What's new

Stubble Trouble's Straight Journey

Possible stropping rolled

It is not uncommon for beginners to "roll" the edge stropping the razor. I would try my balsa strop with the green and red pastes to see if it can bring the edge back. If that doesn't work, I'd send it out to be honed.

I didn't strop it. A known pro, Buca did, and it was just sent to me intact yesterday. What I can say is that after watching more videos and looking at the shavewiki here, it looks like my angle was far too shallow.

What I would recommend is doing the cheek, the easiest side and taking a pass down, it should cut completely and smoothly. Start at the lowest angle and increase it slightly if you have to. Just to find the angle only.

What I would recommend is doing the cheek, the easiest side and taking a pass down, it should cut completely and smoothly. Start at the lowest angle and increase it slightly if you have to. Just to find the angle only.

I think that's the culprit. I didn't 'find' the angle last night. Going to shave again with the Gold Dollar, which I carefully stropped last night post shave. I made sure to keep it flat and to roll on the spine, while not using too much pressure. Thanks again for all!

Shave No: 4

Strop: Buca's Strop - 20/50 Pre/Post
Time Since Last Hone: 2 Day
Hones: Unknown
Prep: Shower, scrub beard with Cetaphil, rinse, repeat, hydrate well
Brush: Semogue 1250 Boar
Software: Tabac
Razor: Gold Dollar - 3/4 - Round Point
Growth (days): 0.5
Method: Three Passes - WTG, WTG, some XTG

Results: Much better today - CCS, even bordering DFS in a few spots. Two very small weepers and one very close call on my jaw. Slight irritation on my lower neck and a few spots that are glowing a bit.

Remarks: The steeper angle helped (never beyond 20, I'd say) and the razor's definitely honed to sharpness, as Buca implied. I lost concentration for a second and the razor warned before it really dug into my jawline, so no blood letting, just that little red line. I accidentally did a lateral motion with the blade in contact. No worries, it was enjoyable and I accept the challenge!

The stropping's going relatively well, too. It's the first few laps that seem to be the danger zone in regards to turning on the spine and not digging the blade into the leather or fabric, and I can definitely see what Lynn Abrams means when he talks about finding the rhythm. This is turning out to be somewhat different that I expected. The direct feedback of the razor is definitely what I envisioned, but I didn't think I'd be getting fairly acceptable shaves so quickly.

This method seems to like more water in the lather...

Questions:

None.

Work On: Angle, Stropping, Pressure, Proper Handling, etc.

Great news! We have to continue working in the same direction. This doesnt happen in a day or a week or a month, but a little every day! Keep it up man! You know we are rooting for you!

Great news! We have to continue working in the same direction. This doesnt happen in a day or a week or a month, but a little every day! Keep it up man! You know we are rooting for you!

Sporting a little red line on my jaw. My first battle scar :lol:

And there's no question that razor is sheee arp!

View attachment 420914

Finding the right angle is key in the beginning. Congrats on your success. Be careful of going too steep though, an easy mistake to make in the beginning.

If that battle scar is going to be your worst one, then you're doing well! Mine was much worse than that and is still a reminder to me to stretch my skin and keep it flat in front of where I'm shaving!

View attachment 420914

Finding the right angle is key in the beginning. Congrats on your success. Be careful of going too steep though, an easy mistake to make in the beginning.

If that battle scar is going to be your worst one, then you're doing well! Mine was much worse than that and is still a reminder to me to stretch my skin and keep it flat in front of where I'm shaving!

Yup. I went to move the blade without picking it up! The Un-Safety Razor!

Shave No: 5

Strop: Buca Strop- 20/50 Laps
Time Since Last Hone: 3 Days
Hones: Chosera 1K, 2K, 5K / Suehiro 10, 15, 20 Japanese synthetic stones
Brush: Mühle Silver Tip Badger
Software: Napa Soap Company
Razor: Redge Sheffield Made - 9/16 - Round Point
Growth (days): 0.5

Results: CCS. Think I may need to touch up this razor??? Quite a few weepers and not nearly as comfortable as before. I suppose this is the results of noob technique on a razor.

I didn't really need to shave, but I couldn't resist and had enough growth to try it. Definitely some glow, but no visible irritation. The Osage Rub gave the most feedback I remember in a long time.

Remarks: Lots of variables to figure out...

Edit: I still can't believe I'm shaving with a straight... A vintage Sheffield razor. Did it come here with an immigrant? How old is it? How many have used it before me? Suddenly, the 50's (and my 'vintage' superspeeds and techs) seem really young!

Last edited:
Shave No: 6

Time Since Last Hone: 3 Days
Brush: Mühle silver tip
Software: Tabac
Growth (days): 1.0

Results: CCS+ No irritation, weepers (except for an ingrown that developed on my cheek that the razor decided to remove for me) and no burning. Just a slight glow on the lower neck.

Remarks: What can I say? Either my technique was really poor last night, or I possibly rounded the other razor???

Concentration, as to be expected, is the word of the day. There were a few times where I went to move the razor in a way I shouldn't have, and logic kicked in to stop me! Anyway, this is coming along faster than I thought, even though I clearly have a challenge on my hands.

Questions:
How the hell do I hold the razor for that pass??? :tongue_sm

Shave No: 7

Time Since Last Hone: 4 Days
Brush: Semogue 1250 Boar
Software: Stirling Lime (Many thanks to capmeo for the puck and tin!)
Growth (days): 1

Results: CCS+ One cut on the neck below the ear.

Remarks: Things are still progressing well, and I feel as though I'm getting more confidence, which may not be all good :tongue_sm

Questions: So the 'line' on my face from a few days ago is slightly raised and therefore more visible from an angle than before. Can anyone give an idea if I should be concerned about this becoming a permanent scar? At the time of the cut it never bled out, and behaved more like a weeper for a time post shave. A day later, it turned a bit more red and yesterday a bit raised as described. Thanks!

Edit: Neosporin / Savlon work for anyone? Never thought about these for shave cuts, as I've really not had an issue till now!

Work On: Stretching the skin! Angle, Stropping, Pressure, Proper Handling, etc.

Last edited:
It sounds like something is irritating the cut. I've never had anything like that from shaving. I think I would use Neosporin to hopefully kill any possible infection. I would also try to figure out if any of your skin products is irritating the cut.

Last edited:
It sounds like something is irritating the cut. I've never had anything like that from shaving. I think I would use Neosporin to hopefully kill any possible infection. I would also try to figure out if any of your skin products is irritating the cut.

Neosporin saved me from a few permanent marks; not all, unfortunately.

Thanks to you both for your help. The cut wasn't deep at all and actually took a day to even show. It's getting plenty of antiseptic now!

Here it is - 3" 'Big Daddy' Black Latigo from Star Shaving.

$Star_Strop_01.jpg
$Star_Strop_02.jpg

It was nice to use and I'll be sure to post the results of my shave once completed!

Top Bottom