What's new

Can I switch to DE after 25 years with an electric? One man's dilemma

Greetings, kind and gentle shaving enthusiasts!

My name is Todd, and if you don't mind, I'd like to tell you about my shaving habits and how I'm considering a change. I welcome your thoughts and comments on my story. I shall make my first B&B post my own narrative.

I'm 45, and aside from a few experiments in high school with a disposable razor and goop in a can, I've always been an electric shaver. Rotary Norelco early on, but a Braun foil since college.

My current Braun is several years old. It's probably due for a new cutter block again. The foil has been replaced at least once (after it tore a little bit without me noticing right away and cut the heck out of me one day). The pop-up trimmer thing broke off a couple years ago. In fact, it's probably due to be replaced altogether...

except I've developed this notion that I should explore the world of DE wetshaving. I've been reading and enjoying lots of information online on the matter. Within two minutes of Googling the whole concept, I found myself watching Mantic59 videos. Intriguing.

To use the forum vernacular, I certainly get an SAS (socially acceptable shave). Why change? Is my process broken? Well, not really. Probably not. But I keep finding myself in the mood for something a little different. Right now, I do nothing special to my face. It gets washed like the rest of me in the shower with a typical body wash. For 20 years before that, I used plain old unscented Dove bar soap. My shaving involves literally zero prep time. I also don't use any talcs or aftershaves. I usually shave after showering, but sometimes before, and sometimes not related to a shower at all.

It seems to take so many passes to shave with the Braun. Pick any postage stamp-sized spot on my face, and I know I pass the Braun over it 15-20 times in the course of my zig-zagging and swirling around. Sure, it only take about 3.5 minutes for the whole exercise, but it ultimately leaves me dissatisfied lately. Especially on my neck. The neck never fully passes my smoothness test, but I call it "good enough" and move on for the day.

Updating the Braun would probably put me into one of the models with the alcohol cleaning solution base station charger thing. That seems a bit much. I don't really want a Cuisinart on my bathroom counter. And though I haven't researched it much, given the interest in DE stuff instead, that cleaning solution sounds expensive, too.

I generally shave daily, and I rarely go 48 hours without shaving. It's just too much work with the Braun if I let it go even that long. In fact, I've only gone beyond three days just one time in my adult life that I can think of, when I managed to get to ten days' growth before it drove me nuts with the prickliness and sensation of extra skin oils. This was 15 years ago.

These days, I'm sure it would be pretty much salt & pepper. I suppose I have a medium growth rate, and light/medium density and hair "toughness." I guess I don't know for sure, given how I've never really grown it out much, and I'm not exactly touching other guys' beards for comparison.

I have very little problem with razor burn or ingrowns. About the only time I might irritate my neck is if I've just changed the cutter bar, but I barely do that once a year.

I think it would be a big adjustment for me to take the additional time in the morning to implement a full wetshave routine. However, so many of you make it sound worthwhile. My stepdad used a mug/brush/DE when I was a kid, but it wasn't something we really discussed or "passed down" to me. He never seemed to complain about shaving, though.

I'm willing to buy some gear and give it a go (in fact, I think I have a proper collection of items picked out at West Coast Shaving), but I don't want to break what isn't broken just to get a little more performance and satisfaction. I dread my wife pulling the "I told you so" card if it doesn't work out. I don't want to start having problems with nicks, burn, or ingrowns. It would be a big change to put things on my face before, during, and after shaving, suddenly using all these products just to get ready in the morning when I used none before. I don't like greasy sensations like hand lotions produce, and wouldn't want my face to feel like that when I'm done with a new method. Those things are surely good for my skin, but to date I've just never bothered. The idea of working up a rich lather and gentle, deliberate shaving sounds pretty cool. The hardware just looks cool.

I have a young son and daughter...I even find myself considering the sentimental value of having them associate a particular scent or fragrance with "Dad's face" when I give them a hug or something. I can still conjure the smell of that mug soap my stepdad used, or even the Edge menthol gel my dad used back in the day.

