What's new

Cut a Tomo off my Shuobudani?

Quick View
I got a ~ 6" x2" Shuobudani type 100 from JNS. I lapped it on the bottom so as to save the stamps just for the heck of it. I have a corner I cut off of my Oozuku from Fendrihan (because it was chipped) that I use as a Tomo Nagura and really like it. I have Tanba and Umegahata Honyama naguras I got from metalmaster that I use in progression and the Tomo makes a nice final polish on a blade.
My question is, since I only use about 5" of a hone anyway, should I cut 1/2" or 3/4" off of this Shuobudani for a Tomo? It's real tempting to do so.

Since YMMV, WWJMBD? (What Would John Moses Browning Do?)

Last edited:
It's interesting to have a piece of your Honzan as a Tomo, but it's not neccessarily going to improve anything.
It might - it might not. I've always had better results using a different piece of stone.
These stones are hard - but they are shale - they can suprise you when/if you cut one; they can split, fissure, etc.
So be prepared for that. You can cut 20 with no issue, then have one just fall apart after the blade is 1/4 of the way in.

I usually cut off a bit for a tomo but I like my stones small... I would cut off as little as possible maybe even 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch and would use a hacksaw carbide round blade ... It looks like a tube /rough pipe with eye holes on each end.. which was really confusing to me not a flat serrated metal piece like a regular hacksaw... Use little pressure and let the carbide do the work

I'm debating cutting that jnat I just got. There about an inch along one side that tapers down that's not useful but I I think I could get about a 5x1 slurry stone out of it. Was debating wheat her a little cheap wet saw I have would be the best way to cut it.

I usually cut off a bit for a tomo but I like my stones small... I would cut off as little as possible maybe even 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch and would use a hacksaw carbide round blade ... It looks like a tube /rough pipe with eye holes on each end.. which was really confusing to me not a flat serrated metal piece like a regular hacksaw... Use little pressure and let the carbide do the work

What do you think? The dark strip on the bottom? Rip it off and cut into two slurry stones? $ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401493557.191493.jpg

Wouldn't you have to lap off all the Kawa off the slurry stone? Don't want that stuff in your slurry. I'd hate to see that pretty stone fall apart, but if you think it's stable, and really want to, go for it!

This is what the Oozuku looked like at first
$140501_0004.jpg

$140501_0000.jpg
And this is what I ended up with
$140510_0004.jpg
I'm really liking the results on this stone, but because there is a fissure in the Shuobudani (a piece flaked off while lapping) on the end I wanna cut, I think I may listen closely to Gamma's advice. I may just wait to see if aframes gets some more shobu nagura in stock anytime soon.

Been using a carbide blade for a while - they're the best choice I think.
Even so - if the stone has a hidden flaw,,,,, poof.

I cut stones all the time, have been for a while. Occasionally - one goes south. Thats just the way it is.

Because mine is only about 1/2" thick, I'm considering mounting it to a piece of 1/4" glass. (show off that stamp I saved, lol) Any recommendations on what adhesive to use? CA, epoxy or clear silicone?

Been using a carbide blade for a while - they're the best choice I think.
Even so - if the stone has a hidden flaw,,,,, poof.

I cut stones all the time, have been for a while. Occasionally - one goes south. Thats just the way it is.

That is what scares me, losing my 100$ stone. (before I even get to know it good)

I've cut many Jnats and Nagura, It usually works out fine.
I'm only trying to say that.... sometimes it doesn't.

Top Bottom