What's new

Smartwool vs Darn Tough socks

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
So I have worn Smartwool socks for awhile now, and have been pleased. I read an advertisement for Darn Tough socks, and they carry a lifetime guarantee. I picked up two pair at REI today, and will give them a go. Has anyone tried them out?

I have a few pair; definitely very nice. I've only had them for ~4 months or so, but no signs of slowing down.

Edit: just realized I'm wearing a pair now….

proxy.php

Last edited:
I"ve been tempted to branch out but when you get 3-4 years out of a pair of smartwool medium weight hiking socks, they get kind of hard to beat...

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
I think i got about 3 years out of my current batch of smart wool. The only reason I didn't get a longer shelf life was because I wore Crocs for work. The rubber sort of tore them apart. I am going to give the Darn Tough a go tomorrow at work.

I have to give a shout out for Keen socks. Smart wool socks have alway made my feet sweat. I'm at 3 or 4 years on 3 pair of keens that have seen everything from office wear to construction site. Haven't tried the darn toughs.

I have just tried out a pair of Darn Tough, I bought a pair of "micro crew cushion" to compare to my SmartWool socks. I should have bought a pair in full crew / boot cut length, because the micro crew length is noticeably short - distractingly so I would have to say.

The footbed seems fine, but the length is just odd.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
The quality of smart wools has been hit or miss for me. Some pairs wear for years, but others wear out the heals and toes in 6 months. Switched to Darn Tough about a year ago and so far my socks don't even look worn.

Smartwool-made in China.
Darn Tough-made in Vermont.
Only one has a guarantee.
Turn them inside out and look at how much higher quality construction the DT's have.
Much better selection too.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
I have just tried out a pair of Darn Tough, I bought a pair of "micro crew cushion" to compare to my SmartWool socks. I should have bought a pair in full crew / boot cut length, because the micro crew length is noticeably short - distractingly so I would have to say.

The footbed seems fine, but the length is just odd.

I think I bought the 1/4 crew. While it does go over my ankle, it is a bit odd. I'll be buying more for sure.

Keen socks also have the lifetime replacement guarantee, if you get the ones called 'Olympus'. I've had 3-4 models of Keen merino wool socks, probably 30 pair, and they're all still going strong after 3 years.

Ill have to check these socks out.

Im a big fan of the costco hiking sock. At around $10 for a 3 pack they are an excellent value. I've heard they are rebranded Smartwool socks and holding them in comparison I can see how that is possibly true.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Just took delivery of a big shipment. First out of the bag for tonight's night shift.

On a side note I did find an odd occurrence. Before I made this big purchase, I decided to try the micro crew I referenced above. The first pair were superb. Very comfortable, and the tops were not too tight. The second pair, well thats a horse of a different color. Immediately one sock felt tighter than the other across the foot at the bend. I decided to try stretching the sock before wearing. That seemed to help a bit. After a ten hour day of wearing them, my feet were hurting. When i took the sock off, I had red marks across my foot on the tight sock. I did wash it, and believe it or not, one sock turn out shorter than the other out of the dryer. I did follow the manufacturer's recommendation on wash. I may send them an email. Hopefully all the socks I ordered fit better, and do not have this issue.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Darn Tough socks are just weird. So short. Like a German Tourist look. Too bad, they look like great products otherwise.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Darn Tough socks are just weird. So short. Like a German Tourist look. Too bad, they look like great products otherwise.

Your probably looking at the mini crew. They do make regular and tall socks.

I ususally wear nothing but over the calf socks, especially for dress. It's a personal thing with me and having to pull my socks up all the time, because I can't stand that feeling around my ankles. Smart wool doesn't offer any OTC while Darn Tough offers one in a boot sock; with or without cushion. They come in a green and a charcoal so my colors are limited.

Maybe someday they will produce an OTC.

Top Bottom