What's new

The oiled Feather is silent.

I continue to be amazed at how much a small change in shaving prep and equipment can have on the shaving experience, after all, all razor blades are created equal, right ?

Since getting back into wet shaving I’ve been using the Proraso green pre-shave cream, and whilst I loved it’s scent and slight tingle, and whilst it did help with keeping my stubble moist, I never felt it aided lubrication, so recently I picked up some e-shave pre-shave oil to try. Also I’ve been using Derby blades since re-starting as that was what came with my EJ89. I was interested in trying the fabled Feather blades, and had purchased a few packs, but decided that as I was starting from a position of poor technique I would refine my technique with 3 or 4 packs of the “milder” Derby’s before trying the (fearsome) Feathers. My aim was to just try one new thing at a time, for at least a week or more, just so I could tell if it was better or not.

Last night I was going to just try the pre-shave oil, but on my previous shave I had a bad Derby blade, which really tugged on every pass despite being it’s first use, so I decided to try a Feather as well as the oil for the first time.

Damn, I never realized a shave could feel so different :w00t:

So, shower, a couple small drops of pre-shave oil worked into my face, mix lather in bowl, lather face, shave.

The first thing I noticed was the lack of audible feedback. I had gotten used to judging the angle of my razor by the very faint rasp of razor on stubble, but through a combination of pre-shave oil and possibly the Feather, there was no sound at all. During prep I was worried that just two drops of oil wasn’t going to be enough, as I could barely feel it, but once I began shaving I could feel it immediately, as it was a completely different sensation, the razor seemed to move slower, but at the same time it was noticeable a more fluid movement over the skin. Initially during my first pass I was worried that the razor was gliding over the top of the stubble rather than cutting it, which would explain the smoothness and lack of audible rasp. However after my first rinse I could tell I was completely wrong, because even after the first pass my face was smoother than any other first pass I had ever experienced. I did end up with a couple weepers, mainly because the shave was so smooth I forgot to keep it slow, but without doubt it was my closest and smoothest shave to date.

Amazing what difference a small change can make :001_tt1:

Congratulations on a well oiled shave. I am a newbie as well. I am working my way through a sample pack of blades and saving the feathers for last.

Great to hear.

Can you confirm : you added oil to the lather or directly to your face and then lathered only the soap on top of the oiled face?

Some folks mention adding it to the lather occaisionally.

Thanks

Last edited:
Congratulations on discovering Feathers. Many people are afraid of the Feather, but all blades are sharp and can cut you. If you do it right, Feathers are no more of a problem than any other blade, and are better than any others I have tried.

Great to hear.

Can you confirm : you added oil to the lather or directly to your face and then lathered only the soap on top of the oiled face?

Hi Hkspwrsche
Basically the same prep I used to use for the green Prosaraso.

Shower, then whilst my face was still damp I rubbed in a couple drops of the oil, let the oil soak in whilst I prepared my lather, when the lather was ready I very lightly wetted my face again (didn't want to remove the oil), then lathered straight on top.

I found it quite a difficult sensation to describe. I said the razor moved slower, but it certainly didn't resist. Probably a better description would have been to say it glided over my skin, rather than skimmed over the top of it. Certainly a pleasant sensation though.

Congratulations on discovering Feathers. Many people are afraid of the Feather, but all blades are sharp and can cut you. If you do it right, Feathers are no more of a problem than any other blade, and are better than any others I have tried.
+1. Feather and Permasharp never gave me an irritation compared to the other blades.

Top Bottom