But is it to be? Sorry to ramble on so much, but I felt like giving a full account of my perspective. Thanks for reading.

I started shaving this way after using Braun and Panasonic electrics for years. I find the shaves this way (safety razors, double or single edge) to be superior to electrics and equal or superior to cartridges. No razor burn, no irritation, and a much closer shave on my neck.

The thing I didn't count on was how much I would enjoy shaving this way. I see my morning shave now as "relaxing, fun spa time for me" instead of a chore. If I could transform toothbrushing or other chores this way, I certainly would! Fountain pens are also recommended.

I'd get a starter kit from Gary's Sample Shop - a vintage razor, boar brush, blades, and some samples for $35. Akro is an excellent soap, but for scent purposes I'd get the Cella. Arko has a "industrial lemon cleanser" scent that is off-putting to some.

Once you get used to shaving with minimal pressure/attention to the cutting angle, I think that you'll be very pleasantly surprised.

By far, the biggest danger is in spending money on razors/blades/soaps/creams/aftershaves as shaving changes from a chore/necessity to a hobby and pastime. I don't regret it until I look at my credit card bill! And not too much, even then. :laugh:

Welcome, and enjoy!

Welcome Aboard: Many B&B members shave in the evening. Once you hone your D.E. Shaving routine it doesn't take a lot of time. A one shave pass can be completed in a very short time frame. Save the pampering and BBS shaves for the weekends. Keep us informed of your progress. Good Luck

Welcome to B&B. Transitioning from electric to DE shouldn't take too much more time than going from carts to DE but you will probably need a couple weeks to train your beard to grow back towards it's natural grain. Keep us informed on your progress.

Welcome to B&B!!!

I think most of us liked the idea and coolness factor associated with this type of shaving, when we first decided to give it a try. Shaving turned from a chore to something much different. I encourage you to give it a try. Understand that there is a learning curve to this kind of shaving and you might get worse shaves in the beginning but once you get over the hump you might find the bliss most of us find with the hobby.

Ask any questions you have, we're here to help. Also if you get a chance, stop by the Hall of Fame and tell us a little bit about yourself. ( link is in my sig below )

Welcome to B&B

Traditional wet shaving is a learned "technique" It's something that is not difficult to learn but it does take time before you are getting close comfortable shaves time after time.

Give it a go. It is inexpensive to get started but once hooked there is no bottom to the rabbit hole (be aware of this)

Drop into the Shave Wiki and read over some of the shaving articles. http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/ You will find a LOT of useful info in there.

If you have not already done so, stop into the Hall of Fame and tell everyone a little about yourself

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forumdisplay.php/30-Hall-of-Fame

...But is it to be? Sorry to ramble on so much, but I felt like giving a full account of my perspective. Thanks for reading.
I shaved with an electric razor for 30+ years. There was a bit of an adjustment but the results are well worth the additional time spent.

(Yes, I'm the guy with the videos) :001_smile

Weclome! It sounds to me like you really want to give DE shaving a try and I say "go for it"! You'll need to alot some additional time for the routine and, if you like it, you probably won't really save any money, but I can't imagine going back to shaving with cartridge or electric. I really enjoy the routine and it really does make me feel good about myself. There are a lot of good aftershave balms that are not greasy feeling, but you can even go with an aftershave splash (that is all I use). It's refreshing, makes your skin feel nice, and smells great! In the end, whatever works best for you is what you should do, but I would definitely recommend giving this a try. Best of luck!

Welcome to the club. Glad to have you aboard, Todd. It's never too late to come in from the cold, and once you develop your technique, I'm sure you will like traditional shaving.

Thanks for the welcome and encouragement, gentlemen. You're pushing me even closer than when I wrote all that. At least you're not telling me it's a one-way trip where I would mess up my current endurance/tolerance for the Braun if I needed to come back to it.

