What's new

They Call Me Tater Salad

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Summers here so I went through some of my mom's recipes she gave us. Found her recipe for tater salad. She wrote it by hand and there were little extra notes in the margin, etc. Anyway, we made it...we ate it and the tears came unexpectedly for both me and my wife. She died two years ago...but eating it was like she was talking to me. I am proud to share her recipe. It goes like this:

6 taters
4 hard boiled eggs
1 jar of Heinz India Relish drained(very hard to find, Amazon has it.).
1 cup of diced celery
1/2 to 1 small onion(optional)
2 teaspoons brown mustard
1 cup of Miracle Whip
Celery seed(she also put a little in the pot with the taters as they cooked)
S&P to taste
Adjust amounts of each above to your liking.

What tater salad recipe did your mom make?

Last edited:
Love the thread title ... :lol:

I don't actually have a tater salad recipe. My ex-MIL made some killer potato salad though ... one of the few things I miss ;)

My GF's dad makes an amazing hot German potato salad, but I don't have that recipe either.

I want to try to make some smoked potato salad though.

I enjoy the great luck of having a mother from South Alabama and a Mother-in-Law from Germany; they both have delicious and unique potato salad recipes that they have passed on to my wife who love to cook, even when her health says she be taking easy and letting me fend for myself. In other words, I kind of have great tater salad existence.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Love the thread title ... :lol:

I don't actually have a tater salad recipe. My ex-MIL made some killer potato salad though ... one of the few things I miss ;)

My GF's dad makes an amazing hot German potato salad, but I don't have that recipe either.

I want to try to make some smoked potato salad though.
You need to get that German potato salad recipe. Nothing better than a good GPS.

6 Red Irish Taters Boiled and ruff cubed
2 oz of Bacon Bits
2 Hard boiled eggs
1 teaspoon of spicy Brown Mustard
2 teaspoons of regular yellow Mustard
Helmans to it feels right.
Smoked Paprika to sprinkle over the top

Thanks for sharing:thumbup1:...I enjoy trying different tater salads...off to look up India Relish; that's a new one to me.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Thanks for sharing:thumbup1:...I enjoy trying different tater salads...off to look up India Relish; that's a new one to me.

You noticed that? Yea, they stopped carrying that in the super markets here in Texas back in the 90's. I ordered a case from a deli in New York through Amazon. My mother flipped when it was shipped to her address. It's a sweet and sour relish with pimento's.

2 oz of Bacon Bits
2 Hard boiled eggs

Sounds about like his recipe ... though his seems a bit sweeter so I'd guess there's some sugar involved somewhere

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
2 oz of Bacon Bits
2 Hard boiled eggs

Oh yeah, the smoked paprika.:thumbup:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
10-4 on that. I live in Central Texas and we have a lot of Germany communities in the surrounding area. I love the German Potato salad, but I've never made it. I think it is a pretty simple recipe though.
Have you gone to Der Lindenbaum in Fredericksburg? They have the best sauerbraten I have ever had. I love the Hill Country.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Have you gone to Der Lindenbaum in Fredericksburg? They have the best sauerbraten I have ever had. I love the Hill Country.

I know exactly where it is and no I have not gone there. But I have gone to some of the other German restaurants in that town. I'll check it out the next time we are there, which is pretty often.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"

Do you now why the Germans settled in this area originally? They saw all the moss in the oak trees and thought it was sauerkraut.:laugh:

By the way, I'm German...sort of.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I know exactly where it is and no I have not gone there. But I have gone to some of the other German restaurants in that town. I'll check it out the next time we are there, which is pretty often.

She does a raisin sauce on the Sauerbraten that I really like. It goes well with a Spaten Optimater. I make F-burg several times a year. I stay at a place called Daydream Cabins about 5 miles north of town. I used to stay about 15 miles out at a place called 3J ranch, but after her husband died she sold the place. Talk about a dark sky- I could sit out and watch stars all night.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I don't know the recipe but the deli at work often has this killer cajun potato salad made with red potatoes boiled in seafood boil and it's spicy hot. Love that stuff!

Top Bottom