What's new

7 Letter to Write .

From the Art of Manliness:

"7 Letters to Write Before You Turn 70"
http://www.artofmanliness.com/2014/06/19/7-letters-to-write-before-you-turn-70/

The opening paragraph:

"At AoM we’re great champions of.the lost art of letter writing. Emails, texting, and the wide variety of other digital mediums available to us in the modern age are convenient and efficient, but they can’t hold a candle to the warm, tangible, classy nature of handwritten correspondence. Letters are the next best thing to showing up personally at someone’s door."

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I've got 3 of the 7 knocked out already. 4 more to go and 40 years to write them. I better get crackin'

They are all equally important, but I've experienced #7 (Thank You note) several times. It really does feel good to be recognized for your effort and good deed. I'd rather have a letter or note sometime down the road than a face to face thank you.

One thank you note that really meant a lot to me was one I got from a past job. It might sound silly. I feel that to many employers don't appreciate the hard work of their associates. Or at least don't express thanks.
I was asked to work overnight to help with a project. It wasn't that big of a deal and we even finished a couple hours earlier than expected (probably cause I was on the team :tongue_sm). A few days later I got a card in the mail from the project manager thanking me for my efforts and help. Totally unexpected and it was the first time in my working career that I ever got a thank you note from an employer.

I got a thank you letter from a store one time when I purchased mattresses for our Daughters bunk bed. We payed a little bit more than we could have had at walmart or big retail store but the guy helped us load it in the truck and tied it down for us. It was nice to see the thank you letter a few days in the mailbox.
Probably didn't take much time out of the day for him but it made me feel appreciated that I spent my money there and not somewhere else.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I got a thank you letter from a store one time when I purchased mattresses for our Daughters bunk bed. We payed a little bit more than we could have had at walmart or big retail store but the guy helped us load it in the truck and tied it down for us. It was nice to see the thank you letter a few days in the mailbox.
Probably didn't take much time out of the day for him but it made me feel appreciated that I spent my money there and not somewhere else.
A thank you note doesn't take long, but it goes a long way to show appreciation. That little extra will probably ensure you will visit them for your next purchase.

I've gotten at least two jobs because I've sent a thank you note thanking them for the chance to interview and also for them taking the time to interview me... Thank you notes are important!

I wrote a letter of congratulation yesterday for a friend who landed his first job as an actual lawyer after some time doing work in a state other than where he passed the bar. It was an interesting experience...interesting mix of nostalgia (We have been friend for all of our lives) and quiet pride in a good friends accomplishment and how far he has come.

Some of the members I've dealt with, through the b/s/t or a PIF, will include a handwritten thank you note. That alone makes the transaction worth it. So, I've made it a goal to include one from myself whenever I deal with forum members.

Once I start using my own fountain pens will make it even better.

Top Bottom