And I have a reply from Mantic himself, whom I didn't realize was a "reformed" electric shaver? That seems like a good sign. :thumbup1:

Items sitting in my West Coast Shaving shopping cart (away from that computer right now) if memory serves:

Merkur 34C (big hands, though...maybe I need the longer version?)
one of the larger blade assortment packs...of course, I'll start with the Feathers (just kidding)
Simpson Colonel X2L Best Badger Shaving Brush (I'm probably pushing it buying one at this $64 price point, but I guess I want something better than the most basic while still sane enough to avoid a true premium one)
Proraso Pre & Post Cream, Menthol & Eucalyptus
Proraso Shaving Cream, Sandalwood
Thayer's Witch Hazel (one of the alcohol-free ones)
alum bar
Ogallala Bay Rum Shaving Soap
Col Conk Shaving Soap, Lime
an after shave that escapes me now
gauze
tourniquets
okay, I made those last two up

I figured I would try cream and soap for the sake of comparing them. I already bought a big espresso mug for lather use. Even picked up a Wiliams Mug Shaving Soap at the grocery because the scent was familiar to me and it was so cheap.

Headlong in the nutshell.....you are me.
Pretty much spot on as I could have written that first post myself.

I'm 45 aside from the occasional flirtation with carts once or twice I've been dragging an electric(same razors you use) over my face since high school. I got OK shaves and really never thought much about it like most I'm a busy guy and shaving never really crossed my mind much. I noticed as I got older the skin on my face and neck where I shave just didn't look healthy. No ingrowns or razor burn just dull, and slightly darker in appearance that the rest of my face.

I needed a new razor and was doing research when a friend was talking about how much he enjoys DE shaving and I just had to try. The first mo I spent learning how not to shave then things started to click and I got hooked.

I got sucked in about 3 mos ago and don't see going back.

My face looks and feels better.
I'm an evening shaver and I look forward to shaving instead of dreading it.
I've spend more money than I would have thought but not a ton.....wife doesn't "get it" but she dosen't get most things I get into.

Do your research and get decent razor and brush. I suggest Whipped dog for the brush great band for you buck brush.

You seem to be spending a lot of time weighing up the pros and cons regarding this decision.

The fact is that you can go down to the supermarket, buy a packet of Schick Extreme 3 disposables or a Gillette Fusion, and some shave cream for under $20 and be wet cartridge shaving tomorrow.

Or you can buy a Merkur or Jagger closed comb razor, some cream, and a sample pack of different blades, and be wet DE Shaving in a week or two for under $100.

Or you can do both, and see which you like better - one of them or electric. And which one gives you the closer shave. And which gives you the closest shave without aggravation.

The amounts involved are fairly small and immaterial. I'm pretty sure your wife would have wasted more money than that on a pair of shoes or handbag that she decided she really didn't like that much after all, or on an outfit that she suddenly doesn't fit into any more.

Regards,
Renato

Last edited:
The cartridge stuff just doesn't appeal to me. I probably should sample that as well, but the appeal just isn't there.

The DE method seems more classic, more civilized, more good shaving for the sake of good shaving.

I'm willing to spend as much as a good electric on DE stuff, knowing that the consumables should be relatively tame after that. Gear acquisition binges notwithstanding.

My wife already puts up with my photography habit, but at least we do freelance work that puts that equipment to paying use.

No ingrowns or razor burn just dull, and slightly darker in appearance that the rest of my face.

Yes! I observe a bit of that, too.

The evening shave, as a couple of you have mentioned, seems like the way to go, at least initially. I would need to get my game up before this becomes a feasible morning task.

I too have felt your pain of electric noise and in grown hairs to boot, but the transition to wet DE shaving is one that you will never regret, purely from comfort alone. It takes a chore off your list and adds a pleasure.

Yes sure there is the adjustment you need to make in developing a technique but that what a new art takes, it too is part of the please in knowing which way your facial hair grows and then like playing sport it's great to win and be rewarded with the smoothest shave you will ever experience.

Enjoy the journey...it's well worth it

Yes! I observe a bit of that, too.

