What's new

To fedora or not?

I'm in my 50s, won't say how far along, but I love the look of a black fedora hat. I want to to get one or two (spring/summer, fall/sinter), would I be "in style" or just an old gut wearing a hat. Don't really care what people think, but I don't want to be that crazy guy either. Would appreciate any input, and you can be honest, I can handle the truth. Lol

I am 45, I wear mine proudly, don't really care what others think...been told I look like Eisenberg (?) from Breaking Bad with it on, but I have never seen the show....

Buy one and wear it. I'm in my fifties as well and own an black Akubra Federation IV. When I go outside, I'm wearing it.

When asked about them I didn't realize just what it entailed however. First is what is your hat size? Next is what material do you want? There is felt, beaver, rabbit and others. There is wool, synthetic etc. Then what price are you willing to pay? A quality fedora will run about $150. You can find lesser quality on Amazon for less price.

I would start with hatsdirect.com. Other guys here probably have other good sites as well. Akubra is one of the better hat makers out there.

And then there is the crease. Of which there are many. Humphrey Bogart and Indiana Jones are two styles of creases and are different from each other.

Lastly, have fun looking for and wearing your new hat.
View attachment 419199View attachment 419200

Last edited:
Wear a fedora and wear it proudly I own several and I never go out without a fedora on my noggin. I have a couple in grey for my darker clothes and a couple in shades of brown for my more casual look, along with a couple of Panamas for spring and summer. I will be 62 very soon, so I don't care if folks think I am an old fart because I AM an old fart and I will wear what makes me happy.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
47 and I wear mine. Now and then I get a comment or question about it. "It's just my hat" is something along the lines of my nonchalant response.

Fedora makes my face and head look kind of "tall". I went with a diamond crown stingy brim porkpie. I really like it.

Fedora makes my face and head look kind of "tall". I went with a diamond crown stingy brim porkpie. I really like it.

Still looking for a stingy brim pork pie that fits my face well.

As for a place to shop, for mid end hats, I like shoebuy.com. Free shipping and free returns. And usually 20% off on the weekends. They carry many brands. I usually keep an eye out on their Bailey's.

I've been wearing fedoras for about 8 years. I'm almost 50. They're one of the best reasons to go to Cincinnati, imo.

If you're in your 50's you should be OK as long as you're wearing it with nicer clothes and not t-shirts. Proceed with caution. For a summer hat I would probably say go with a lighter grey, tan, or more appropriately one in straw.

It's not generally a good look for anyone under 40 though. You really risk looking like an internet nerd. Generally I'm anti-fedora, but it works as you get older.

Never make the mistake of thinking you look like Indiana Jones or Bogart though:

proxy.php

My Dad always wore one when I was a kid, he is 91. We lived in the Bronx and all the men wore them. I think it kinda skipped my generation. If I'm casual I usually wear a baseball type cap. Dressed up no hat.

Not a lot of difference between a trilby & fedora. I would use lock& co in london for hats. I have worn a long time but it is a pain when you go in restaurant & have no place to put. No one has hat racks anymore.

From my observations while buying mine, it seemed the fedora had a wider brim. But yes, they do look similar.

As to the crease. Some hats are sold with the crease already done. Some are sold as open crown, meaning they have no crease, you can put the style you want. Depending on the material, however, you can steam out the crease and put one more to your style. There are videos on YouTube how to do that.

The fedora has a little wider brim. If you look at both on lock & co website, the English versions are quite close. I am a fan the fedora Harrison ford wore & also the trilby Connery wore. Its a toss up for me.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I'm in my 50s, won't say how far along, but I love the look of a black fedora hat. I want to to get one or two (spring/summer, fall/sinter), would I be "in style" or just an old gut wearing a hat. Don't really care what people think, but I don't want to be that crazy guy either. Would appreciate any input, and you can be honest, I can handle the truth. Lol

proxy.php

You would probably look better with a service cap.

Top Bottom