, usually with coffee from speedway or circle K which isn’t horrible, and the next morning the coffee is still piping hot. The downfall is that the orca doesn’t have a cup for a lid but I also carry the orca tumblr with me to cure that problem.

Here's a question a bit off topic, but not really.

Does anyone know of one of these that is designed to fit in a bottle cage of a bicycle? Even if you put ice in a regular plastic bottle, in Australia your water is always warm after a few hour riding.
I know it's an old post, but in case anyone is still wanting one, the Travel Kuppe Vacuum Insulated Stainless steel Cycling Sports water bottle is now available (came out in 2016, I hear). Lists itself as the first insulated steel water bottle for bikes. Available for under $40 US.

I have a 1970's Standley and a 1980's one and they both work great and even better when I preheat them with boiling hot water.

I use a 16oz Thermos Tumbler and 2/16oz Thermos Bottles daily
The tumbler will keep my coffee hot for an entire 8 hour shift and the bottles at least 18 to 20 hours.
Of course they usually don't last that long

I use the tumbler in this post. It keeps coffee piping hot for literally hours. I usually drink it long before that but I’ve left it only to remember I didn’t finish it and it was still super hot on my tongue. Nice tumbler.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I too have the Stanley Green coffee/tea thermos as well as the soup sized one. My wife and I share two Yeti 20 oz rambler mugs. I fill her's with ice and water every morning. If she does not finish it there is still ice left in it the next morning. My coffee is still warm enough to drink in the afternoon.

Legion

Staff member
Picked up a “new” US made Aladdin, as a backup to my vintage Stanley (they seem to be exactly the same, except for the paint job.) Overall good condition after 40 years, except it was missing the cup on top.

Good thing I had a spare in a box. Never throw anything away.

IMG_7736.jpeg

Top Bottom