The evening shave, as a couple of you have mentioned, seems like the way to go, at least initially. I would need to get my game up before this becomes a feasible morning task.

Very wise move there.

All it will take is that first really good shave and you"l be hooked.

It may take a bit longer for your skin to adjust coming from electric. Many come over from carts and their face is already accustomed to having a blade going across their face. Take your time and expect to have some trouble at first it will be worth it in the end. It took me a good month before I had a few good shaves in a row. 3 mo's in and I have way more good shaves than bad but still goof up about once a week with a not so great shave but I think I learn more from a bad shave than from a good one.

First, welcome to B&B.

I know some men who were in the same boat as you.

For example, a few months ago I was showing a neighbor some sliding drawers I put in my bathroom. He observed my DE and SE razors, brushes, soaps, creams, etc. and asked me about it. He is close to 70 years old and said he has been using an electric most of his life. He said his shave was just OK and by 3:00 p.m. it looked like he needed to shave again. He also said the constant going over the same areas - as you do - resulted in irritation. He said he was "afraid" to try a DE. I lent him one of my milder razors, fixed it up with a blade and showed him what he should be doing. I emphasized to him the no pressure rule and showed him the correct angle to hold the razor. I gave him some links from B&B to look at - and he did. He decided to buy some canned shaving cream to see if he liked shaving with a DE. Last month he returned the razor. At first I thought he has given up. However, he went to the AoS store in Tampa and bought some soap and cream. He had ordered a brush, blades, and DE previously. He has been using his new razor and equipment for one month plus and said he would never go back. He is now up North for the summer and he joined B&B about a month ago.

It takes a little time and practice to get your technique down right. However, traditional shaving is efficient and quite honestly fun to master.

Welcome! Enjoy the adventure. You will find the scents, the face feel and the quality is shaves superior to anything you are used to, and will be wondering why you did not switch years ago.

I'm 45 also, but for most of my life I've been a cartridge shaver. I did use an electric for a couple of years when I first started shaving, then made one or two quickly abandoned attempts to go back over the years. Unlike some guys, I've never really had any problem with the performance of the cartridge razors. I've had fantastic shaves with Mach 3's, Fusion, whatever the latest and greatest was, in particular when I took a few extra minutes to try and do it right. The problem I had was that anytime I had to buy a new pack of cartridges, I just felt ripped off, even though it's not like I was spending a ton of money on them. Being a 2-3 times a week shaver, an 8 pack of cartridges would last me a year with no trouble. But after doing that for so long, I just wanted something different. So a few months ago, I made the switch. As it stands, I couldn't be happier. I'm still working of my technique and all that, so I can't say that I'm getting shaves that are all that much closer than cartridge shaves. The difference lies in the ritual. For the first time in my life, I really look forward to shaving. I feel like I'm taking part in one of those manly traditions handed down over the decades. It's a hobby that serves a purpose. I'm an evening shaver, and by the time it starts getting dark, I'm trying to decide which scent of soap I'll use. Or maybe a cream. It takes a little longer, it's a little messier, for me the shaves aren't that much closer, but the experience is far superior. And once I got the hang of it a bit, the way my face started feeling post-shave was spectacular. Like you, I don't like to have that greasy feeling that some products leave you with, so I don't put anything on my face before or after. I wet my face and let everything soften up, lather up with some Mystic Water soap, and let it rip. Afterwards my face feels fantastic. Nobody can tell you what you should do, but for me, I wish I had made the switch years ago.

That's impressive, seeing a 70-year-old guy jump into a new routine like that. Obviously he loved the difference despite so many years of an established method.

It would be cool if I could eventually get my wife on board with enjoying the scents and offering an opinion on them. Never been an after shave guy, and I wear cologne about twice a year, so that will be a new thing for her to potentially pick up on.

Sounds like I will have a decent chance of having no more visible shadow at 5pm from a DE shave the previous evening than I do with a 7am Braun shave.

I think I will avoid the Merkur blades. Those seem to be panned a bit around here.

Top Bottom