What's new

The Pawn Stars Rick Harrison advertises One Razor by Micro Touch on TV

I just saw it a CVS for 19.99. I almost bought it just to try it out, but I can get a superspeed for that price. I think it is nice for people to get introduced to DE shaving but I wouldn't buy it.

I've used one. I'm not a fan, but I also don't care for the razor they copied the design from. It is pretty cool that there is a DE option in some big name B&M stores again now. Last time that was the case it was probably like 1990 or so, with the last couple of gillettes in a discount bin in the back.

This plus a Personna Red is my travel razor. If I forget it or inspectors forget to put it back in my checked bags (I've had some stuff go missing) I'm not out much.

Saw my first Micro Touch in the North. They sick them at Bed Bath and Beyond.
$uploadfromtaptalk1403204068117.jpg

Back in the 1970's when I began shaving it was using a DE that my dad gave me. A Wilkinson if memory serves correctly.(he had a spare) Sometime later I jumped to two bladed carts. (mid to late 1970's I suspect) Fast forward to March 2014, I saw the commercial in question and ordered it. I actually wondered why I had spent so much money on cartridges over the years. Shipped it was about $30 or so including 24 Dorco ST-300 blades. Are there better quality handles and blades out there? Probably. But this is a good way to get introduced. Decent quality and price.

Last edited:
Saw my first Micro Touch in the North. They sick them at Bed Bath and Beyond.
View attachment 463124

I bought one of them at Wally World last week so I could compare it to my Weishi.

If anyone has doubts this is a Weishi then get over it. Absolutely the only difference between this new Micro Touch One and my old Weishi is the soap scum.

So how is it? It shaves just like a Weishi, because it is a Weishi. I think $20 is bordering on "too expensive" for me, But at the prices Vintage Gillettes are fetching on eBay right now maybe this is the new normal.

Could I live with this as my only razor? Sure. It isn't the best razor in my stable, but it's a long ways from the worst. Anyone who's read many of my posts already knows I've been a Weishi defender for a long time.

I'd probably recommend that people ditch the Dorcos and find a local Indian Grocery that carries the Gillette Wilkinsons packaged for the India market.

Last edited:
I bought one of them at Wally World last week so I could compare it to my Weishi.

If anyone has doubts this is a Weishi then get over it. Absolutely the only difference between this new Micro Touch One and my old Weishi is the soap scum.

So how is it? It shaves just like a Weishi, because it is a Weishi. I think $20 is bordering on "too expensive" for me, But at the prices Vintage GIllettes are fetching on eBay right now maybe this is the new normal.

Could I live with this as my only razor? Sure. It isn't the best razor in my stable, but it's a ling ways from the worst. Anyone who's read many of my posts already knows I've been a Weishi defender for a long time.

I'd probably recommend that people ditch the Dorsos and find a local Indian Grocery that carries the Gillette Wilkinsons packaged for the India market.

I'd concur. Little high in price for what you are getting, but not ridiculously so once you add the convenience of just walking out of the store with it without having to spend time researching (if you are new to DE's). I'd call the RR/Cadet/Pearl/Etc line a bit better in quality for about the same price if you pay the shipping, and anyone that asks me about them after they see the ones in walmart or where, that is the direction I steer them in. I wouldn't call it total junk, but isn't my first option for entry level DE's, either.

I'd concur. Little high in price for what you are getting, but not ridiculously so once you add the convenience of just walking out of the store with it without having to spend time researching (if you are new to DE's). I'd call the RR/Cadet/Pearl/Etc line a bit better in quality for about the same price if you pay the shipping, and anyone that asks me about them after they see the ones in walmart or where, that is the direction I steer them in. I wouldn't call it total junk, but isn't my first option for entry level DE's, either.

I think that's a pretty good assessment.

I'm a bit disappointed in WalMart at dropping the Wilkinson DE blades from their shaving section. I can understand how the Micro Touch guys landed on the Dorcos, but in my local Wally World it's now $8 for a 12 pack of "Micro Touch" blades, that still have a Dorco ST300 label on them under the Micro Touch filler. That's $0.67/ea.

Even had Walmart raised the price of the German Wilkinson's to $3.50 up from $1.75 per ten pack that's still a better deal for a better blade.

Overall it's not as bad as one place I flew in, and bought a package of store branded Dorcos for $8 for a five pack. That gagged me. I'm not trying to slam Dorcos. They are an "adequate" blade so far as I am concerned, exactly like a Chevy Nova is an "adequate" commuter vehicle. Does a satisfactory job, but isn't worth a premium price.

I'd concur. Little high in price for what you are getting, but not ridiculously so once you add the convenience of just walking out of the store with it without having to spend time researching (if you are new to DE's).

Not to mention no paying for shipping, no ordering online and waiting, it's just sitting there waiting for you when you go to buy hot dog buns.

Despite weekly threads about it, it didn't show up in my Walmart until just before Father's Day. Wife saw it and said I should buy it. Who am I to refuse? I've shaved with it a few times now. It's decent.

I've shaved with it a few times now. It's decent.

That's what I've been saying about Weishis for a long time. Are they stupendously awesome? Nah; nothing to write home about. But it's perfectly adequate. I carry one traveling, and while I don't want TSA to steal it, if they do I won't cry.

After far too many years of shelling out far too much money for multi-blade carts, it was this ad that prompted me to try a DE razor again. Is it a great shave.......not in my opinion. But it did lead me to this forum, and a Weber, an ATT, an EJ Chatsworth, and a Muhle. Oh, and the Dorco blades the "Rick Razor" came with lead to trying a host of different blades, which ended with my two current favorites, Kai and Feather. Oh, and a couple of really nice brushes with a host of soaps. So all in all this commercial took a mundane task I dreaded, to a facial experience I actually enjoy. Good job Mr. Harris. :001_rolle

I was in Target today here in Louisville, and finally found the Micro Touch One razor for sale in the As Seen on TV section. First time I've seen them in any of the stores here that I frequent. $19.99 for the razor, chrome stand, and twelve blades. I thought buying one might show support for the growing number of us that prefer DE shaving to multiple blade monstrosities and perhaps help send a message to Gillette and other companies that there is a market for the old safety razors. It'll never replace my vintage razors, but it's still worth having in that regard.

My Meijer store has them in the cooking gear section. Why the As Seen on TV stuff is there is an enigma. Or a riddle wrapped in a muffin or something. I may get a second for the stand and to keep sales active.

My Meijer store has them in the cooking gear section.
People really don't know much about DE razors today if store clerks think it looks like a device for finely shaving cheese or garlic cloves or something. Anybody tried peeling potatoes with one?

People really don't know much about DE razors today if store clerks think it looks like a device for finely shaving cheese or garlic cloves or something. Anybody tried peeling potatoes with one?
Yeah, it depends on the potato though. The russets like the feather blades with an aggressive razor whereas the reds and the gold potatoes like derby extras with a mild razor..the produce manager at the grocery store said your potatoes mileage may vary :D

Yeah, it depends on the potato though. The russets like the feather blades with an aggressive razor whereas the reds and the gold potatoes like derby extras with a mild razor..the produce manager at the grocery store said your potatoes mileage may vary :D

I think you'll find that with adequate prep and plenty of practice you can peel any potato down to BBS with any razor and any blade. It's all about technique. It also helps to do it in the shower.
proxy.php

Top Bottom