What's new

What are YOUR fashion pet peeves?

yeah, yeah, I know, live and let live, judge not lest ye be judged, who cares what anybody else wears, blah blah blah. When we refuse to judge ANYTHING, we stand for NOTHING. So, in the spirit of preventing anyone here from becoming a "hollow man" (copyright: Eliot), I am going to ask you to judge and to JUDGE HARSHLY. What are your fashion pet peeves?! From a purely sartorial perspective, what do you view with utter disdain?! I shall commence the proceedings by stating that, IMHO, the 1970's had the ugliest/tackiest/worst fashion and fads of ANY DECADE EVER. I will also add that it really burns me up to see guys trying to pull off the whole Johnny Cash "black on black" or Regis Philbin (circa "Who Wants to be a Millionaire") dark coloured tie on dark coloured shirt thing, since you deprive black of all its inherent, transcendent power by pairing it with itself or any other dark colour. As you might imagine, I find that to be HIGHLY offensive to black, itself. To properly respect black, you must pair it with a contrasting light colour, thereby permitting its singular, aesthetic magnificence to be witnessed by ALL.

proxy.php

Last edited:
The whole of America's dressing down and slobbing about in public!

That, and the 4-day unshaven look.

No one has to dress to suit me but I'm not required to like their lack of taste either.

Legion

Staff member
Seems to be a hipster fashion at the moment, dress shoes and no socks. What is up with that??

Two words: skinny. jeans. Also, people that wear their pants hanging halfway around their butt, "burger-flipper" hats, ripped up jeans and other sorts of debauchery...

For me, it is the shear lack of self disrespect. I see these kids, and most adults now too, dressing like slobs. if you are not fortunate to own good cloths, at least shave, comb your hair, and try to smell decent. You NEVER know when you might run into someone, or be in a situation where your first impression might have made all the difference. Especially if your trying to find work. You should always attempt to look your best when you step out of the house. People know when you at least tried to give a crap.

"Sagging". Wearing oversized pants and letting them sag down with the underwear showing. Puts me right over the edge. I find it inappropriate in public. And any other "fashion statement" that allows one's underwear to show, male or female.

In the UK there is a current trend of some "benefit class" people to wear pyjama onesies out of the house; going to the shops, picking up their kids from school, visiting the job centre... keep that shot indoors guys!

-Flat brimmed, over-sized baseball/trucker style hats with the brim wore backwards, sideways or any other angle other than straight forward (think Justin Bieber)
-Pants hanging down with the underwear showing or drop-crotch pants (think Justin Bieber)
-Practically anything Justin Bieber wears or that tends to belong to that rap/hip hop culture
-Wild striped or patterned socks aimed at adding color or flair to a suit. They would normally be known as mismatched to the outfit. Why are they OK now?
-The checked shirt worn with a patterned tie worn with a suit.
-Pajama bottoms and/or slippers worn in public
-White athletic socks as a "catch-all" wardrobe staple to be worn with everything. I don't even like them with jeans.
-Socks with sandals. Why? What's the point?

You guys have covered most of mine, but one small thing bothers me, and I hope I don't offend anyone, but I really do not like a button down Oxford shirt with a suite. Save those for sport coats and blazers.

In the UK there is a current trend of some "benefit class" people to wear pyjama onesies out of the house; going to the shops, picking up their kids from school, visiting the job centre... keep that shot indoors guys!

My friend has worn her onesie to the local supermarket a couple of times now. She's a Judge.

Are hairstyles a part of fashion? If so, my pet peeve is the faux hawk. People have been rocking this for more than a decade and I think it looks very silly. Add the axe wax, harmful chemical gel junk or whatever else is used to get that unfortunate shiny, wet, artificial look to resemble a immature 13 year old boy. It drives me frikkan bonkers. Just my opinion though.

Top Bottom