What's new

Do you use oil on your DE threads?

Do you use oil to lubricate/protect the threads on your DE's?

• Yes - I apply oil weekly or more.

• Yes - I apply oil monthly or more.

• Yes - I apply oil every few months or more.

• Yes - I apply oil ~once or twice a year

• Yes - I apply oil, but not annually.

• No - I don't ever apply oil.

Results are only viewable after voting.
This thread was inspired by a recent comment on one of the (many) recent R41 threads. I'm interested to know how many/what proportion of people out there use oil to lubricate/protect the threads on your DE's. If you do use oil, how often do you apply it, what brand do you use, and why do you think it's necessary?

I think it would be really interesting to get a feel for what the B&B population does in this regard. Until the recent comment on the R41 post, I had never heard of lubricating DE threads before. Obviously this question is directed toward 2 and 3 piece razors. Perhaps this is a practice that more of us should adopt.

- Badger Bill

Last edited:
I only do this for the zamack heads. Chrome or nickel over brass? Not so much. I need to do all I can do preserve my 2011 R41. I wouldn't really worry about the more commonly found zamack razors. I just like my 2011 that much.

I think lubing the threads on razors is overkill. When you buy a 1930s razor in an antique store, for instance, and then lubricate its threads it is probably the first time those threads have ever been lubricated. Yet they have lasted a "lifetime."

Having said that, though, I lubricate the threads of a newly pruchased razor one time, and that is it. I use the tiniest amount of waterprood white grease, as it is more resistant to water than a typical oil. I've never done it a second time, and I don't anticipate doing it again.

My Schick I2 Hydromagic levers are a testament as to how Zinc will behave over the years. It was gold plated initially, but every one I have purchased used is a dull dark gray with sprinkles of gold. A 1930's razor is usually brass, not zinc. A Muhle 2011 R41 head is not brass.

I think lubing the threads on razors is overkill. When you buy a 1930s razor in an antique store, for instance, and then lubricate its threads it is probably the first time those threads have ever been lubricated. Yet they have lasted a "lifetime."<<snippett>>

I am under the impression that they put some sort of a lacquer (maybe nitrocellulose?) on the threads of older Gillette razors. A few months ago, I replated a screw cap that was made for the Gillette New, and I was unable to entirely remove the substance from the threading. It's a reddish color--I suppose it could also be an oxide. Whatever it is, I suppose it might help preserve the threads.

Having said that, though, I lubricate the threads of a newly pruchased razor one time, and that is it. I use the tiniest amount of waterprood white grease, as it is more resistant to water than a typical oil. I've never done it a second time, and I don't anticipate doing it again.

That is exactly what I do.

After reading the same comments you refer too...I put a tiny spray of Ballistol on the threads of the R41 head. First time ever....can't hurt!

I do so with 3-in-1 oil. Now that I'm drying my razors by dipping in alcohol (rather than breaking them down after every shave), I'll probably do it every time I change the blade.

What is this? Is there a specific product/brand that you use? And where would you buy it?

Never heard of it, in case you can't tell. :lol: :thumbup:

Hi,

He is referring to Lubriplate, lithium based, used in fishing reels, outboard motor bevel gears and the like. You can get it in any hardware store, even the Big Box ones, and most grocery stores too.

Not that any razor I have seen would need any. They have loose threads on purpose so shaving residue will not cause an issue.

Stan

I put a small amount on every vintage razor I clean, as part of my cleaning procedure. The penetrating oils have some solvent to clean away corrosion, etc. , and may help remove any corrosion that exists. I would only repeat a drop of lubricating type oil if the threads became a little sticky during blade changes.

No. I've considered it, thought about it, tried it, and decided there's no point in using an "oil" on a razor. Dielectric silicone grease, or perhaps some other grease for protection during long storage.....maybe. My concern, and it might be a bogus concern, is that an oil might make it's way between two layers of different material. Some oils like Kroil creep massively and can supposedly make their way into gaps as small as a millionth of an inch.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
I put gun grease on the threads of my 3 piece razors when I change blades and clean the razor at that time. I do it to help keep water from going into the hollow bar handle on a Gillette NEW. I also do it to my Weber; it definitely keeps water from reaching threads because the Weber has a flat bottomed guard plate, the typical Gillette NEW does not. Does it help? I think so. Is it neccessary? Probably not. I voted weekly because that is closest to my method if I use the same razor. If you do this, I think almost any grease/oil/petoleum jelly will do.

Last edited:
Top Bottom