What's new

Vintage Straight Blade

Good afternoon/morning Gentlemen,

I was wondering if someone with a little knowledge on straight blades could help me out on a little personal matter.

Less than a week ago my grandfather passed away of cancer, now you're probably wondering what on earth this actually means to a forum dedicated to the fine art of shaving. Well, he was an old fashioned barber who enjoyed giving his fellow man a great haircut and a great shave.

At the moment, we're going through pictures, his belongings and we stumbled upon his very first straight blade I believe and I was wondering if someone could shed some light on how old it is. I've had a quick glance but struggled to see any references to dates.

Pictures:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I've personally never used a straight blade from Merkur, I'm a D/E user myself and only experienced my first straight blade shave while I was on holiday on the west coast (I'm in the UK by the way). I managed to get a fine shave at the Bellagio of all places.

Anyway, I hope you don't mind the thread - just wanted some knowledge on the blade. It's rather difficult to ask my greek grandfather now .... :blush:

Last edited:

Mike H

Instagram Famous
I am sorry for your loss stevelor. Was the name on the blade your grandfathers name?
The blade is identified as a Merkur, the box does go with the razor. Emil Hermes started a razor company in Solingen-Merscheid Germany

Emil Hermes, Merkur-Werk, Solingen-Merscheid in 1920, 1922 and 1932, Brand names 'Merkur'. Open-blade razor and safety-razor maker.

I am sorry for your loss stevelor. Was the name on the blade your grandfathers name?
The blade is identified as a Merkur, the box does go with the razor. Emil Hermes started a razor company in Solingen-Merscheid Germany

Emil Hermes, Merkur-Werk, Solingen-Merscheid in 1920, 1922 and 1932, Brand names 'Merkur'. Open-blade razor and safety-razor maker.

The engraving isn't my grandfathers name, I believe the blade already featured the name and he brought it new from what I've managed to find out.

Top Bottom