What's new

Thoughts on straight blades

I am looking to get my feet wet in this realm. I don't want to spend a ton on my first purchase. Any advice? I know the WD has been mentioned. I also found a china gold star blade with a strop for 77 bucks shipped. I also have considered a shavette, but want the weight and feel of a true straight. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

WD is a good starter for the money along with the strop kits that larry sells. As for the Chinese razor, I would avoid anything that hasn't been modified (i.e. the gold dollar mods). You can buy a modified and honed Gold Dollar from either buca, or Seraphim or one of the other hobbyists, and they have great results and feedback. Honestly, I would say that your best options are: a vintage off the BST, a modified GD, or a WD setup. I would stay away from the cheapie chinese and pakistani razors on the bay unless you're prepared to spend more to send them off to be modified and/or honed. Just my two cents. Good luck Sir!

WD is a good starter for the money along with the strop kits that larry sells. As for the Chinese razor, I would avoid anything that hasn't been modified (i.e. the gold dollar mods). You can buy a modified and honed Gold Dollar from either buca, or Seraphim or one of the other hobbyists, and they have great results and feedback. Honestly, I would say that your best options are: a vintage off the BST, a modified GD, or a WD setup. I would stay away from the cheapie chinese and pakistani razors on the bay unless you're prepared to spend more to send them off to be modified and/or honed. Just my two cents. Good luck Sir!

Soldierdan's got it right. Your best option is a shave ready vintage razor, from one of the sources he refers to. His advice is sound.

Thank you for your input. I have spoken with Larry, so if I decide my order is in the works.

from one GTfan to another...
I've also been down this road.
and I would suggest the shavette route.
If for no other reason than to eliminate the variables of sharpness and stropping.
Not to be misunderstood, I enjoy my regular straights and continue to use them.
But for starting out, a Kai or Feather is great.
I'd also suggest the Feather proguard blades.
This will focus your learning curve on actual shave techniques and razor handling.
Just my 2c.

If for no other reason than to eliminate the variables of sharpness and stropping.
This will focus your learning curve on actual shave techniques and razor handling.
Just my 2c.
If you still have factory replaceable blades you might as well stick with the Venus razor.
maintaining a blade to its sharper potential and owning a gorgeous piece of art you get to use every morning is a big part of the appeal.

If the goal is just to get rid of hair then there are creams that do that ...

Just my 2c.

I have been eyeing the Feather, but at that price why not just buy a Dovo straight? Stropping doesn't seem that difficult. Are you saying it would be that hard to keep the straights sharp?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I have been eyeing the Feather, but at that price why not just buy a Dovo straight? Stropping doesn't seem that difficult. Are you saying it would be that hard to keep the straights sharp?

Are you the type that likes to spend 6 hours smoking ribs in the backyard? Or do you prefer going down to the local pit? Would you prefer to change out your own clutch over the weekend or do you prefer to take it down to Midas? Traditional straight shaving is an exercise in frustration when you first start out. The shaves are kinda crappy, the aftershave burns, the razor seems to dull just by looking at it, you slice your strop. Then when you want to resharpen your blade you need to send it out or spend another wad of cash and another month of frustration learning how to hone.

A shavette? Stick a blade into it and start shaving. Dull it? Pop in a new blade. Drop it in the sink and crack the blade? Pop in new one. It's always sharp so crappy shaves are 100% user error.

I started out with traditional straights, and went though the crappy shaves, sliced strop, wondering if my razor was sharp enough, buying several different honing progressions, etc.etc.etc. I had a bunch of fun and wouldn't do it any other way. I also have a Feather AC, sold a Feather SS, and just picked up a Universal Italian Shavette from the Doc. I also have a bunch of DE and SE razors as well. So despite my start, I love to shave with all different kinds of methods.

Straight razor shaving is a difficult endeavor regardless of the implement. I would do a bunch of research to see what your comfort level is, and jump in both feet first. YMMV!!

Top Bottom