What's new

Medical Prep Personna

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
A different angle is honed onto the Med Preps (from the Labs) and many people don't feel any difference at all. Unfortunately, I do. I also find that the quality control is better with the Med Preps - but that's based on one box of 100 Labs so take it at face value (no pun intended). You really need to try them for yourself.

For me the difference is worth the money. I alternate between Polsilvers and Med Preps and would be hard pressed to pick a favorite - although I get more shaves from the Meds.

A different angle is honed onto the Med Preps (from the Labs)
I'm not sure about that. I think you might find the discussion in this thread - I'm not sure - but many moons ago this question prompted a member to contact the manufacturer directly. The response indicated that the both blades went through the exact same process, with the Meds getting one additional final cleansing.

I know that should mean that there would be no noticeable difference between the two, but I'm a Med user myself. I don't know why, but the Labs just don't seem to work as well for me.

I'm not sure about that. I think you might find the discussion in this thread - I'm not sure - but many moons ago this question prompted a member to contact the manufacturer directly. The response indicated that the both blades went through the exact same process, with the Meds getting one additional final cleansing.

I know that should mean that there would be no noticeable difference between the two, but I'm a Med user myself. I don't know why, but the Labs just don't seem to work as well for me.

I find the blades to be comparable and, quite honestly, I can't tell them apart. However, I just got an order of 250 for the Meds from Robbins.

Quite honestly I think the top of the Personns line is the IP Reds. And the ones in the European pack - which aren't red BTW - are less expensive and come in a plastic carrier with a disposal slot instead of a cardboard tuck.

Over the last two days I used a med prep in a red tip and the following day I used a lab blue in the same razor. Kept all other shaving variables the same. I found that the lab blue caused more "general irritation" than the med prep. If I had to pick one based on this incredibly limited "experiment" I'd got with the med prep.

Having used the Med Preps for the past 2 weeks I must say they are sharper and smoother than the labs.....however I feel they went from great to not so much between shaves 3 and 4. The labs seem to deteriorate far less rapidly and last a shave or two longer.

I'm still using these Personna medical-prep blades from Robbins. Great shaves and last the week for me.
They are still my go to blade.

Bit2

PS. I can send a sample or two if needed. Send a PM.

Last edited:
I have been using Personas from Ted Pella. 20 blades in an injector for my Scicks. Similar results. $5.00 for 20 blades. Also got from them single blades for my Gems and Ever Ready. Good and cheap.

Each week, I randomly pop either a Lab (Comfort Coated) or a Prep into my razor. By mid-week I can no longer remember which one of the two it was. On occasion, I've opened up the razor after a week of spectacular shaves thinking, surely this must have been a Prep the whole time, only to find that it was a Lab.

I used to "feel" a difference between the two blades, but clearly when I forget which blade is in my razor, I no longer can tell a difference. This is a well-known phenomena in the fields of psychology and marketing that you can plant an idea into a consumer's mind and that idea can become a self-fulfilling prophecy. In other words, you tell yourself "There *MUST* be *SOME* difference that one can feel between these two blades," and so you take any difference in your shave at all, and attribute it to the blades itself.

Say one day your technique is off and you have a Lab in your razor. You may well blame the resulting nick on the blade. Say your technique is off and you have a Prep in your razor. You may well say that it must be your technique and not this high-priced luxury blade.

After blindly experimenting as I have described above, combined with what Personna themselves have claimed about the two blades (that they are identical save for a hospital-required sterilizing for the Prep), it does sound far fetched to call the Labs and Preps two significantly distinct blades.

(that they are identical save for a hospital-required sterilizing for the Prep), it does sound far fetched to call the Labs and Preps two significantly distinct blades.

It isn't even a sterilization. The blades aren't sterile packed. My understanding is that it's just a wash. Most likely to insure the debris level in the edge is mitigated.

A lot of folks put way more stock in the fact that they're produced on lines next to each other rather than the same line. But this is a very common industrial practice.

For an old example, think back to KodaChrome. At one point in time Kodak manufactured it in half a dozen plants world wide, and the box you bought in Kansas vs the box you bought in Amsterdam vs the box you bought in Rio de Janeiro were equivalent.

Why is it so difficult to conceive that two production lines under the same roof could make identical product? Especially if that's what the manufacturer claims.

Med preps are the blades which put an end to the whole debate for me. I do not want to shave with anything else other than an occasional persona red

This thread has the same longevity of the blade!
I tried six different blades before settling on the Med Preps. I am currently on shave #6 with one.
I want to try the Labs. My guess is that the only difference is that the Med Preps go through an additional QC for use in medical applications.

Top Bottom