What's new

Fili love what makes it so good!

Except the Sagrada Famillia limited edition.

The rumor is only 2 were ever made.

I'd hate to come off as a skeptic, but do you have a source for that information or perhaps you can show us closeups of unique identifying marks? I'm wondering if there is a distinguishing stamp, etching, or a very close view of the spine work (to see if the patina matches the rest). The scales look like generic Thiers Issard brand and the file work could have been an afterthought.

Also, I'd like to clarify something about razor sizing that I didn't include in my previous long post. Large Spanish razors marked "14" were 7/8", not 8/8" (and 13s were 6/8, accordingly). We very frequently see people commenting along the lines of "it's a 14, which is supposedly 7/8, but it measures closer to 15/16 or even 8/8!".The problem is that people are not taking into consideration the measuring conventions of times past.

In modern times, people typically measure from the very top of the spine to the edge, makes sense, right? The discrepancy here is that 'vintage' razor manufacturers (in Spain, at least) measured from the beginning of the spine wear, i.e., the top of where the spine made contact to the hone. Measuring from this area, where the razor's hollowing begins, does not include the 'bubble' of the spine's height in the overall razor width. Performing the measurement in this fashion will negate as much as 1/8" of width in many cases with the larger blades.

$sizing.png

I offer the following corroboration:

$display-caja-de-carton-para-navajas-afeitar-filarmonica-13-6266-MLA65981798_6782-O.jpg

$14.jpg

$juan_vollmer_palmera14_04.jpg

1) those look like 'shenanigans' at play, especially given the size.

2) I think everyone agrees with the old vs new sizing techniques.

Those two are my aftermarket mods on old, beat up Fillis.

If anybody would like to send me their shiny, pristine 14's, I'd be happy to mod them up as well...:w00t:

*crickets*

Is there an emote for "horrified?" You're not getting close to my Filis mister!!

But I do like what you do with Gold Dollars!

Last edited:
It's quite feasible that he made this razor though as a special homage to the late great Spanish architect Antoni Gaudi, who after all they worked out of the same city of Barcelona and produce some of the most spectacular buildings and architecture, If anyone has seen the Sagrada Famillia or any of his work then the razor really does have a Gaudi look about there's no doubting that.

It's quite feasible that he made this razor though as a special homage to the late great Spanish architect Antoni Gaudi, who after all they worked out of the same city of Barcelona and produce some of the most spectacular buildings and architecture, If anyone has seen the Sagrada Famillia or any of his work then the razor really does have a Gaudi look about there's no doubting that.

That is the kindest compliment I've ever received! :thumbup:

Thank you!

Sorry to revive this thread, but is it possible to find an original Filarmonica with a plain clean blade, that is, without any wash or stamp on the blade? Or it must have been polished?
Thanks

Last edited:
Sorry to revive this thread, but is it possible to find an original Filarmonica with a plain clean blade, that is, without any wash or stamp on the blade? Or it must have been polished?
Thanks

I'm pretty sure that some were made with no wash and no engraving on the blade - just the identifying marks on the tang.

I answer not as a Fili expert, but just because I have a 14 that I'm pretty certain has never had either.

Thanks
Every Filarmónica I've ever seen originally had gold etching on the face.

Thanks
I just got one that might be.
Reason I say might is that it looks like a Filarmonica blank. No marking whatsoever. Nothing on blade, nor tang. Same shape and size though.
So it might be a Filarmonica blank, I have seen some sold rebranded by French cutler near the spanish border, but hard (or impossible) to verify.

Top Bottom