What's new

Workout Advice

So, I am trying to get back in shape.

I went through a three year period where we moved 4 times and along the way we had our two sons. During that time, I didn't exercise and ate some junk. So, I am out of shape and tired of it.

I have cleaned up my diet, since I know that is the most important aspect. Focusing on eating mainly meat, vegetables, fruit. I haven't cut out all grains, but have limited them. I cut out most highly processed food and high sugar crap though. Since doing that about a month ago, I have lost 5 pounds. I am also starting to exercise twice a week at a gym nearby.

However, since I have not done anything other than run and some push ups, sit ups here and there since college, I need some advice. A litte more information, I am 31 years old. I weigh 82 kilograms (or 182 pounds). I don't care as much about how much I weigh, just want to loose the fat I have gained and be more healthy.

I am interested in doing some sort of weight lifting, I would like to focus on the compound lifts (things like squats, bench press, overhead press, rows, deadlift to name a few). The gym I have started going to is small but the owner seems to know his stuff and is helping me learn the proper technique and form on these lifts.

However, I live in Korea and so there is a language barrier. I would like to find some solid supplemental material that I can explore on my own in addition to what the guy is teaching me. So, any advice on good websites or even books (though those will be more difficult to come by).

Also, any advice on how to structure a workout focusing on those compound lifts I mentioned would be good. I only have two days to workout a week - since my family is my priority and then I am busy with work.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

You can check out bodybuilding.com for workout plans. On their own they are ok but I find they are good for getting new ideas and they also have decent instructional videos. I have done the Kris Gethin 3 month program and I found it to be good. He doesn't use the big 3 (deadlifts, squats, and bench) but he has some decent alternatives.

As you only have two days a week to workout, consider either circuit training or high intensity interval training (HIIT). Both move you between exercises very quickly, promoting both aerobic and anaerobic exercise. Also, don't look at the days you are with your family as non-workout days. Walk with your family, kick a ball around together. It sounds as though your children are very young - kids playgrounds provide opportunities to do pull-ups, dips, etc. Best of luck!

I would suggest you look up names Pavel Tsatsouline or Dan John. Sure it is not going to be a beach body in 30 days, or if you go the pavel way never a beach body. It is strength training they focus on. I can swear by their names that I am strong, but I don't look huge and ripped, I look like an average flab free person, that too is a fact.

Check out StrongLifts 5X5 .... compound-lift based routine. I don't personally use it, but I have a routine that is based around it.

So, I am trying to get back in shape.

I went through a three year period where we moved 4 times and along the way we had our two sons. During that time, I didn't exercise and ate some junk. So, I am out of shape and tired of it.

I have cleaned up my diet, since I know that is the most important aspect. Focusing on eating mainly meat, vegetables, fruit. I haven't cut out all grains, but have limited them. I cut out most highly processed food and high sugar crap though. Since doing that about a month ago, I have lost 5 pounds. I am also starting to exercise twice a week at a gym nearby.

However, since I have not done anything other than run and some push ups, sit ups here and there since college, I need some advice. A litte more information, I am 31 years old. I weigh 82 kilograms (or 182 pounds). I don't care as much about how much I weigh, just want to loose the fat I have gained and be more healthy.

I am interested in doing some sort of weight lifting, I would like to focus on the compound lifts (things like squats, bench press, overhead press, rows, deadlift to name a few). The gym I have started going to is small but the owner seems to know his stuff and is helping me learn the proper technique and form on these lifts.

However, I live in Korea and so there is a language barrier. I would like to find some solid supplemental material that I can explore on my own in addition to what the guy is teaching me. So, any advice on good websites or even books (though those will be more difficult to come by).

Also, any advice on how to structure a workout focusing on those compound lifts I mentioned would be good. I only have two days to workout a week - since my family is my priority and then I am busy with work.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

You can check out bodybuilding.com for workout plans. On their own they are ok but I find they are good for getting new ideas and they also have decent instructional videos. I have done the Kris Gethin 3 month program and I found it to be good. He doesn't use the big 3 (deadlifts, squats, and bench) but he has some decent alternatives.

I am a senior member there too, a great site with good Mods , i consider it the Badger and Blade of fitness. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16

I had good luck with the Body for Life workout plan. What helped me was how it would structure the workouts. Half of the struggle seems to be waking into the gym and not knowing where to start. The bfl plan breaks it into upper and lower body, and gives 2 exercises per muscle group. Example: chest workout 1st lift Bench Press sets of 12, 10, 8, 6, 12 then a 2nd lift Fly's for 12 reps.

I honestly don't follow the whole plan, but it really serves as a good guideline to map out a workout. If the benches are all taken up, maybe you start with shoulders or back, then you just go from there. They have a pdf you can download as a workout sheet too if it helps. Seems like time is precious and limited so any plan you go with, coming up with a good "plan of attack" will really help.

