What's new

Shaving in the Summertime

I break out the QCS Iced Key Lime and Osage Rub for cold water shaves after hot summer morning runs. Sometimes I'll even get a fan going in the bathroom. Fewer things are worse than sweat running through your lather or dripping into the razor pivot.

I am totally a seasonal guy. I have certain soaps and aftershaves that I use mostly during different seasons. So, in the fall I put away my Proraso/Bigelow creams, Aqua Velva Blue and definitely the Osage Rub. In late spring when the temps start getting near 80 I break out all the cooling and freezing products and get ready to chill out after summer shaves.

I keep using the CO Bigelow during the summer. I use much cooler water though from the shower all the way through the end of the shave. This summer, I'm thinking of trying a cool, refreshing aftershave instead of the alum block. Any recommendations?

If you're looking for menthol, Skin Bracer or Aqua Velva are drugstore standards. If you're poking around online, Krampert's Frostbite is serious mentholation. Florida Water is a good budget option. And Speick is good no matter what the season.

Last summer I was still very much "figuring it out" and using a ton of different products with no rhyme or reason, so I never really settled into a "summer routine". This time might be a little different, but I'm not the biggest menthol fan and prefer earthy/herbal scents which aren't really season-specific, so I'll mostly stick with the software I've been using lately (Speick, MW Adirondack Jack, PdP cream & ASB, Proraso, Myrsol Agua Balsamica). The Skin Bracer and Clubman will probably start getting used a little more often too.

I think I'll try cold water shaving though...if only to save on utilities. It never gets REALLY cold here in the northwest, so maybe it could be something that sticks in my routine.

I'm not a huge fan of "frozen face", so I turn to citrus or light floral scents. Proraso Green and Stirling MITA is about the extent of my menthol lather, and I'll use splashes with a bit of menthol in them: Aqua Velva, Fine AB. I like B&M Lime/Lavender/Cedarwood for a good summer lather scent, and I'll be using Stirlings new Padre Island this summer. For non-menthol splashes I like Clubman Lime Sec and VIBR, and even have a little decant with a 50/50 mix of the two - really smells great.

Are You a Man of Menthol?

proxy.php

With summer upon us, our thoughts turn to staying cool. What are some products you turn to in the summer months? Is there anything you do differently in your shaving routine? Please come and share your tips and tricks for staying cool.

I definitely prefer aftershaves with menthol to cool off my face. I also have menthol I can add to the shave soap. The camphor odor some of them have wear off after applying so that's not a concern.

What I can't stand in the summer are the aftershaves that leave my face feeling sticky because I live in such a humid area.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I keep using the CO Bigelow during the summer. I use much cooler water though from the shower all the way through the end of the shave. This summer, I'm thinking of trying a cool, refreshing aftershave instead of the alum block. Any recommendations?

Florida Water is good for summer. You splash it on and it transports you to Jamaica mon.

The standards like Aqua Velva and Skin Bracer are good, as is Floid.
Osage rub is a real face freezer, it's just too bad that it smells like Vicks Vapo-Rub!

I'm old enough now that if I wear Osage Rub, people don't ask "what's that fragrance you're wearing?" they ask "Did you throw your hip out?"

This from a guy who likes the Veg!

I like the Rub and Alcolado Glacial but use it year round in sunny FL.

In summer I will switch to using cool water instead of warm.

Other than that, I use the same products all year round, though I do lean to the lime/citrus more in summer for my final scent (EDC)

I usually stick with florals and citrus for my summer soaps. For aftershaves, DR Harris' Arlington and Windsor, Floid Blue, and Floid Vigoroso get the most love.

Doesn't really get hot enough here to warrant much menthol so when it is warm and sunny shaving is the last thing on my mind

Dislike menthol and not very keen on citrus. Do enjoy 4711 an Florida Water occasionally. Turn to lavender in the summer. Really want my shaves to be warm.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I am exceedingly unhappy about menthol and use it not at all.

I don't change anything about my shaves in summer - including hot scuttle.

I do change some of my colognes.

Top Bottom