What's new

1949 Gillette Executive - Mint Set

I saw how this became available on the ebay and I jumped on it. I think I am experiencing full blown RAD right now. So maybe this will cure me for a bit. The set seems to be mint condition. The mirror is a bit compromised (see the "glue" circle). Any other Gillette Executive owners please post to tell me how I did. Thanks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281365922613?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

$1949GilletteExecutive1.jpg$1949GilletteExecutive2.jpg$1949GilletteExecutive3.jpg$1949GilletteExecutive4.jpg

I saw that listing also and it sure looks nice and as close to mint as you can get. I just picked up a similar set in a trade for a # 16 gold Aristocrat and a 34-36 OC Aristocrat so your price is in the same neighborhood.
Enjoy!

I saw that listing also and it sure looks nice and as close to mint as you can get. I just picked up a similar set in a trade for a # 16 gold Aristocrat and a 34-36 OC Aristocrat so your price is in the same neighborhood.
Enjoy!

Thanks I'm doing my part in pumping up the prices of collectable American Gillettes. Everybody holding should be happy. :001_smile

Glen,
Another fantastic find! This imho of all the Gillette sets is the most handsomely presented. Not very useful for travel but makes for a beautiful display. You did gooooood!:001_cool:

I just took a look at mine and noticed the same spotting on the mirror. It looks like the mirror has tiny crimp holders to keep it in place. If one wanted to take the chance, you could remove the mirror and get a replacement new one. I'm not sure I'm brave enough. Why don't YOU try it and let me know how it works?

I just took a look at mine and noticed the same spotting on the mirror. It looks like the mirror has tiny crimp holders to keep it in place. If one wanted to take the chance, you could remove the mirror and get a replacement new one. I'm not sure I'm brave enough. Why don't YOU try it and let me know how it works?

LOL. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to store the set to keep it so mint for the long haul. The "ring" on the mirror just gives the set character. I think I'll just leave it alone thank you very much. :001_smile

Glen,
Another fantastic find! This imho of all the Gillette sets is the most handsomely presented. Not very useful for travel but makes for a beautiful display. You did gooooood!:001_cool:

Thanks for the feedback Brandon. I too believe it is one of the best sets. Thanks again! :001_smile

I just found a picture of a NOS set. The differences are the addition of the tissue paper protective sheet, the tab showing where the spare blades are behind the mirror, and the cellophane wrap on the primary blade pack. Also notice the mirror deformity exists.

$1949GilletteExecutiveNOS.jpg

Gln,
I'm not 100% sure the padded paper comes with that. I may be wrong but going by the recent sale of the lady selling all six cased Executive sets with shipper and not one had that padded paper. Mine didn't either. Everything else about it is correct though.

For something that rare I think you did well. I have one and it's in my two top American razors of all time. IMHO I think that a set like this is just as rare as a nickel toggle and side by side it looks as good if not better. I would imagine that if things go the way they are in the vintage razor market the price will double if not triple on an executive in this condition. A rare find for sure.

That's one awesome set. Congrats on the score.

For something that rare I think you did well. I have one and it's in my two top American razors of all time. IMHO I think that a set like this is just as rare as a nickel toggle and side by side it looks as good if not better. I would imagine that if things go the way they are in the vintage razor market the price will double if not triple on an executive in this condition. A rare find for sure.

Glenconti, that is one sweet set. Congratulations!

Thanks guys! Finding those 6 NOS sets in a garage sale was the find of the century. It's almost a shame they were broken up LOL.

Nice score. I made an offer on it, but it must not have been as good as yours. Congrats!

I knew I was behind so I sucked it up and paid the BIN price to jump ahead of you. I guess I over paid by $50 - $85 doing it that way but I'm going to hold it.

Awesome find. I saw that one as well and almost pulled the trigger. The mirror flaw turned me off though. Looks like that is what they all look like so my bad. Congrats on a beautiful purchase. My consolation was a sweet and shiny 1910 abc gunmetal shell set w/ a gold shell razor. Still kind of jealous of the ostrich. Enjoy it.

Top Bottom