As one member of the community mentioned before, try the StrongLifs 5x5.
http://stronglifts.com/

If you would like videos and some discussion (in English), this younger gentleman is quite knowledgeable and majority of the time is effective and accurate.
https://www.youtube.com/user/CanditoTrainingHQ

If I may suggest some other tips and advice?
- How ever many carbohydrates you eat during the duration of the day, try and eat them either around your breakfast or your lunch and not dinner.
- Cut out as much of the things you drink as possible. Keep it to strictly coffee or tea and water. Cut alcohol as much as possible and drink LOTS of water every day (keep this consistent).
- Keep an organized sleeping routine (try and sleep at the same time every evening and wake up around the same time every day). This is so important to maintaining your weight and a healthy rhythm.
- Cut out fried and refined meal items.
- Try doing some research on your blood type and what are good foods for yourself (some do not believe it in, but it may be helpful).
- Get your heart rate up and include some cardiovascular work!

Great tool to learn exercises and muscle groups:
http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

Lastly, believe in yourself! Keep at it and do not give up. Everyday you can improve in an area, big or small and it makes a difference. Consistency is equivalent to greatness!

Best of luck my friend. :a20:

Starting Strength. Great resource for getting into weightlifting, but will challenge you for years.

+1 for this. Starting Strength is an excellent program for beginner and intermediate lifters. There are a lot of programs out there that will get you big and strong, but SS is one of the best known IMHO.

+1 on the Stronglifts.
I'm only on week two, but the program makes a lot of sense, and there's a great forum (not free but not expensive).
I'm in Japan and have managed to get started OK.

Personally, I'd go with Starting Strength. Stronlifts is essentially SS minus the Power Cleans because so many people fear doing them. Buy Mark Rippetoe's book and you'll be glad you did.

Stronglifts. Then when you aren't making gains anymore, switch to the "Texas Method."
Best lifts, squat 410, bench 280, deadlift 435
Body weight, 170 lbs height 5'10"
You'll get STRONG, and build lean muscle, which will cause you to burn fat like crazy.

Might want to start with the book The New Rules of Lifting. If you plan on doing compound lifts this would be a great start for you.
http://www.amazon.com/The-New-Rules-Lifting-Maximum/dp/158333338X

As mentioned above bodybuilding.com is a good source for articles and programs. Of course its a business and they are trying to sell you supplements, but they never say you need these supplements or this program wont work for you. Iv'e used them many times and always have had great customer service if you do need any supplements(really just need some Whey though).

Hi, as an avocation I spend about 10 hours/week teaching kettlebells and basic lifts. Also, I oversee fitness for my Wing (1500+ people). Training is definitely a passion for me.

You have received a ton of good advice. I strongly recommend Dan John's marvelous book "Intervention." Coach John is one of the top trainers in the U.S. He's one of those guys who can take four pages and turn it into a simple paragraph that makes you pop your head and say "of course! That's all you gotta do!" His articles are all over the web, he is straightforward, to the point, and oozes common sense. Oh, there are quite a few professional athletes and Olympians among his clientele.

Pavel Tsatsouline is a genius. In 1998, he reintroduced the kettlebell to the U.S. He is a mastermind trainer; I strongly recommend his book "Power to the People," with which I made tremendous gains by just deadlifting and pressing. His book "Enter the Kettlebell" and "Simple and Sinister" are also fantastic. If you have access to a kettlebell you simply cannot do without "ETK."

Dan John and Pavel teamed up to write "Easy Strength," an excellent book.

Mark Rippetoe…"Rip" is amazing! As previously mentioned, his "Starting Strength" book is fantastic. He simply and completely lays out the major lifts and how to get strong. Also, you MUST look up his quotes on the internet. He is, to put it mildly, "colorful." Some of the things he says will have you howling with laughter!

As mentioned, bodybuilding.com is an excellent site, as is t-nation.com. Pick and choose among the articles. Some will suit you and some won't. Dan John has a forum on davedraper.com It is a LOT like badger & blade. A community of like-minded people who treat each other with respect.

I'm coming in on the side of the Starting Strength advocates.

I tried stronglifts before I did Starting Strength, but it didn't feel as well designed. I suggest getting Starting Strength 3rd edition, reading it, and following the program strictly for a few months before you allow yourself to tinker with the program (the DVD isn't a bad purchase either, though the author has a youtube channel that covers some of the same material, and in some cases, the teaching methods have improved).

I know of a few people who follow SS and who run on their non-lifting days, so it probably wouldn't clash with, say, the Couch to 5K running program I think.

Afterthought: I say "follow the program strictly"- maybe take some of the dietary advice with a metaphorical pinch of salt. If you're not eating enough, your body will tell you. Preemptively drinking a gallon of milk a day is a bit much.

-John

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Pavel Tsatsouline is a genius. In 1998, he reintroduced the kettlebell to the U.S. He is a mastermind trainer; I strongly recommend his book "Power to the People," with which I made tremendous gains by just deadlifting and pressing. His book "Enter the Kettlebell" and "Simple and Sinister" are also fantastic. If you have access to a kettlebell you simply cannot do without "ETK."

Top Bottom